Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Redbreast 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Redbreast 15

Postby Jobi » Tue May 16, 2006 6:46 pm

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Redbreast 15 year.

I truly love the 12 year and I'm glad to see it become much more available here. I've heard great things about the 15 year as well, but it would cost me a pretty penny to get some, since I'd have to order from overseas.

For those of you who have tasted it, is it that much better than the 12 year that it would be worth the cost?
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue May 16, 2006 8:27 pm

It's way better than the 12, in my opinion. It's one of the greatest whiskies of any type I've tasted. Big pot still flavor with sherry and dried fruits.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed May 17, 2006 9:52 am

Redbreast 15yo is without doubt one of the greatest whiskies I've ever tried. I regret not ordering more than 2 bottles.

If you are a fan of Irish pot still and you like the Redbreast 12yo, you know what you need to do :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu May 18, 2006 12:14 am

Hello Bamber and Aidan,
I don't think I am alone by saying that you are rubbing salt into the wounds of a small handful of Ontarians who would love to ship a case of Redbreast 15 yo to our shoreline. I am starting to think my only chance to sample and perhaps most affordable means to an end is to simply book a trip to Ireland!! :D

Kidding aside, it is good to hear how much you both have enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 18, 2006 6:46 am

Wendy wrote:Hello Bamber and Aidan,
I don't think I am alone by saying that you are rubbing salt into the wounds of a small handful of Ontarians who would love to ship a case of Redbreast 15 yo to our shoreline. I am starting to think my only chance to sample and perhaps most affordable means to an end is to simply book a trip to Ireland!! :D

Cheers,
Wendy

Wendy

Would you believe that the most affordable means to an end would be to book a trip to Germany or France. It's over 30 euro per bottle cheaper there.

This may sound like a stupid thing to do, but I mixed some with a small amount of Serendipity yesterday, and it was my most successful "vatting" ever. It was really good. Of course, I only did with small amounts in a glass.
Aidan

Postby bamber » Thu May 18, 2006 10:09 am

A lightly peated pot still .... Have to give that a go.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu May 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Aidan,
That is quite a price difference you have quoted. I have actually checked out the Celtic Whiskey Shop (Dublin) website and was quite astonished by how expensive Irish Whiskey is even compared to Canadian (Ontario LCBO) prices. On one of Harry's searches, he found Redbreast 15 at The Whiskey Exchange for 42.99 pounds (inclusive) which compared to the Celtic Whiskey Shop (58 pounds) is a substantial savings.

Your vatting sounds lovely...nothing wrong with being creative.

Cheers,
Wendy
P.S. I still would like to go to Ireland!
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 18, 2006 4:11 pm

Wendy wrote:Hi Aidan,
That is quite a price difference you have quoted. I have actually checked out the Celtic Whiskey Shop (Dublin) website and was quite astonished by how expensive Irish Whiskey is even compared to Canadian (Ontario LCBO) prices. On one of Harry's searches, he found Redbreast 15 at The Whiskey Exchange for 42.99 pounds (inclusive) which compared to the Celtic Whiskey Shop (58 pounds) is a substantial savings.

Your vatting sounds lovely...nothing wrong with being creative.

Cheers,
Wendy
P.S. I still would like to go to Ireland!

Hi Wendy

The tax on spirits is very high in Ireland, so prices for Irish whiskey are higher in Ireland than they are in France and Germany. You can get it between 48 and 52 euro in Germany.

That said, if you did visit Ireland, you would not have to pay the tax, being from outside the EU. I don't know what this would work out at.

Of course, if Redbreast was Ireland's only attraction, we wouldn't get many visitors. Does the Canadian dollar track the US dollar? I know it's a bad time to come to Europe from the U.S. because of the weakness of the dollar.

I think you'd enjoy Ireland if you came over. Not if the weather was like today though.
Aidan

Re: Redbreast 15

Postby HeyStella » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Aidan,

I think the saving was based on the price of the 15 year old Redbreast. If you can get the 15 year old for 48 to 52 euros, please let me where fast before others find out. ;)
HeyStella

Postby Aidan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi HeyStella

That last comment you're referring to was in 2006... It's 100 euro and upwards now, unfortunately.
Aidan

Postby HeyStella » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes, realized my mistake. Sorry for the poor due diligence. ;)
HeyStella

Postby Pure Pot Head » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 am

A lightly peated pot still .... Have to give that a go.

Lightly peated? Are you having me on? This is a sacred Irish Pure Pot Still we're talking about. Do you really think the guys at the Midleton Distillery would compromise the taste of immortality, the pure drop of history, the essential essence of humanity by injecting foul peaty smoke into it? This is a smoke fee zone we're in here. :)

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 pm

I've tried it with a tiny touch of Laphroaig and it was very nice. It doesn't take much. A worthwhile experiment.
Aidan

Re:

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 am

Aidan wrote:It's way better than the 12, in my opinion. It's one of the greatest whiskies of any type I've tasted. Big pot still flavor with sherry and dried fruits.

And the 12yr doesn't have a "big" pot still flavour with sherry and dried fruit? :?

Aidan wrote:
Wendy wrote:Hello Bamber and Aidan,

Cheers,
Wendy

Yep, Ireland rapes everyone including their own on alcohol. Massive double taxation going on here. Avoid like the plague and go buy Irish whiskey outside Ireland (or at least in Northern Ireland - or consider day trips between the two "bits" of Ireland. whiskey is affordable in NI).
Wendy

Would you believe that the most affordable means to an end would be to book a trip to Germany or France. It's over 30 euro per bottle cheaper there.

This may sound like a stupid thing to do, but I mixed some with a small amount of Serendipity yesterday, and it was my most successful "vatting" ever. It was really good. Of course, I only did with small amounts in a glass.
Alan Gold Label

Re: Re:

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 am

Alan Gold Label wrote:
Aidan wrote:It's way better than the 12, in my opinion. It's one of the greatest whiskies of any type I've tasted. Big pot still flavor with sherry and dried fruits.

And the 12yr doesn't have a "big" pot still flavour with sherry and dried fruit? :?

I don't not say the 12 year old did not have bit pot still flavour, with sherry and dried fruit. I said that I believe that Redbreast 15 was better than the 12 year old, and described it as having "bit pot still flavour with sherry and dried fruits".

The 15 is a much more intense affair.
Aidan

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:36 pm

The 15yr is in pretty short supply isn't it?
Where in Dublin has a bottle behind the bar do you know? I've only seen it on the Bull & Castle's whiskey menu list.
Alan Gold Label

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm

The 15yr is in pretty short supply isn't it?
Where in Dublin has a bottle behind the bar do you know? I've only seen it on the Bull & Castle's whiskey menu list.

Hi Alan

I can't be certain if Redbreast 15yr old is there but The Temple Bar in Temple Bar has a massive range of Irish Whiskies and I'd be very surprised if they didn't have it. McDaids also tends to be good and The Palace have a big prominent display of Cooley whiskies so they might have it as well amongst the IDL whiskies. You also come across it in some high end places like the Four Seasons Whiskey Bar and The Merrion Hotel.

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Cheers PPH.
I was actually just reading about The Palace bar on Irish Whiskey Trail. I couldn't place it at first cause I'd not been there and usually avoid that street and general area. I'm going to call in next time I'm going for a drink in town though. It seems it's the more touristy bars like that one, Bull & castle and Porterhouse that have the best selection of whiskeys in town - or at least they're the places most people seem to recommend.
Alan Gold Label

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:21 pm

There's the Vat House too in Templebar. Way overpriced, though.

The Palace has a bottle of DWD whiskey behind the bar, but I don't think they sell it.

And the Porterhouse used to sell Dungourney for about 25 euro a shot, which is expensive for a whiskey, but cheap for a Dungourney. Interesting to taste.

Bowe's on Fleet Street has a great selection, as does Brook's Hotel.
Aidan

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh yeah Bowes! I keep meaning to call in there for a drink. I sometimes get a blank when in town and looking for a pub.
Alan Gold Label

Postby schitzengiggles » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 am

i'm a fan. when i sell the stuff, i tell my customers all they need is a straw and somewhere comfortable to sleep! i unfortunately suffer from the pringles effect with redbreast. once i pop i can't stop!
schitzengiggles

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder