Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Different names for barrels?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Different names for barrels?

Postby Frodo » Sat May 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Brief question here about the names of barrels. I've heard of Hogshead, Butt, Pipe (madiera), Quarter Cask. I think beer people use Firkins - or did at one point.

If anyone could help identify names of casks with history (where they came from) and capacity in liters, this help with my curiosity.

Cheers.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat May 27, 2006 10:09 pm

This is easier explained in Gallons as that was how they came about.
Rundlet = 18 Gallons
Barrel = 31.5 Gallons
Hogshead = 63 Gallons
Firkin = 84 Gallons
Butt/pipe = 126 Gallons
Tun = 252 Gallons

The rundlet is an archaic unit-like size of wine casks once used in Britain. It was equivalent to about 68 litres. It used to be defined as 18 wine gallons

A hogshead varied in size but today is most commonly 63 US gallons (ca. 238.5 litres)

A Firkin is an old English unit of volume. The name is derived from the Middle Dutch word vierdekijn, which means fourth, i.e. a fourth of a full-size barrel. A wine firkin is about 318 litres

The butt (from the medieval French and Italian botte) or pipe is an old English unit of wine casks, holding about 477 litres or rather two hogsheads.

The tun is an old English unit of wine cask volume, holding about 954 litres
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun May 28, 2006 7:44 am

So the Butt and Hogshead are the barrel sizes most often used, yes? Hogshead for ex-sherry, and butt for ex-bourbon - have I got that one right?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 28, 2006 9:02 am

Frodo wrote:So the Butt and Hogshead are the barrel sizes most often used, yes? Hogshead for ex-sherry, and butt for ex-bourbon - have I got that one right?

Nope... Both Hogshead (230-250 lit.) and Butt (400-500 lit.) is mainly ex-sherry.
And the ex-bourbon is mainly Barrels. (180-200 lit.) This is nowadays the most common cask-size.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun May 28, 2006 9:48 am

Aha! Thank you! Makes sense in that Anjeo Tequila is often aged in casks 180l or so - which would make then ex-bourbon casks.

Thanks again!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder