Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Frankfurt Airport Duty Free - any advice???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Frankfurt Airport Duty Free - any advice???

Postby WestVanDave » Fri May 05, 2006 3:04 am

I will have a short stop (an hour and a half) at the Frankfurt airport on the way to Italy in a week or so... and then will have a long stop (4 hours) on the way back home three weeks later...(did I mention I was going to Italy???).

I hope to have a few minutes to grab a bottle or three at the duty free for enjoying while watching the Tuscan sunsets... and to scout buying opportunities on the return to Canada.

If anyone has had experience with the Frankfurt duty free - please advice away. In particular I woud be interested in bottlings unique to the German market (I hear there are a few Glenfarcli hiding over there)...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 am

Do I recall correctly reading that if you are traveling within the EU, you are not entitled to buy duty-free? You'd still be okay on the return trip, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri May 05, 2006 3:11 am

Thanks for the tip Mr. T. I'll look into that (or wait for corroboration)...

If not duty-free - would anyone know if whisky could be bought at the Frankfurt airport? I'm guessing the supply might be better than in Lucignano?
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 05, 2006 4:51 am

Remember Dave, they have loads of whisky in Italy too, looks for a 5 year old Glen Grant, it's very good, very malty.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 am

Duty Free as a concept within the EU has disappeared, but the airport authorities who run and control airport shopping know a good thing when they see it, therefore, although it is no longer possible to buy whisky and other items "Tax Free" for journeys within the EU, the shops still exist and sell the same items to ALL travellers, but not tax free.

This does mean that prices can often be no cheaper than high street prices, sometimes even a little more expensive, but the selection is often good - especially somewhere like Whiskies of the World at Heathrow (T1) and Stansted. The advantage? NO LIMIT on the amount any more!!!

I believe the one thing you cannot buy for journeys within the EU is cigarettes.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 05, 2006 6:02 am

Good info WH. Remember we Canadians are looking for the unusual as a first priority and price can often play a secondary part. We simply don't have the selection here so any chance we have to add to our collections/bars is always appreciated.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 6:12 am

Hi Lawrence,
I fully understand that sentiment. Even though I am blessed with lots of opportunities to buy here in Germany, I also use airports for trying to find that "something special". Here in Munich the airport selection is dreadful. Totally inadequate. But those WoW shops that I know in Stansted and Heathrow are superb. I always find something surprising.

On my last trip through Stansted (returning to Munich) I found that unbelievable Glenmorangie Chinkapin Oak (spoken of elsewhere) and Port Ellen SECOND RELEASE!

I have no personal experience of Frankfurt airport, but it is a pretty large airport so I hope there is a good selection.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Yes, WestVanDave, you did say Italy, bravo!! 3 weeks! Nice, lots of buying opportunities there too! This site is where I found some great bars/restaurants and retailers. (If you need other pointers, just pm me.) Where will you be? I was surprised and lucky to find many and it seems most were concentrated in Bologna, a beautiful city with the world's first organized university, (and where most of my family is!) And if you go to Rome, (Rome is Rome!) Marvel from the forum is there, and I think he has a place, got advice a few months back from us all about what to stock, smart guy! Have fun, lucky you!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby elli » Mon May 22, 2006 11:25 am

when being ni frankfurt airport I seem to recall that I wasn't too impressed with their selection, it was quite poor
elli

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder