Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Shipping to North America

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Shipping to North America

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Sunday, I placed an order for clothing and glassware from one of the distillery website stores. Today I received a very nice email from one of their associates, regretfully advising that due to our restrictive Customs regulations, (which have led to some parcels not being received), they no longer ship to Canada. It is disappointing, so I'm going to make other shipping arrangements through a friend in England.

1. Has anyone in Canada or the United States run into this before?
2. Have you had any luck in pursuing it through your elected representative?

I look forward to your constructive comments.

Muskrat Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:17 pm

They won't ship clothing? That's very odd, I have never heard of that before. It seems overly restrictive.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:11 am

I don't understand that, either. Most shops and distilleries are clear that they won't ship alcohol to the USA or Canada, but I've never heard of a restriction on general merchandise. Perhaps you happen to have run into an overzealous and misinformed shipping clerk. May we ask which distillery this was?
Deactivated Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:45 am

I ordered a few items from Ardbeg and I had no problems getting it in the States.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:18 am

I've ordered glasses from Ardbeg also. No problems, even got a phone call to say the order was ready to ship before charging my credit card.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Query regarding distillery

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:27 am

It wasn't Ardbeg, but I may consider trying to order from them if there were no difficulties. I actually wanted a ballcap and a couple of tasting glasses for a friend who had acquired a bottle from the distillery in question (while he was visitng last year) as a thank you for his generosity.

I'm still mulling over contacting the distillery direct to query these shipping practises, as they do appear counter productive to good customer relations.
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:09 am

I've heard from various friends that odd things are happening at Canada Customs. I suggest you write a letter to your MP and the head thief (Minister of National Revenue). Ordering ball caps and glasses is in no way illeagal and CBSA must be sorted out. I've a mind to give it a try just to see what happens.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:31 am

I don't think you're allowed send clothing to the U.S. or Canada. I'm not 100% sure though. I also don't think those in the EU are technically allowed order clothing from the U.S. or Canada.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 am

Aidan wrote:I don't think you're allowed send clothing to the U.S. or Canada. I'm not 100% sure though. I also don't think those in the EU are technically allowed order clothing from the U.S. or Canada.

:!: :?: :!:

Why, are we trying to protect the manufacturers in Sri Lanka?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Aidan wrote:I don't think you're allowed send clothing to the U.S. or Canada. I'm not 100% sure though. I also don't think those in the EU are technically allowed order clothing from the U.S. or Canada.

:!: :?: :!:

Why, are we trying to protect the manufacturers in Sri Lanka?

I think it's because the Chinese are leanding money to the Americans to buy their wears to provide the liquidity they need to buy European steel to build industrial estates to house U.S. multinationals. It's like KerPlunk. If you pull the wrong stick, the whole thing comes tumbling down.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm watching this discussion with interest as I personally never had any problems shipping to the USA.
I would say that I have shipped a total of 8-10 packages of whisky to 4-5 different States without problems, but I am becoming a little more cautious after seeing discussions like this about the problems that do exist.

I have never tried shipping alcohol to Canada (yet), but I do have two bottles which have been purchased by a Canadian and he is currently canvassing colleagues to collect it in person and carry it back from a business trip.
So I guess there must be very high risk with customs and packages into Canada.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:30 am

But we're not even talking about alcohol! I'm quite sure there is no problem ordering general merchandise, including clothing, from the UK for shipping to Canada (or the US, for that matter). It's a Commonwealth country, for crying out loud. This whole thing smells really funny. I think an inquiry to Her Majesty's Customs Service in Canada is in order (that's Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, in case anyone's forgotten)--"This is what happened, this what they told me, is this standard policy?" Something here just ain't right. I'm guessing that it's a peeved overreaction by the distillery to an odd and isolated incident. Perhaps an overzealous customs agent has been regarding any package originating at a distillery as suspect, and holding up, destroying, or "overinspecting" same, and after a couple of incidents, the distillery has become fed up and stopped shipping. But I would think that a few well-placed letters might help to iron things out.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:42 am

And hey, Aidan, I had no trouble getting my t-shirt from the Rockall Times!

Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:39 am

Mr T, wait until Rockall gains entry to the European Union - then it will be impossible to order t-shirts from there. Of course, they'll have to improve their human rights record before they get in, so there may be no hurry.

I could be wrong about the textiles thing, but I just though I heard or read it somewhere.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:41 am

I agree with you Mr.T there should be no issues sending tshirts and the like but who knows what unofficial trade embargoes the EU, USA/Canada and China are concocting amonst themselves.

All I can say is that the Canadian custom officers are either very diligent or very bored :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Frodo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:58 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:It's a Commonwealth country, for crying out loud. This whole thing smells really funny. I think an inquiry to Her Majesty's Customs Service in Canada is in order (that's Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, in case anyone's forgotten)--"This is what happened, this what they told me, is this standard policy?" Something here just ain't right.

Don't forget our constitution gives us the right to "law, order, and good government" as opposed to yours which states "land liberty and the pursuit of happiness". BIG difference. Our Gov't will let us know the lawful and appropriate avenues by which we can pursue happiness...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:17 am

Mr Picky sez that's "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", and it's in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. And I thought yours was "peace, order, and good government". But you are essentially correct about the emphasis.

Aidan, how can Rockall improve its human rights record when it has no humans?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky sez that's "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", and it's in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. And I thought yours was "peace, order, and good government". But you are essentially correct about the emphasis.

Aidan, how can Rockall improve its human rights record when it has no humans?

That's the reason it has to improve it's human rights record. There are no women or ethnics employed on the rock. Nor does it have a place to worship, and it's infrastructure is non-existant.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:19 am

But it is also free of disease, poverty, crime, ignorance, bigotry, unemployment, and American Idol.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:36 am

Heaven on Earth does exist!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: Query regarding distillery

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:24 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:It wasn't Ardbeg, but I may consider trying to order from them if there were no difficulties. I actually wanted a ballcap and a couple of tasting glasses for a friend who had acquired a bottle from the distillery in question (while he was visitng last year) as a thank you for his generosity.

I'm still mulling over contacting the distillery direct to query these shipping practises, as they do appear counter productive to good customer relations.
Pete

I am curious. Just which distillery was it? I am thinking about placing an order with Laphroaig.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Alas, I'll dinna order fra' th' ancestral hameland.

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 am

This should be the end of this thread... I've decided not to attempt to order from across the pond at all. I had PM'd with VG and the shipping costs were pretty high for him as were mine. The distillery was very honest and above board with me about shipping to North America which I do appreciate.
Finally, I took a look at my credit card statement and between sending the order and having it cancelled... it cost another $6.77 between exchange going out and paying exchange coming back in. :x And I dinna e'en gi' a kiss!. :D
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder