Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Canadian Whisky Tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Canadian Whisky Tasting

Postby dsoneil » Sun May 28, 2006 11:36 pm

While browsing the Internet I've come across a lot of misinformation on Canadian whisky. Misinformation on the Internet, who would of thought! Anyway, throughout the month of June I will be reviewing twelve, maybe more, Canadian whiskies. I've decided that for my own information I would taste each of these brands and compare them to each other and some "standards" like Jameson and Jack Daniels. I like Jameson, but hate JD, so this was not an easy task.

Hopefully this will give some direction to people interested in this whisky category and clear up a few things about Canadian whisky. If that doesn't interest you, the tasting of JD might amuse you.

The whiskies on the docket include:

Crown Royal Special Reserve
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Alberta Premium 100% Rye
Danfield’s Private Reserve
Tangle Ridge Rye
Schenly OFC
Gibson Finest 12
Wiser Deluxe
Royal Reserve
Seagrams VO
Canadian Club 12
Walker’s Special Old

You can find the reviews on The Art of Drink webiste.
dsoneil

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon May 29, 2006 11:11 am

I have had only one meeting with a Canadian Whisky and it was not a great first impression. A Segrams VO which I found to be a very bland boring whisky. Hopefully we can learn something from your efforts. Oh by the way welcome to the forum and Good luck with the exercise....
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 29, 2006 3:54 pm

The Alberta Premium will change your mind, as will the Gibson's 12 & 18. I too am doing a article on Canadian whiskies and have a Wiser's 18 distilled in 1937 which is an absolute gem. I am completely avoiding Crown Royal and VO.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby dsoneil » Tue May 30, 2006 2:39 am

In my reviews you'll find that VO doesn't rate too high.

Lawrence, are you writing the article for a magazine or website? I'd be interested in reading it when you are complete, so let me know where I can get a copy.

For those that are interested, the first review has been posted. This one is on Crown Royal.
dsoneil

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 30, 2006 5:55 am

It's for a website and should appear on http://www.maltmadness.com in due course. It makes me a little nervous to think people might actually read it!

:)

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Canadian Whisky Tasting

Postby Danny » Tue May 30, 2006 6:21 am

dsoneil- heres wishing you sucess in your tasting and for making notes on Canadian Whisky available. I have drank far more Canadian than any other whisky, although now I am quite snobbish and stick mainly to sigle malts.

I agree totally with Lawrence, Gibson's 12 and 18 and Wiser's 18 are very good Candian expressiions. I buy no other any more. Have only had Alberta Premium once or twice and was not in the right setting to really appreciate it, other than to have a beverage.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 31, 2006 12:19 am

Lawrence wrote:The Alberta Premium will change your mind, as will the Gibson's 12 & 18.

Not mine! :wink: Witch hazel.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Wed May 31, 2006 1:26 am

I don't know if I just had a bad bottle but I really disliked the Gibson's 12yo I had. Thus, I haven't been able to bring myself to try the 18yo.

Forty Creek Barrel Select is my favorite Canadian whisky though some days I prefer Wiser's 18yo. Many prefer the Three Grain but I like the Barrel Select.

For a nice Canadian Rye Whisky (real rye whisky), Alberta Premium is very nice.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 31, 2006 2:43 am

Not mine! Witch hazel.

Mr. T did you try the AP in a tasting with other whiskies or was it by itself?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 31, 2006 3:08 am

Lawrence, you know very well the circumstances in which I tasted Alberta Premium! And if your point is that my reaction was colored by the whiskies around it, you might well be right. I try (not always successfully) to keep an open mind, and if the opportunity presents itself, I will give it another shot. After all, the Ardbeg 10 we had at the end of that tasting struck me as one of the most unpleasant drams I've ever had, and that just ain't right. Once again, context is everything.

But I still say it tastes like witch hazel!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 31, 2006 6:56 am

I didn't know but I had a sneaking hunch which is why I asked. I would say that from your Ardbeg experience that you need to revisit A.P. with a fresh palate. I've found more and more as I gain experience that it's often me and not the whisky that is slightly out of whack.

That's why the tasters like Dave Broom etc at WM taste each sample 3 times, just to be sure to be sure for sure. Once is simply not enough.

However on reflection I simply cannot remember what witch hazel tastes like. :?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Soooo...what's the deal with you drinking witch hazel, Mr. TH? :wink:

I so happen to have been a witness to Mr. TH's unpleasant introduction to Alberta Premium and he indeed exclaimed "WITCH HAZEL" when we gathered together at the Victoria Whisky Festival. I was not too impressed either with Alberta Premium, but my tastebuds were swamped as we neared the end of a 14 whisky tasting session with Jim Murray. I am prepared to give it another try...it may be a lovely whisky to add to my summer list.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 am

Wendy wrote:Soooo...what's the deal with you drinking witch hazel, Mr. TH? :wink:

Well, I was on Death Row once and was offered a last drink...but it was all a mistake.

According to my notes, AP was only number three on the list, following only Black Bush and Grant's. Gibson's 12 was after that, and also struck me as being quite astringent. The following five malts I found increasingly enjoyable--An Cnoc 12, Glenmorangie 10, Glenfiddich 18, Highland Park 18, and Benriach 20. Then two Bourbons, Buffalo Trace, and Knob Creek, which were not to my liking. I think these latter may have sent me over the edge in one way or another; I thought the following Six Isles was pretty good, but Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 12 were both horribly harsh. When Murray told us what each of those was, I thought he'd made a mistake. But I was just overloaded, possibly in more ways than one.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder