Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore 16 Year Cask Strength

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bowmore 16 Year Cask Strength

Postby Jdiddy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:13 am

Recently picked up a bottle while in NYC and it is just superb. I am curious what others who have tasted it think. Bowmore never seems to disappoint and this is another example. Balanced very well with just the right amount of peat. Nice sweet mellow flavor and quite exquisite.
Jdiddy

Postby Skauge » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Agreed. That's a very nice OB cask strength bottling. I'm a big fan of Bowmore and I think that this bottling really captures the character of the distillery. I think I found a bit more peat here than in the other owner's bottlings, but that just makes it different, no pros or cons about that.

I hope Bowmore will continue to release these limited editions - they're fun. :D
Skauge

Re: Bowmore 16 Year Cask Strength

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Jdiddy wrote:Recently picked up a bottle while in NYC and it is just superb. I am curious what others who have tasted it think. Bowmore never seems to disappoint and this is another example. Balanced very well with just the right amount of peat. Nice sweet mellow flavor and quite exquisite.

While I think Bowmore does disappoint sometimes, that's only natural for a distillery that has so many bottlings.

I think there are two "limited edition" 16 year olds released. There was a mostly bourbon one and a newer one matured in sherry casks. Anyway, I have had the bourbon matured one and it was very very good, in my opinion.

I'd love to try the other, as I think Bowmore goes very well with sherry.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Skauge wrote:Agreed. That's a very nice OB cask strength bottling. I'm a big fan of Bowmore and I think that this bottling really captures the character of the distillery. I think I found a bit more peat here than in the other owner's bottlings, but that just makes it different, no pros or cons about that.

Some of the Bowmores that come up at the SMWS are very peaty indeed - one was a veritable liquid ash tray. Bowmore's strenght, though, is the briny, herby, seaweedy edge. For my money, Bowmore is probably the most "Islay" of the Islays - Laphroaig's mantle having slipped many years ago. Ardbeg might argue, but whilst I think Ardbeg is probably peatier, Bowmore is wilder.

I haven't tried the 16yo but hope to do so soon.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm also keen to try this one, but am to stingy to pony up the dough for a full bottle. As an aside, whilst I generally enjoy Bowmore most of the SMWS ones I've tried have not been to my taste at all.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:14 am

As far as the stats go, I believe that Bowmore's malt specification for their peating level is around 15-25ppm.

(Compared with 35-50ppm for the Kildalton distilleries).

So - for the most part - it follows that Bowmore bottlings will generally be a little less peatier than some of the Laphroaigs, Lagavulins and Ardbegs that it gets compared against.

Of course, independent bottlings (and particularly the SMWS), are a different kettle of kippers, because single casks display so much individuality and uniqueness compared to the OB vattings.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:28 am

Admiral wrote:........
Of course, independent bottlings (and particularly the SMWS), are a different kettle of kippers, because single casks display so much individuality and uniqueness compared to the OB vattings.

Cheers,
Admiral

Which leads me to another question in regard to peated drams & ppm levels.

Say if Laphroaig pick x amount of casks from a batch to make their 10yo they do try to get it consistent in regards to what has gone before by blending these casks. Then a cask from the same batch is released IB single cask10yo which as you say can have their own 'individuality and uniqueness compared to the OB vattings'. We will no doubt come across an IB which appears to be more peated or even less peated than the regular OB.

My question is that eventhough the the IB tastes more/less peated or smokey does this neccessarily mean that it contains more ppm's. Can the influence of the cask reduce the ppm in certian cases or is it more of a scenario that it imparts other flavours to counter act the ppm effect.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:46 am

That's a great question! :)

My take on it would be this...

We know that the discernable level of peat in any whisky becomes less as the whisky gets older.

In other words, a cask of a 15yo whisky will seem slightly less peaty than that same cask would have when it was only 10 years old.

We can therefore extrapolate that the discernable levels of peat we taste in our drams will seemingly diminish with maturation.

Now...maturation, of course, is a function of the cask. Some casks (2nd or 3rd re-fills) will mature whisky much slower than a first-fill cask.

So to answer your question....if the OB contains a vatting of 10 year old casks, of which most are 2nd fill, and then an IB releases a single cask that was actually a first fill, then yes, the IB will seem peatier than the OB, even though they were distilled at the same time and perhaps even on the same distillation run! :) The first fill will have matured the whisky much faster.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:21 pm

It is all very very interesting ... I suppose at the end of the day the cask is probably the single most important influence on the whisky, I know where they are stored is important too (i.e. Islay or Highland but there are diferences with in the distillery itself too). I find the whole cask scenario amazing. It is even said that so called identical casks sitting side by side can produce differences.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Very interesting. Harry and Wendy have had a sample of this and swore that I would have loved it. :cry: I would very much like a bottle...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Frodo wrote:Very interesting. Harry and Wendy have had a sample of this and swore that I would have loved it. :cry: I would very much like a bottle...

Nothing worse than being told 'You would of loved it' They could never be that man to you :wink:

It's like thinking of going to a game then deciding not only to be told after that it was one of the greatest games ever :shock:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:58 pm

It's very different to the standard Bowmore 17, by the way. Better, in my opinion.
Aidan

Postby lbacha » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:08 pm

Hello

I just ordered a bottle of the new 16 yr old Oloroso Cask. I liked the bourbon cask alot and can't wait to try the sherry cask version. I've been hooked lately on the Enigma, and Percy let me sample some old (1964) 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks that were fabulous. IMHO Bowmore and sherry go together very well and this will hopefully be a great bottling.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Percy gave me the same two samples and they were absolutely wonderful. I think I slightly prefered the second fill. The difference in colour was interesting.

Where did you order the oloroso cask Bowmore 16?
Aidan

Postby Admiral » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:21 am

It is even said that so called identical casks sitting side by side can produce differences.

Indeed, and I've said it here myself many times! :)

I sampled from two casks that were filled on the same day from the same spirit run that then spent 12 years sitting side by side next to one another in the warehouse.

When I tasted the samples, you would never have known they came from the same distillery, let alone from the same spirit run.

(And for the record, both casks were ex-bourbon, so it wasn't even a case of sherry versus bourbon :shock: )

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:09 am

Hi there,

it´s magic! 8)

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Aidan wrote:Percy gave me the same two samples and they were absolutely wonderful. I think I slightly prefered the second fill. The difference in colour was interesting.

Where did you order the oloroso cask Bowmore 16?

They were both great but I agree the second fill was IMHO better, I believe Percy liked the first fill himself better.

As for the Oloroso Cask I ordered it from Royal Mile Whisky, I just got an email from them saying they got some new stock. I also ordered the new 13 yr old Port wood Ben Nevis. I already have a bottle but it is quite interesting and worth trying so I though a second couldn't hurt. If you want a review it is the 13 yr old Jim Murray talks about in his 2006 book that was bottled in 2004.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder