Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caol Ila Distiller's Edition 1993

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Caol Ila Distiller's Edition 1993

Postby Skauge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:43 am

We've got a sample of the new Caol Ila Distiller's Edition that will be launced this august. Here are my tasting notes. I think there's a web page that has some pictures of the bottle too. ;-)

Caol Ila Distiller’s Edition
1993-2006, 43%, Moscatel finish

Nose: A light and perfumy scent of sweet fruit that could be apricot. It seems fullbodied at the nose, no smoke or peat to begin with, but as it develops in the glass, the peat becomes stronger.

Taste: Very soft og round at the start, some sweetness, but it really opens up after a while. The peat struggles to find its way, but suddenly it appears and then it stays.

Finish: The finish is a mix of good ol’ Caol Ila peat with some ripe and sweet fruits.

The Moscatel has made this whisky fuller and more smooth. It has made the Caol Ila much sweeter and ligter on the nose. But, when the peat first appears on the nose and in the taste, it’s definently Caol Ila.
Skauge

Postby Bob & Jill » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:38 pm

Skauge, thanks for the report on the new Caol Ila---sounds really interesting. But judging from your signature line I get the feeling you are in Europe and more than most likely this Caol Ila will not make it over the big pond very soon. Do you have any info if they are going to export it to N. Am.?
Jill
Bob & Jill
Nothing is better than an Islay!
Bob & Jill

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:51 pm

I think you have to ask your local Diageo USA-representative on that.

The bottle is already for sale at WoW at Stansted Airport (it's been spotted at a cost of £40ish).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder