Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tesco Islay Single Malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Tesco Islay Single Malt

Postby unusualandraremalts » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi to all. I'm new to the forum so apologise if this has been answered before.
Tesco has a single Islay malt at an incredibly good price - has anyone tasted it? Any ideas as to what it is?
Ditto their Highland malt
Thanks
unusualandraremalts

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:05 pm

Talked about a while ago (2 years), but seems to the same.
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=894

Ps. Click the search button above and then enter Tesco and you will see various posts about supermarket whisky. :)
Matt2

Re: Tesco Islay Malt

Postby Leither » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Yes, it used to be Bruichladdich in disguise, bottled by Whyte & Mackay for Tesco. Previously called 'Ardnave' - they recently sold off old stocks of this for £9.99 so I scooped a few up - but they have now went back to Islay, Highland and Speyside rather than made-up distillery names.

Other good UK supermarket own-label islays include Morrisons (formerly Safeway), Sainsburys and Asda which I have tried. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible highly rates the Sainsburys, which is the most expensive at £15.99 but still excellent value IMHO.

Asda price for the Islay Pure is currently at £12.78 (knocking £1 off after Tesco re-launched theirs) which is great value - bottled by Douglas Macniven. Apparently the Waitrose and Majestic own-label Islays are good as well, but I haven't tried (yet!) - Waitrose being very new to Edinburgh.

I'm fairly sure most of these supermarket islays are either Bowmore or Caol Ila - and as such very good value for the novice like me.

I say novice at whisky but perhaps I'm a bit of an expert at supermarket price wars! (BTW AsdaWalMart currently has Glenlivet 18yo on offer at half price of £17.48 for anyone interested :P)
Leither
Gold Member

Postby unusualandraremalts » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks Matt & Leither. I guess the best thing to do now is try some. Shopping later for me then!
unusualandraremalts

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:50 pm

I've tried the Tesco Islay and Speyside, and for the price they are not bad drams. I'd put money on the Islay being Caol Ila, which I love.

I've not tried any of the other Supermarket own labels.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Re: Tesco Islay Malt

Postby DramMeister » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Leither wrote:(BTW AsdaWalMart currently has Glenlivet 18yo on offer at half price of £17.48 for anyone interested :P)

Just found this out myself. First Asda had none left so I had to go to a second shop and bought the last one.

What a price for a great malt!

:D :D :D
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:41 pm

I'm back in the UK for a few days in early July so I'll make a point of looking in the Superstores!
Deactivated Member

Tesco Islay Malt

Postby drambuster » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm

I recently bought a bottle of Tesco Islay malt for the first time. I would have said it tasted more like Bowmore or Caol Ila, as it is much less pungent than Laphroaig or Lagavulin. When I was in Islay for the festival a couple of years ago, I tried Bruichladdich, and thought it had a sweet, scented taste, unlike the other, smokey brands.

It was interesting to read above about the half-price 18-year old Glenlivet,
I don't remember that offer in the Asda stores in N.E. Scotland.
drambuster

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder