Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Arran range

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Arran range

Postby toshie » Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Had five drams from the Arran range during Glasgow's Whisky Club tasting at Arran Distillery on Saturday. Here are some notes.
1. Robert Burns International: Very light colour, the typical Arran profile of apples and citrus, but for me, strangely lacking in any real depth of character.
2. Tne Arran 7 ncf: Straw coloured, again light, but with some more cream and banana coming through
3. The 10YO ncf: And the extra years have given this more depth. The trademark citrus is softened and this is a sweet dram, very warming with dark chocolate and a long satisfying aftertaste
4. The Limited Edition Sherry Cask: Overpowered, for me, by the finishing cask. Seemed to be all sherry and very little whisky
5. Limited Edition Montepulciano d'Abruzzo: According to the distillery, it was matured in a sherry cask, and finished for 4 months in French oak casks previously used for the ‘Villa Gemma’ cuvée from the Italian wine producer, Gianni Masciarelli.
A deep ruby red colour, I found it powerful, very warming, with spices, vanilla and a touch of tobacco. One for those long winter nights in front of a fire.
But I wondered: in general terms what are the pros and cons of finishing in a cask so powerful that, in the sherry case on Saturday, it may take over from the whisky.
My feeling after re-visiting the 10YO in my home last night was that it was an exceptionally fine whisky, showing a great depth of maturity from one so (relatively) young
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 22, 2006 4:04 pm

There is a bottle of Arran 10yo, with my name on it somewhere. Thanks for the notes :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 pm

Have anyone had a go at the new standard 10yo ?

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:56 am

I'm really enjoying the Arran finished in a Marsala cask, it's very nice. It's too late to discuss taste characteristics, but I'd buy another bottle if I came across one.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Had to bring this thread back to life as the new Arran 10yo is now released in Norway. Any opinions on the 10yo ?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:53 pm

I had it somewhere--I have no notes (or even much memory), but my impression of Arran so far is that they make good stuff. I've had a couple things from them that were a bit weird, but no clunkers.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks Mr T. - think I'll go for it!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby PeatPirate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 am

Hi all,

Have anyone had a go at the new standard 10yo ?

I finished a bottle a few weeks ago.

Nose: Vanilla, Honey

Taste: Nice mouthfeel, a bit syrupy. Sweet taste with lots of vanilla and some green apples.

Finish: Getting even more sweet. Vanilla!!

Not too complex. I enjoyed it as a nice summer dram.

A promise for the future (Arran 18YO 46% NCF No Finish OB) :)

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:57 am

Nice tasting notes PP! When I read them I can't help but wonder if you find it somewhat similar to Bruichladdich 10/12?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Frodo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:03 am

I'm currently being tempted by a 9yr CS Single Cask bottling of Arran, bottled by the LCBO. I'm really, really being tempted...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:57 am

The 10yo Arran is really lovely. Super clean juicy malt, with lemons. I'd agree that it's a summer malt but it is not too light, just very clean and fresh.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:42 am

I tried a number of them a few years ago and did not like them. However, Ian Kendal's cask is really lovely. I can't wait for it to be bottled.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:20 pm

Frodo wrote:I'm currently being tempted by a 9yr CS Single Cask bottling of Arran, bottled by the LCBO. I'm really, really being tempted...

Go for it! I tried the 10 a week ago and really enjoyed it, a CS 9 year old will be great.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby PeatPirate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi all,

Christian asks:

Nice tasting notes PP! When I read them I can't help but wonder if you find it somewhat similar to Bruichladdich 10/12?

It's some time ago I had the Laddie 10. I think (have to dig deep into my memory) the Laddie is a bit more fruity (zesty?) and briny. Less oily.

The Arran in my opinion more influenced by (bourbon cask?) vanilla and malty sweetness.

Both of them have a bit of a Northern Highlands character, The Laddie more or less Glenmorangie/Pulteney style. The Arran reminds me more of young Clynelish/Ord style. But perhaps these comparisons lead to more discussion instead of clarity?? :-)

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder