Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Oban 14

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Oban , Oban 14 Years Old

Oban 14

Postby Green Manelishi » Sun May 28, 2006 1:07 am

At the recommendation of an friend, who knows I enjoy Islay, I picked up a bottle of Oban 14. First taste was tonight.
It's certainly agreeable but I think the one bottle will be sufficient.
Green Manelishi

Postby lexvo » Sun May 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Oban 14 is a good whisky and IMO has a very interesting and complex nose. However, as an Islay fan myself, I wouldn't rush out and buy a bottle either (last bottle was a gift). Maybe I will buy a bottle, but there are other whiskies that I'd like to try or buy again first :)

Color: Amber
Nose: a bit salt, fresh/fruityness, sweetness gets in (caramel?)
Body: mild, round, medium
Palate: fresh, some sweet, some peat
Finish: a hint of smoke, peat, dry (sometimes almost too dry for my taste)
Score: 78
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Skauge » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 am

What makes Oban so great is that it has a bit of "everything", some fruit, some smoke, some salt, and neither part is dominating. A very nice dram. :)
Skauge

Postby Alec » Mon May 29, 2006 10:00 am

Hmm, never been a fan of Oban! Each to their own though, that's why whiskey is so great :)
Alec

Postby Frodo » Mon May 29, 2006 10:07 am

I have absolutely nothing against a bottle of Oban 14 @ $55/bottle. However here in Ontario, the LCBO charges around $85 for a bottle. Nothing wrong with the dram in my view - just the price.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon May 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Indeed,Oban 14 Yrs is a nice whisky and I enjoyed it for quite a while,but I wouldn't buy a new one as long I can still discover other nice ones.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Oban 14

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon May 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I do enjoy the Oban from time to time, when the mood for a dram strikes. I've had an Oban 14 in my collection ever since I bought my first one at a tasting many years ago. It, like Glenlivet, Balvenie and Glenfiddich, are stalwarts of my malts. I will always have one to enjoy.
Muskrat Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 pm

I also try to have an Oban in my collection at all times. It's a very nice, smooth and fruity whisky, easy drinking and just a little smoky. Fairly priced as well.
I also like the Distillers Edition (finished in Montilla) which I find just a little bit drier and with even more fruit (peaches, mandarin & apricot). It also has a lot more salt to it.

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:I also like the Distillers Edition (finished in Montilla) which I find just a little bit drier and with even more fruit (peaches, mandarin & apricot). It also has a lot more salt to it.

Cheers

That is the only Oban I've tried and I find it to be a good whisky. It's one of my regulars. I must try the 14yo though.
Deactivated Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 am

I agree Oban 14 is a good whisky but not amazing for an Islay fan; besides the quality/price ratio doesn’t help.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Oban , Oban 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder