Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Marston's Single Malt Beer

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Marston's Single Malt Beer

Postby Leither » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 pm

I know slightly off our favourite topic of whisky but thought you may be interested and wondered if anyone else had tried?

Bottle description as follows:

MARSTON'S. ESTD 1834. Burton Upon Trent. Made With 100% Golden Promise Malt. Brewed using 100% Golden Promise malt, one of the oldest varieties of brewing barley. This full-flavoured malt, popular with Scotch Whisky distillers, combines with fine English hops to produce a smooth, mellow beer. The resulting flavour is subtly different from any other with all the distinctiveness of a fine single malt whisky. MARSTON'S DON'T COMPROMISE. ALC 4.2% VOL. 2.1 UK Units.

Available from larger Tesco outlets in the UK. I thought it was very good, nice and smooth with a malty/nutty taste, balancing with the hops well.

I'm normally a Belhaven or Deuchars/Caley IPA man but will now be stocking up on this instead to drink before some drams. This Marston's Single Malt went particularly well followed up with a few drams of Clynelish last night.

Anyway, website for further info is http://www.marstonsdontcompromise.com
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:00 pm

That sounds really good. I wonder if that will be available in the States?
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:28 am

Must try this one when I'm going over to the UK later this week.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:46 pm

Surprised no one 's posted this press release from our friends at Bruichladdich from earlier in the month .....

Worts ‘n Ale
An ale has been brewed from Islay single malt for the first time.

Micro-brewery Islay Ales, on the Hebridean island of the same name, has hooked up with neighbouring distiller Bruichladdich to produce a powerful and heady brew.

By interrupting the whisky–making process at the stage of mashing, 600 litres of the pre-fermented liquor known as ‘wort’ was shipped to Islay Ales brewery.

Here, using brewer’s yeast, the ‘wort’ obtained from a maceration of Optic barley, was fermented to a knee-trembling 9% alcohol ale.

Brewer Paul Hathaway added Challenger and Bramling Cross hops for extra flavour:
“The distillery usually gets a 7% alcohol using different yeast strain – but I managed to get a thumping 9% alcohol.”

“It’s a crossover drink: it has the delicious malty richness of Bruichladdich’s wort and the bitterness of hops. You can drink it now – it will get even better with time.”

1,800 bottles (33cl) entitled “Worts n’Ale” will be sold at £3 each exclusively by Islay Ales. 25 pence from each bottle will go to the RNLI.

The debut for this monster was Sunday 28th May at the opening day of the Islay Whisky & Music Festival “Feis Ile” at Bruichladdich Distillery.

“At 9% alcohol this is a beer for savouring and certainly not for session drinking. We’re hoping for a cool weather: Heaven help us if it’s a hot, thirst-quenching day…”

note
The Islay Ales Company Limited was founded by Paul Hathaway, Paul Capper and Walter Schobert in 2003 to establish a microbrewery on the Hebridean Isle of Islay.
Paul Hathaway moved to Islay in August 2003, having visited many times on holiday in the past. His long-term ambition was to live and work on the Island.
Paul Capper moved to Islay to live in 1993, though he only became a full time resident in January 2003 after retiring from the West Midlands Fire Service after 27 years.
Walter Schobert recently retired after many years working as the curator of the German Film Museum in Frankfurt, Germany. He has a life long interest in beer and Single Malt Scotch Whisky, subjects on which he has written extensively. With his interest in Single Malt Whisky it was natural for him to retire to Islay with its seven working distilleries.

http://www.islayales.com/
Enquiries: Islay Ales 01496810014 enquiries@islayales.com

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm

Marston's effort is a good one, although it can be confusing at times. I knew it was an ale but my brain was saying a mild whisky. Not a bad thought though :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder