Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

OB Glencadam 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

OB Glencadam 15

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Has anybody tried this new bottling? Here's a comment from LFW;

Glencadam OB 15yo 40%alc. [New]

Released in April 2005 by the new owners. Anyone like to volanteer a tasting note?

This from customer Patterson:

I'm surprised you haven't reviewed this yet as it's a damn good whisky.

I'd have said it was like Glen Garioch with extra honey - but creamy is a good way of putting it. There's some treacle too.

Basically this is a good medium-heavy malt without island smoke. There's a bit of sherry but I think it's mainly wood flavour you're getting -definitely vanilla (real from the pod not the bottle of synthetic stuff). I get a certain amount of heather as well, but overall it's an autumn walk in aon oakwood with someone baking treacle tarts in the forester's cottage.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bullie » Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

I was trying to find my notes for it, but evidently I didn't write any down. But it was good enough to make me buy a bottle at the whisky fair in Kolding in April. Haven't opened the bottle yet though.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby lambda » Thu May 11, 2006 8:33 pm

I will not attempt tasting notes, but it's a good dram. I agree with the clear wood influence, especially in the taste. Very enjoyable.

LFW seems to offer it for a reasonable price, but around here it is more expensive (around 50-55 euros), which makes it unattractive compared to some other 15yo whiskies (e.g. glenfarclas), especially at 40%.
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:09 pm

It's mentioned in issue #55 of WM on page 55 as being introduced at U.S. Airports soon. It is described as toffee, caramel, and raisins on the nose and rum and Christmas cake in the mouth. Hmmm. I remember a Cadenhead bottling from a while back I was wondering about.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat May 13, 2006 11:58 pm

I seem to recall MJ once saying that Glencadam was one of the creamiest whiskies around?

I've yet to try a sample from any expressions, but I am keen!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder