Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Seattle pub

General chat and talk about whisky.

Seattle pub

Postby rthomson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:44 am

Has anyone visited the St. Andrews Bar and Grill in Seattle? They opened last October and are now advertising a single malt menu of 100+ bottles. Single malts are tough to come by in Washington so that number grabbed my attention. If anyone has been there, I'm interested in your opinions of the place. I'm going to try to stop by this Friday evening. My plans aren't definite but if anyone is so inclined to chat over a dram or two let me know and I'll try to get my schedule worked out.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:47 am

Well, after a month's delay, I was finally able to check out St. Andrews. It's a nice place and I was pleased to see that they were not lying about 100+ single malts. I didn't do a count of my own but the bartender said they currently have 115. It's well off of downtown, so any visitors would need a car or taxi. Nevertheless, it's the most extensive malts list I've found in this city, and state for that matter. I enjoyed a 14yo Rosebank and 10yo BenRiach. Their pours are quite generous, they almost compare with the pour on the cover of WM 56, though with a cleaner glass and a far less attractive consumer. It's a new place and they will be expanding their dinner menu next month.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:31 pm

I was in Seattle/Bellevue just recently and went for dinner at Daniel's Broiler. had to wait at the bar for a while, they seemed also to have a fairly decent selection of malt (at least 25+, including some excellent specials).

What struck me as truly annoying was a gentleman who was a member of the bar staff: When I ordered a Lagavulin distiller's edition, I asked if I could get it in a snifter / copita glass instead of a standard tumbler. This gentleman then looked at me like I was nuts, and started to argue with me about the glass in most boisterous way. 'You want your WHISKY in a snifter? You're crazy! I tell ya, if you want it in the wrong glass fine, but you're crazy!'

I tried to explain that it is commonplace to enjoy such a fine dram from a tulip-shaped glass in whisky circles, but he didn't wanna hear of it. 'I'm from Glasgow and I can tell you, whisky is drank from a whiskyglass, you don't know what you're talking about - I know whisky, I'm from Glasgow for ...'s sakes!!'. At this point I felt he was just being loud and rude, with a thick American accent, so I just settled in telling him that he should look at a whisky magazine some day, and that between him and me, I think I was the last of us to have even visited Glasgow, if that's any merit of some sorts..
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 pm

I can't believe that a barman would go to that length to argue over a glass... :roll: But then again I suppose he thinks he's the man and knows all there is to know about serving drinks. Nice one about telling him to pick up a whisky mag sometime.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe one day he'll realise that eventhough he is a professional :?: he still can learn.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Yes, well...I wasn't even an argument. I asked for a type of glass, which prompted him to rant and get nasty regarding my choice, as well as calling my choice totally insane and incorrect. I tried to smile and explain that I want to also enjoy the aroma and that this is perfectl normal, only to get another outburst of inpoliteness. He was still croaking 'I'm from Glasgow ya know' as I was walking away from the bar.

A case of somewhat misguided concept of customer service, I'd say. Didn't expect it in a reasonably classy place.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:25 pm

In general, I've found that bars in the Seattle area lack knowledge of single malts. That's one thing, but the reaction from that bartender is another thing altogether. It shouldn't happen. Daniel's Broiler is typically known for its service and to experience a reaction like that is surprising. On the other hand, due to its popularity it's a fairly lucrative gig for the barstaff so I guess they don't concern themselves if they lose a customer or two due to their rudeness. That's a shame.
rthomson
Silver Member

Re: Seattle pub

Postby Aeolus » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 pm

Washington State is not a friendly environment for alcholic beverages in general. In fact, the Pacific Northwest was a major hot bed of the Prohibition movement, and when Repeal happened, Oregon, Washington and Idaho were NOT happy. Washington fought repeal tooth and claw and still has some of the highest taxes and most restrictive liquor practices in the USA.

The State of Washington is the ONLY supplier of distilled spirits and they make no apologies for the fact that they exist to solely serve the Restaurant / Bar industry and sales to "the public" are grudginly permitted only to collect "sin" tax revenue.

Getting SMS is very difficult and only the the largest and most successful brands are stocked as requested by the "Industry". Speciality items will occasionally be carried IF they can be taxed exorbitantly and sold in quanity.

Because the two other neighboring states have similar attitudes and laws, "going next door", so to speak, does little good. Going north to Canada involves liquor and an international border; and, with Washington State involved that makes it a nightmare.

Thus, just learning of this bar is is worth reading this whole site. I have read a lot of the postings on this site in wonder and envy but have never posted because of the socially retarded (in regards to liquor and adults) area in which I live. Almost all the things discussed on these blogs will NEVER be available in this part of the USA.
Enjoy what you have elsewhere and I appreciate hearing of this bar. My wife and I look forward to trying some unusual things.
Aeolus

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 am

To lawschooldrunk,

Well if you are ever out on this coast, let me know and I can give you a close and impressive mountain top to have a few drams on. Space needle is much publicized but is a bit underwhelming.

Both your requests can easily be arranged should you venture to the uncivilized and barbaric Northwest.

Let us know! :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:57 am

Aeolus, I will be in Seattle at the end of January, visiting Ron (rthomson). Perhaps we can get together for a pint and a dram. Are you in the city?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:43 am

To MrTattieHeid,

Actually, I'm a little north of Seattle, at the north end of Lake Washington. The name of the town is Kenmore (actually named after the one in Scotland).

I would be very glad to join you and Mr Thomson if you have the time and inclination for a dram.

I'm not sure of the protocol on this site for exchanging contact information (I'm a newbie, or FNG in my parlance), but if you'll let me know, we can make the arrangements.

Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness. I look foward to it. :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:39 pm

The Seward Park area is about the middle of the lake on the west side. The lake is 22 miles long, north to south. North end is nice also. Not quite so intensely urban.

But really, lawschooldrunk, a drunk working out? Tough to picture! Seems like a "one or the other" proposition. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Aeolus

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Welcome to the forums Aeolus, nice to learn about the alcohol system up there. At least you do have a few great distilleries making good whiskey in Portland...
http://clearcreekdistillery.com/whiskey.html
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage

Good stuff, enjoy them!
Di Blasi

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Thank you for the welcome Di Blasi :D

We can't seem to find Whiskey Magazine stocked anywhere over here, so I've been "lurking" online and happily reading lots and lots of old posts and learning quite a bit. Of course, any addition to zero (my knowledge level) appears impressive. I'm an 'umble man, and I have much to be 'umble about!

Thank you again for your welcome; I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading many more in the future.

:D :D :D
Aeolus

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:I'd put money down that I am the skinniest forumite! body mass/fat index somewhere around 7-10%. :D

With no insulation you might get a little cold up here, especially in the mountains; but then being in Maryland, maybe you've already over come that problem.

:lol:

The offer still stands however, if you ever get out this way. If you'd like, I can send you some summer (and winter) views from the mountain top. It is an impressive place for a dram or two.

Your dietary principles for maintaining a low body fat index are quite intriguing. As I understand it, it is predicated upon the consumption of single malts and massive amounts of brutal physical exercise.

I'm attempting to master the first part of that prescription. When I've mastered that portion I'll attempt the second.

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks Aeolus, glad you've decided to join us!! I have a few sets of friends in your parts, so for sure when I'm over next time I'll let you know. Enjoy your hunt for good whisk(e)y!! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby Aeolus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Thanks Aeolus, glad you've decided to join us!! I have a few sets of friends in your parts, so for sure when I'm over next time I'll let you know.

Please do!

:thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:11 pm

And of course, if you ever find yourself in Norway too, give a word! My friends from there have told me the boat rides in the fjords here in the west are reminders of the San Juan Islands there.
Di Blasi

Postby Photon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Welcome to the forums Aeolus, nice to learn about the alcohol system up there. At least you do have a few great distilleries making good whiskey in Portland...
http://clearcreekdistillery.com/whiskey.html
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage

Good stuff, enjoy them!

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't sampled Clear Creek's "McCarthy's" yet. McMenamins' "Hogshead" has a noticeable corn taste, so it's not really up my alley, but it is still quite distinct from bourbon. Their brandy is very good. There is also a distillery (House Spirits) that is offering an opportunity to distill, age and bottle your own whisky.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 am

That distill your own Photon deal sounds cool. Give the McCarthy's a try! They use peated Scottish barley, it's quite good and very interesting, and
http://www.widmer.com
makes the beer they distill!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:52 am

Mr Tattie Heid visited both Clear Creek and McMenamin's little stillhouse at their Edgefield facility in July, and is embarrassed to state that the report he was writing lies half-finished. Time to get back on it.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder