Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Shops, Scotland+Ireland Trip...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky Shops, Scotland+Ireland Trip...

Postby thehighking » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:52 am

So...I am finally going to make it to Scotland! Here's my itinerary:

Day 1-5: Edinburgh
6-9: Islay
9-11: London
11-14: Dublin

I'd like to buy some whiskies while I'm abroad (particularly things I can't get around here like ind. bottlings, but also things that are *hard* to get here like Mac18). Where would people recommend that I shop? I've heard whiskies are expensive in Scotland---am I better off trying to buy everything in Dublin?

I'm hoping to visit some distilleries---will they have certain bottlings that you can't get outside of the distillery?

Any help is appreciated as are any other recommendations or thoughts!
thehighking

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:48 am

Highking

Actually, you're better off buying everything in Scotland, even if it's Irish whiskey. The tax is lower in the United Kingdom.

However, you could have a look at the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dame Street in Dublin. It's near Stephen's Green. It is possible you could pick up a few bargains, maybe because rare Scotch is not as much in demand as it is elsewhere.

Anyway, enjoy your trip.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 pm

If you are driving between Edinburgh and Islay, stop at Loch Fyne Whiskies in Inveraray.

In Edinburgh, you have many choices, including Royal Mile Whiskies, numerous outlets of The Whisky Shop, and the Cadenheads shop down the Royal Mile. You can taste a number of Cadenheads bottlings in the Bow Bar.

In Islay, look for distillery-only bottlings at various distilleries, particularly the fill-your-own Valinch at Bruichladdich.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:30 pm

You can get some less common Irish whiskies at the Old Jameson's Distillery in Dublin. In Edinburgh, the olny decent branch of The Whisky Shop that is open at the moment is in Victoria Street - opposite the Bow Bar. Royal Mile Whiskies and Cadenheads are a must, as Mr TH says. You can also get some whiskies at Jenners and at Baxters in Ocean Terminal (both have more from the G&M range), Leith. There is also a good whisky shop airside in Edinburgh Airport. The Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre has a good range of OBs - most of them are overpriced but there are one or two bargains to be had. They also have a bar selling a wide range of OB drams - including some very rare and expensive ones. Shame there's no atmosphere there.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:38 pm

You might want to check online and see if the Dublin airport has their duty free selection listed because that may be your best bet. From the price standpoint I would only get special bottles or things you can only get on the other side of the big pond. For example I just picked up 2 bottles of a single cask glenmorangie that was fully matured for 13 yrs in new "post oak" barrels, at the duty free in schipol. If you are going through any of the london airports the world of whisky shops their are very nice as well.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:50 pm

lbacha wrote:You might want to check online and see if the Dublin airport has their duty free selection listed because that may be your best bet. From the price standpoint I would only get special bottles or things you can only get on the other side of the big pond. For example I just picked up 2 bottles of a single cask glenmorangie that was fully matured for 13 yrs in new "post oak" barrels, at the duty free in schipol. If you are going through any of the london airports the world of whisky shops their are very nice as well.

Len

There isn't a great selection at Dublin Airport, unfortunately, although you can pick up Jameson Gold and some limited edition Bushimills.
Aidan

Postby lbacha » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Oh well, I've been spoiled going through Heathrow and Schipol. They actually have some of the better shops I've seen anywhere, always something new and lots of hard to find whisky's.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:08 pm

On Islay as Mr TH says look out for the valinches at Bruichladdich .
At Bunnahabhain they'll probably still have the Festival 14yo PX finish (and possibly last years Port finish) and a couple of other older ones .
In Bowmore have a look at The Islay Whisky Shop (the Spar Shop) , it usually has a load of Indie bottlings that you don't see elsewhere .

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby thehighking » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:23 am

Thank you all for such wonderful recommendations!!!

I feel like the Whisky Exchange in London seems to be one of the best deals (just from price comparisons on the 'net.) It would be nice because I wouldn't have to shlep around bottles for my whole trip...

I am definitely looking to buy things I can't get here and maybe some bottles that I can get here, but that are *significantly* cheaper there (e.g. Macallan 18).

The only thing I am worried about is that the British Airways flight from London->Dublin claims to have a 25 kilo limit per passenger...it seems that whisky bottles would weigh a significant amount...

As far as Islay, I'm staying in Port Ellen---so Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig will be the first distillery stops...

I have to add---curse the current US economy! :) The exchange rate is killing me.
thehighking

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:31 am

In London check out The Vintage House in Soho.

http://www.vintagehouse.co.uk
http://www.sohowhisky.com
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:23 am

Ceck out celtic whiskey shop as Aidan has said

Their site is

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/

and they will probably have the best selection of Irish Whiskies you are lightly to find anywhere but if you have a chance of buying in Dublin Airport then do so.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby thehighking » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:53 am

Awesome...any particular Irish whisky recommendations? I've only really tried Jameson and Midleton...I liked both very much, the latter was much more interesting and complex than the former.

In other realms, the following whiskies tend to be favorites: Macallan, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, George T. Stagg, Elijah Craig, etc.
thehighking

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:47 am

As your from the states it might be worth talking to the guys about getting the stuff couriered back to the states. Then you should then be able to pay for you whiskey less 21% vat as even with postage it should be cheaper. However I don't know if you'll be charged tax on that when it reaches the states so that is something you'd want to find out. The guys in the shop might even know all about that.

Redbreast 12yo is good to try but you might be able to get that state side for the same price.

Any Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey or trio 5cl pack with free glencairn glass (1 x Regular, 1 x 12yo & 1 x Cask strength Connemara) .
Greenspot pure pot still
Hewitts Blended (Something different but very hard to get and may not be available when you visit. It has a slight touch of smoke and spice)
Powers Regular or 12yo version

They usually have a far bigger selelction than what they have on their website as some others would be in short supply. So ask in the shop and they should point you in the right direction. And there is always 2 or 3 botttles on the tasting stand.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder