Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Travel: Scotland!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky Travel: Scotland!

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am

:o I did a brief search but didn't find anything. Has it been done before? :? How about a "Whisky Travel" forum helping us find whisky when we travel? We could help each other have distilleries, shops, bars and restaurants, (and even have the listing of "Great Whisky Bars of the World") easily accessible. Although I have discovered many great places from this site, it seems with all of us around the world comparing notes and helpful hints, we could improve upon it and help each other out. We have recently been talking about travel to Italy, the US, Frankfurt tax-free, etc, so let's continue on, and make it official. I'll start!
I'll be flying in and out of Edinburgh August 28th til the 3rd of September, and it's my first trip to Scotland! I'm already planning on visiting Glengoyne, the first day we arrive. Edinburgh Airport to Glengoyne Distillery/Glasgow with public transport possible? And hoping to also visit the Douglas Laing brothers while we're close to Glasgow. Any affordable suggestions as where to stay in that area, quite open at this point, b&b, small quaint hotel? Bar/restaurant suggestions that have a soft spot for whisky is appreciated too. Also, places to stay and eat and drink in Edinburgh, as we'll mostly be there is also appreciated. I'll be with my girlfriend, who is exhausted from just hearing the word whisky, so any ways to convince her it's really okay, or things to keep her busy and happy while I'm overwhelming myself in Scotch Heaven would be great! Thanks all, and they're off! :D
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue May 23, 2006 5:13 am

Hi Di Blasi

In the travelling section of the faq you can find some prevous threads with advice for trips to Edinburgh and/or Scotland.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Re: Whisky Travel: Scotland!

Postby toshie » Tue May 23, 2006 8:07 am

Di Blasi wrote::I'm already planning on visiting Glengoyne, the first day we arrive. Edinburgh Airport to Glengoyne Distillery/Glasgow with public transport possible?

If you're arriving at Edinburgh Airport, you need to get into the city of Edinburgh (taxi or airport bus) then take a train or bus to Glasgow. There is one direct bus to the distillery :D but it leaves Glasgow at 06.49 and gets you there at 07.37 :cry: The altenative service would get you to Glengoyne at 15.49 :D but you'd need to be on the 16.12 out again :cry: It may be better you hire a car (using long-suffering girlfriend as the designated driver) or take a taxi (private hire cars are usually cheaper in Scotland since they are not on the clock and you can hire them by the hour/day)
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks Jan and toshie! Jan, I did find your excellent resources for Scotland and everything else just after sending off that post and searching a bit deeper. And toshie, I appreciate your help, especially from a local stance!
http://www.glengoyne.com/
...states, "The no.10 bus leaves Buchanan bus station in the centre of Glasgow and passes in front of the distillery gates. If you let the driver know that you would like to get off at Glengoyne Distillery, the driver will stop at the distillery gates. The bus leaves from stance 34 at Buchanan Bus station (approx every hour) and the journey takes 45-50 minutes.
For bus information please call: Firstbus +44 (0)870 608 2608"
Is this possibly outdated info, or updated?
Also toshie, and other past visitors and locals, any recommendations for affordable and quaint accomodations, out of Glasgow, perhaps in the countryside close to Glengoyne? Thanks!
Di Blasi

Re: Whisky Travel: Scotland!

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue May 23, 2006 1:17 pm

toshie wrote:There is one direct bus to the distillery :D but it leaves Glasgow at 06.49 and gets you there at 07.37 :cry:

Hmm, been there a few times but I always took line 10 which goes several times a day if I remember correctly.... Its a direct line Buchanan Glsagow to the Distillery.

But maybe this line is no longer functional? Its been a few years ago I last used it, so who knows... (it would making the distillery MUCH harder to visit if you dont have your own transport if they cancelled it)

To be honoust, I dont know wether Glengoyne can be done in a single day really well from Edinburgh. The bus 10 I speak off is from Buchanan Bus Stn in Glasgow.

HTH
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks for helping Jeroen Kloppenburg! We'll arrive Edinburgh just after 9 in the morning, and as suggested, get to town to take the train to Glasgow, wander a bit, lunch, then bus over to Glengoyne. But if you don't think the time will be enough, we'll have to look into another option. I did read in Jim Murray's book, don't remember what the exact title is, but not The Bible, and he mentions if time is of the essence, a helicopter can be flown in to Glengoyne from Glasgow, landing close to the wherehouses. I'm hoping the first plan does work though, and hopefully stay a night close by Glengoyne, then tuesday am 29. August get back to Glasgow for a visit over to The Douglas Laing Brothers, another nice lunch, (suggestions??), and back over to meet friends in home-base Edinburgh for the rest of the week. Thanks, in advance, for all of your help!
Di Blasi

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue May 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Di Blasi wrote: August get back to Glasgow for a visit over to The Douglas Laing Brothers

Is it possible to visit the Douglas Laing HQ?

I didn't know it was. Maybe you should ask Susywong, who posts here, and works for Douglas Laing.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Tue May 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Di Blasi wrote:http://www.glengoyne.com/
...states, "The no.10 bus leaves Buchanan bus station in the centre of Glasgow and passes in front of the distillery gates. If you let the driver know that you would like to get off at Glengoyne Distillery, the driver will stop at the distillery gates. The bus leaves from stance 34 at Buchanan Bus station (approx every hour) and the journey takes 45-50 minutes.
For bus information please call: Firstbus +44 (0)870 608 2608"
Is this possibly outdated info, or updated? !

The info I got from the "helpline" this morning ( 0870 608 2 608) is obviously rubbish. If they can't get it right for locals, what chance do tourists stand?

Also from the Glengoyne site: The Kirkhouse Inn and Strathblane Country House Hotel are about a 20-30 minute walk from the distillery . The others would need wheels

List of Local Accommodation Providers
Hotels
Black Bull Hotel, Killearn http://www.visit-lochlomond.com/theblackbull
Buchanan Arms Hotel, Drymen http://www.buchananarms.co.uk
Culcreuch Castle, Fintry http://www.culcreuch.com
Cameron House, Loch Lomond http://www.cameronhouse.co.uk
Forest Hills, Aberfoyle http://www.foresthills-hotels.co.uk
Kirkhouse Inn, Strathblane http://www.kirkhouseinn.com
Strathblane Country House Hotel (new website coming soon)
Winnock Hotel, Drymen http://www.winnockhotel.com

toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue May 23, 2006 9:07 pm

You simply stand on the right side of the street, and put your arm up when the bus arrives C_I. Lots of differences between the buses in Scotland and Holland I can asure you :\
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Don't forget to take a good umbrella with you. Everytime I have been to Scotland it has rained. I didn't mind though. It gave me an excuse to sit in the pubs and drink whisky.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 24, 2006 12:44 am

I have recommended here several times the Undiscovered Scotland website as a general resource. Descriptions of many, many places, with hotel, B&B, pub, and restaurant listings.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed May 24, 2006 2:01 am

Thanks for all the great advice! Lucky there is plenty of time for more advice and to plan ahead and organize. Keep all that good info coming! As for the rain, we're not too worried as Bergen is also a rainy place, but still good to know, and to have a good excuse to have a whisky or two if we get tired of it.
Di Blasi

Postby toshie » Wed May 24, 2006 9:19 am

Di Blasi: I love a good mystery!! First Bus in Glasgow has only one bus all day - the 06.49 I told you about yesterday. BUT First Edinburgh, waaaay across the other side of the country, says the No 10 leaves stance 34 at two minutes past the hour every hour and drops you off at Glengoyne. It comes back past the distillery at 5 minutes past the hour heading for Glasgow. Until 5pm that is, when it's 17.21, 18.40, 19.40 and the last one at 22 40. If you ever get there (by bus) have a glass of the 17YO for me :D
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks for that link Mr. T.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 am

Di Blasi wrote:...then tuesday am 29. August get back to Glasgow for a visit over to The Douglas Laing Brothers, another nice lunch, (suggestions??), and back over to meet friends in home-base Edinburgh for the rest of the week. Thanks, in advance, for all of your help!

Hello Di Blasi,
If you like Haggis, you MUST try it at the Ingram Bar in Glasgow. This is an excellent Bar/Food/Snack place a minute from George Square on Queen Street 136-138. You'll also find a wide selection of beers, cask ales and malt whiskies. It's in a traditional atmosphere and the foodprices are low comparing to most other restaurants nearby.
It's also very close to Queen Street Station where you take the train to Edinburgh which leaves every 10 minutes or so...

Cheers

Postby Di Blasi » Wed May 24, 2006 12:40 pm

toshie wrote:Di Blasi: I love a good mystery!! First Bus in Glasgow has only one bus all day - the 06.49 I told you about yesterday. BUT First Edinburgh, waaaay across the other side of the country, says the No 10 leaves stance 34 at two minutes past the hour every hour and drops you off at Glengoyne. It comes back past the distillery at 5 minutes past the hour heading for Glasgow. Until 5pm that is, when it's 17.21, 18.40, 19.40 and the last one at 22 40. If you ever get there (by bus) have a glass of the 17YO for me :D

Thanks again toshie! That no.10 leaving stance 34 is from the Glasgow station isn't it, or Edinburgh? Confusing, especially since I've never been, I hardly know where I'm going, and with names I've never heard! But I guess that's the art and pleasure of travelling! I'll perhaps call the First Bus, or as others suggested, contact VisitScotland and have them do the work for me. Again, I appreciate your help toshie, and everyone else, I'll get to Glengoyne, and gonna have that 17y for sure!!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed May 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Hey thanks Mr Ellen! I haven't tried Haggis yet, but looking forward to it. I'll note your recommendation, sounds great!
Di Blasi

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Maybe the helicopter option isn't such a bad idea. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder