Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Ardbeg Committee Reserve!

General chat and talk about whisky.

New Ardbeg Committee Reserve!

Postby Jan » Mon May 15, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi all

For those here, that are Ardbeg Committee members:

Just wanted to share the news: there is a new Committee Reserve released: Young Uigeadail - 1392 bottles only... better hurry :wink:

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 15, 2006 6:02 pm

I've just emailed them and asked if they would hold a bottle for me (they've done this in the past).

Jan, do you know anything about the 1975 single bourbon barrel bottling mentioned in the Committee room? They say check the shop, but it's not there. Did I perhaps miss it already?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 15, 2006 6:45 pm

The Young Ooogie Committee Reserve is in the shop, but my understanding is that the 1975 will be the Festival Issue at the distillery.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon May 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Taken from the "Shop" :
To produce this thing of exquisite sweetness we introduced three ex-bourbon hogsheads of Very Young Ardbeg to one sherry butt of 2002 Ardbeg.

So....that means the information given by Andrew Jefford in "Peat, Smoke & Spirit" isn't correct then?
If so I'd say it's good as Ardbegs with a little sherry matured character are rather nice.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lambda » Mon May 15, 2006 6:55 pm

MrT: there was a old bourbon barrel in the shop a few days ago for 250 pounds.. a bit over my budget to say the least ;)
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Mon May 15, 2006 7:25 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Jan, do you know anything about the 1975 single bourbon barrel bottling mentioned in the Committee room? They say check the shop, but it's not there. Did I perhaps miss it already?

I think so - it was there a couple of weeks ago - remember eying it, but it was really far above my priceclass for "casual" purchases. (£250 as I recall.)

But perhaps they are holding some bottles back for Feis Isle, if WHs info is correct... or perhaps a new bottling?

Mr Fjeld wrote:So....that means the information given by Andrew Jefford in "Peat, Smoke & Spirit" isn't correct then?
If so I'd say it's good as Ardbegs with a little sherry matured character are rather nice.

Yes - that struck me too - good news indeed :D

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 15, 2006 9:50 pm

£250 is out of my range, as well. Well, worth asking.

Jefford says "very little" sherry, which is more than none; also "further finishes and experiments in hand". Note also that Ardbeg considers Jack Daniel's to be bourbon, even if no one else does.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Mon May 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Boy Ardbeg makes it hard for us living in the US. I still havn't been able to bring a bottle of Still young home yet and now I need to figure out how to get a bottle or two of The Young Oogie home. Luckily I'll be in Scotland in June so I will just need to load up my bags.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 pm

To answer some of the earlier posts it would appear that Ardbeg is filling Sherry Butts currently. I have a picture of the distillery with some large sherry butts alongside a bunch of bourbon barrels. This pic was taken in April so it would seem they are filling at least a few.

Len

I have some pics if anyone is interested.(no server to post it too myself)
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 pm

Good to see that cleared up!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 pm

Thanks for the news Jan! I usually check the site daily, but it wasn't there earlier today! Thanks, I might've missed it otherwise!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 16, 2006 8:47 am

I have re-checked my source and they still say that the Ardbeg Festival bottling for 2006 will be a 1975 Bourbon Cask.

Regards,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby parvus » Tue May 16, 2006 11:35 am

How are festival bottlings handled, are any sold online? What sort of price are they, £250 like the bottle that was briefly available in the online store?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Tue May 16, 2006 1:17 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Taken from the "Shop" :
To produce this thing of exquisite sweetness we introduced three ex-bourbon hogsheads of Very Young Ardbeg to one sherry butt of 2002 Ardbeg.

Christian

2002 Ardbeg? With VYArdbeg - isn't that about 6yr old - that's a young vatting. Wow!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi Parvus,
I understand that Festival bottlings are exactly that; available at the festival.
Last year I heard that there some unsold bottles available after the festival, but I spoke to Stuart as soon as I heard and he said "All gone!".

I also believe that the prices of last years single casks were 190 GBP per bottle. So somewhere around 200-250 seems likely this year.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue May 16, 2006 9:34 pm

Frodo wrote:2002 Ardbeg? With VYArdbeg - isn't that about 6yr old - that's a young vatting. Wow!!!

Well if it's from casks of same year as the VYA (1998/04), then it's now 8yo. But it could be younger I guess, unless the capital lettes means, that it is of the same year of destillation.

Anyway the Oogling is only 3-4yo, since the youngest malt decide the age (and age statement in case there is one).

So yes a young vatting indeed
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 19, 2006 5:36 am

karlejnar wrote:
Frodo wrote:2002 Ardbeg? With VYArdbeg - isn't that about 6yr old - that's a young vatting. Wow!!!

Well if it's from casks of same year as the VYA (1998/04), then it's now 8yo. But it could be younger I guess, unless the capital lettes means, that it is of the same year of destillation.

Anyway the Oogling is only 3-4yo, since the youngest malt decide the age (and age statement in case there is one).

So yes a young vatting indeed

But if it's whisky from the same year, would'nt it then technically be "Still Young" ?

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 19, 2006 10:06 am

I've ordered my 2 bottles, (note to WhiskyHammer: perhaps for investment purposes!) and looking forward to it. Someone keep us posted if they get to taste, really curious, as the first Uigeadail bottling was superb!
Di Blasi

Postby Frodo » Fri May 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Someone keep us posted if they get to taste, really curious, as the first Uigeadail bottling was superb!

I think there's a ton of interested fans! OK, whomever gets the first bottle has a sworn duty to post extensive tasting notes and answer all questions...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 pm

Yes, so let's see who's first! I have to send mine to family in Italy, and wait for someone to come up here, or to get down there to get them. I can't have them send it to Norway cause it's a no-no! I probably won't be the first, so looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it!!!
Di Blasi

Postby bernstein » Fri May 19, 2006 2:58 pm

I’ve placed an order today – tictactictactictactictac…
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri May 19, 2006 3:26 pm

I just ordered a few bottles so now the waiting game begins. I was just in the shop a few weeks ago too bad they didn't have it then. I could have avoided the hassle of having them ship it to a friend in Holland and then picking it up.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri May 19, 2006 4:33 pm

Can't wait trying this one.
Knowing Ardbeg Uigeadail (the regular one) this sounds promissing... :wink:
Dubois

Postby Jan » Sat May 20, 2006 11:36 am

Frodo wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Someone keep us posted if they get to taste, really curious, as the first Uigeadail bottling was superb!

I think there's a ton of interested fans! OK, whomever gets the first bottle has a sworn duty to post extensive tasting notes and answer all questions...

Sorry, while I look forward to taste it, I think I'll hang onto it for a while before opening it. (Really have far to many ardbegs open right now.)

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 20, 2006 11:43 am

I too am thinking about holding on to it for awhile, hoping to taste it somewhere else. Should we start "guesstimating" how much Young Uigeadail will be going for by the end of the year?? I bring this up cause of regretting not to buy the Kildalton last year, and now see what it's going for!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 1:41 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I too am thinking about holding on to it for awhile, hoping to taste it somewhere else. Should we start "guesstimating" how much Young Uigeadail will be going for by the end of the year?? I bring this up cause of regretting not to buy the Kildalton last year, and now see what it's going for!

What was Kildalton originally sold for and how much is it going for now?
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 2:52 pm

I think the Kildalton was going for about 100£ on the Ardbeg site. And I saw it on WhiskyHammer's auction site starting at 250Euro. But again, The Kildalton could be more valuable cause of it's age and difference to the Ardbeg signature, peatless/slightly peaty. But this Young Uigeadail is also a very limited one off, "never to be re-peated!"
Di Blasi

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Hi ,
The festival bottlings are sold only at the festival or if there's any left at the distillery , last years two 1975's were £180 each ( 1 fino cask and 1 oloroso cask if i remember rightly ) and went pretty sharpish . I believe this years will probably be of a similar ilk and no doubt sell for top dollar . I personally won't be buying one as the prices have just got too darn silly ( mainly thanks to the likes of e-bay and other auction sites....but thats another topic of conversation....) , i will however be buying the 3 valinches from Bruichladdich and the Bunnahabhain PX finish as reminders of the FI2006 .
Just remember whisky is for drinking and not for making a killing out of.....
To the Feis Ile......oh Rapunzel !!!
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 5:04 pm

The original price of Kildalton was 95 GBP, or at least it was when I bought my personal bottle from the Ardbeg online shop.

The current price on Ebay Germany is anywhere from €260 to €300.
I really haven't noticed one on Ebay UK for quite some time, although they may have sneaked through without me seeing.

Just to offer a quick note to Spirit of Islay; whisky has been appreciating in value and has been collected much longer than auction sites like Ebay and others have been around.
But yes, that's a discussion for another time and for elsewhere.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 5:13 pm

I must admit, I do like the thought that I have bought two Young Uigeadails: one to drink and enjoy, and perhaps the other to sell for twice as much as I paid for both, or more! Thus, I drink the one Young U for free, and with the rest of the profit I earn, I can afford to buy other bottles. It's just a very merry-go-round affect!
Di Blasi

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 pm

WhiskyHammer wrote:whisky has been appreciating in value and has been collected much longer than auction sites like Ebay and others have been around.

WH

Hi WH ,
I wasn't stating that whisky hasn't been appreciating and collecting is a new thing , i was just pointing that prices have gone way off the scale since all these on line auctions appeared and made it easy for joe public to bump up the prices .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Mon May 22, 2006 5:30 am

I have only ordered one bottle - and I fully intend to drink it at some point. But as it is a limited bottling, I will save it for a special occasion I think. Preferrably it will be opened in the company of friends, who will appreciate it.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon May 22, 2006 12:11 pm

That's good, sound advice Jan! And with good friends enjoying it together, you'll create some great memories and bonds too. I hope you do have a special occasion soon so that we can hear the tasting notes from you all!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed May 24, 2006 4:30 pm

It seems the Young Uigeadail has vanished from the Ardbeg site, aaahh, and I feel even luckier mine have shipped! But it may reappear, as I have frequently seen their site's shop change throughout the day. Has anyone tasted it yet??
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed May 24, 2006 6:24 pm

Di Blasi wrote:........... And with good friends enjoying it together, you'll create some great memories and bonds too......

Great - looking forward to your bottle Jonathan :P

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder