Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenrothes 1979 Single Cask 13470

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenrothes 1979 Single Cask 13470

Postby Vange » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 am

Anyone see this anywhere for sale? Anyone tried it? It sounds very intriguing.
Vange

Postby Whiskybembel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 am

Whisky Exchange has some Bottles, but for 340 Pound.
Tastingnotes Glenrothes:
Apperance: deep mahogany

Bouquet: ethereal, minty dark chocolate

Palate: rich ethereal cardamon

Finish: long creme broule finish

Tasting Notes Royal Miles:
Nose: Sherry, and lots of it. Malt vinegar and flat coke. Molasses, prunes and Camp coffee essence. Root beer, gingerbread, dark rum and licquorice. We could go on and on...
Taste: Dark rum, treacle, banana cake, and woody finish with spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves).

Overall: Yes this is a whisky matured in a sherry cask, but at the same time it somehow hasn't become dominant or over-tannic. A big scorer.

I had a Dram last year on Interwhisky in Frankfurt. It is an unbelievable good Whisky. In my opinion a little bit too expensive. A prize between 200 - 250 Euro are accepteable.
Whiskybembel

Glenrothes 79

Postby glenrothes79 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:43 pm

I have a bottle of this (USA) that I picked up some time ago and have no idea what it might be worth...seems there are so few left that not many are on the market ?
Anyone have any ideas about whether to drink or hold ? Many thanks in advance.
glenrothes79

Postby Whiskybembel » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:01 am

If you having a USA Bottle you have a Single cask 13458. Their are just 519 bottles for USA. We are talking here about Single Cask 13470, what is been offered in Great Britain. Here in Germany and also Asia we have Cask 3808

All three Single Cask a very familar and close together in Taste, but different. For me the Best one is the 13470, followed by 13458 and last but not least the 3808.

To hold this excellent Whisky is a sin. Drink and enjoy :D
Whiskybembel

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi Vange, Glenrothes OB's are always craking drams, I have a few squireled away for a rainy day.... I've had a couple bottle of the 1989 which I think were wonderful and a 1984 which was also very good. Now I have a 1984, 1989 1992 in reserve plus my icing on the cake the 1971 which I am really looking forward to but waiting for a special day.

Glenrothes79 if you really are into whisky I'd hang on to it and drink at some stage... just wait for that special time crack it open and enjoy... However there are always other uses for an expensive bottle ... if you want to maximise your whisky sell it and buy a selection of mid priced bottles and have a nice choice for yourself.

Your choice but I know I'd want to drink it at some stage as Glenrothes are wonderful drams
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder