Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 30 yrs

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 30 Years Old

Laphroaig 30 yrs

Postby elli » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:12 pm

I noticed that someone placed a small note in the tasting section of a laphroiag 30 years, has anyone tasted this laphroaig? What are their experiences about this whisky, I do hope to soon share with you my experiences when it arrives :lol:
Thanks Elli
elli

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:09 pm

I tried this the other night. It is very good but a bit pricey. I found it to be less smokey and less medicinal than the 10 year old. You can tell it has spent a lot of time in oak. It has a nice dark color to it. I think you will be happy.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:23 pm

I tasted it several times and I think VG has made some great comments. It's been my experience that people expect the smoke/peat factor to increase when in fact it's the opposite, I think at 30 years the peat level has dropped to 30 ppm. Still it's a great whisky.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:55 am

I've enjoyed the 30yo Laphroaig on a few occasions, and I love it.

It's an absolutely spectacular dram, and the complexities and contrasts between the malt, the peat, and the oak make for some fascinating tasting.

Lawrence...you say that you think the peat is down to about 30ppm, but I'm not sure if that's how it actually works.

My understanding is that whilst the distilleries specify that their malt be peated to a certain level (for the sake of the discussion, let's say Laphroaig peat their malt to 50ppm), this is the phenol levels in the raw malt.

Once the malt is distilled (twice), it's my understanding that the final phenol reading in the new make spirit is significantly less than this. More in the range of 15 to 25. (Stuart Thomson from Ardbeg elaborated further on this when he spoke about how Ardbeg changed their milling process to try retain more of the barley's husks and therefore increase the peat levels).

So in the case of the Laphroaig, after 30 years maturation, you would expect the peat to drop even further, say 5 to 15ppm.

Yes?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:56 am

I've enjoyed the 30yo Laphroaig on a few occasions, and I love it.

It's an absolutely spectacular dram, and the complexities and contrasts between the malt, the peat, and the oak make for some fascinating tasting.

Lawrence...you say that you think the peat is down to about 30ppm, but I'm not sure if that's how it actually works.

My understanding is that whilst the distilleries specify that their malt be peated to a certain level (for the sake of the discussion, let's say Laphroaig peat their malt to 50ppm), this is the phenol levels in the raw malt.

Once the malt is distilled (twice), it's my understanding that the final phenol reading in the new make spirit is significantly less than this. More in the range of 15 to 25. (Stuart Thomson from Ardbeg elaborated further on this when he spoke about how Ardbeg changed their milling process to try retain more of the barley's husks and therefore increase the peat levels).

So in the case of the Laphroaig, after 30 years maturation, you would expect the peat to drop even further, say 5 to 15ppm.

Yes?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Nock » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:35 am

So I am ready to buy a bottle of this Laphroaig 30yo in the next few days. The plan is to open it in October when I turn 30.

Admiral and Lawrence (and anyone else who cares to chime in), how do you think the Laphroaig 30yo fits into the larger Laphroaig line up?

That is to say:
Do you find it takes it's start from the 15yo and develops in flavor and complexity? (or loses something to a more oaky flavor?)

or

Is it as a totally different beast as far removed from the 15yo as the 15yo is from the 10yo?

Just curious for some impressions :wink:

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am

The last time I tasted the 30yo, it was last in the following line up.

Laphroaig 10yo
Laphroaig Cask Strength
Laphroaig Highgrove House
Laphraoig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig 15yo
Laphroaig 30yo.

The 30yo struck me as being in a league of its own - flavourwise, at least. The years in the oak imparted notes & complexities that simply weren't present in some of the other bottlings, and I believe that the 30yo also has some sherry in the vatting, which again made it quite different to the other bottlings.

It's a little difficult to compare it back to the other Laphroaigs, because you can't really compare a 30yo with other bottlings that are 10-15 years. It's a completely different level of maturation and oak interplay.

I was just happy to enjoy it as a stellar dram in its own right.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:39 pm

I got a bottle of the 30yo this past Christmas. I enjoy it on it's own, but don't feel that it has many similarities to the rest of the Laphroaig line - it's more of a distant (wealthy?)cousin. It has a good deal of fruit and sherry in it, a nice dose of oak, and just a small note of traditional Laphroaig character in the background. It has a very rounded flavor & is quite richly flavored as well. It has more similarities to other smokey/peated malts that are matured in sherry casks (Ardbeg U. & Talisker DE), but 30 years in a cask & the 43%abv make it so much smoother and mellow. It's very nice to have on special occasions, or when I'm in the mood for a rich, smooth, elegant, and unique drink.

Hope you enjoy it on your 30th B-Day
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Nock » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:47 am

So I really like heavy peat and smoke.
(which is why I like Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin).

I have been thinking for a while that I would just get the Laphroaig 30yo because I like Laphroaig (and it is more in my price range then an Ardbeg 30yo, and I can actually find one :wink: )

BUT
In then back of my mind something has been telling me to go for a Brora 30yo instead :? . . . what do you guys think? The price difference isn't all that great and I have never had a Brora (and might not get the chance again)

Maybe I will just post a poll . . .

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Laphroaig 30

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 pm

I attended a tasting at the Laphroaig distillery with dist. manager John Campbell last friday and, if I remember correctly, he said that the 30y is unique in that sense that it's the only OB Laphroaig that has been in a ex-sherry cask for all its life. (The rest of the available Laphroaig OB's should be quite 100% ex-bourbon, right?)

-ronnie
ronnie

Postby bernstein » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 pm

ronnie wrote:I attended a tasting at the Laphroaig distillery with dist. manager John Campbell last friday and, if I remember correctly, he said that the 30y is unique in that sense that it's the only OB Laphroaig that has been in a ex-sherry cask for all its life.

Yes, at least that’s what they’re telling us on their website.
http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/30yo/ ... 0_year_old

“The aroma, on pouring the 30 year old, gives an initial burst of sherry…”

ronnie wrote:(The rest of the available Laphroaig OB's should be quite 100% ex-bourbon, right?)

Yes, all of them, with the (obvious) exception of the QC and the 40yo, for which they “used European oak to mature this particular vintage rather than the American oak Bourbon casks which are more commonly used today.”
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:53 am

Admiral, I've just reread my post and I made an error as you gently pointed out, I believe the actual ppm for Laphroaig 30 is 3 and not 30 as I wrote.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby elli » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:21 am

I had a taste of the laph.30 what can I say but that the experience was simply unbelievable, the whisky floated down my throat, the subtle sweet embers of peat wafted up me, it was a pleaseure rarely experienced with its subtlelty, I felt special and honoured to have partaken with what could be argued as probably a truly great malt. :shock: When I gather my thoughts, i will post more on this honour, thank you everyone for your advice
elli

Postby Nock » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:21 am

Well

I finally did it.
I picked up the Laphroaig 30yo :twisted:

Now, I just have to wait till I turn 30 in October to open it :evil:

There is nothing like heightened anticipation to ruin a perfectly good experience. :wink:

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:24 am

Nock wrote:Well

I finally did it.
I picked up the Laphroaig 30yo :twisted:

Now, I just have to wait till I turn 30 in October to open it :evil:

There is nothing like heightened anticipation to ruin a perfectly good experience. :wink:

Nock

Congratulations Nock. I hope you like it. Now you have ten years to save up for a bottle of the 40 year old.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 30 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder