Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Worm tubs

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Worm tubs

Postby Frank D.Scott » Thu Jan 25, 2001 2:01 am

Hello all,
I recently read in the Whisky Magazine that only 12 distilleries are still using worm tubs to condense the spirit off the still.Would you know which ones still are as I would interested in finding out.
yours aye,Frank
Frank D.Scott

Postby JimHall » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:03 pm

You should note that Dalwhinnie took them out then went back to them... for flavour reasons they say.
The worm tubs at Edradour have to be visited they are simply the best.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:19 am

"Worm tubs" sound like something you'd see on Fear Factor. (Not that I would actually know.)

Frank, I think I'll be in on Bastille Day--probably around 6pm.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:18 pm

Apparently the worms add flavour. And protein.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:12 pm

Don't the worms die when you sparge with hot water?

Everybody knows that if you drink whisky, you won't get worms. (cf very old joke...surely no one needs it repeated?) Obviously it doesn't follow that if you use worms, you won't get whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Don't the worms die when you sparge with hot water?

Yes they do, but you have to be real quick and take a step back to avoid being bitten before it dies :?
Worms=adders in norwegian - in english too?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Worms are wriggly segmented invertebrates that dig through the soil and crawl on the sidewalk on rainy days. Adders are snakes. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by a worm!

And the old joke (most of you can skip this, and I apologize in advance for even repeating it): A football coach (or army drill sergeant) attempts to teach his charges a lesson by putting a worm in a glass of water, and another one in a glass of whisky. The one in the water wriggles around; the one in the whisky immediately dies. "What have you learned from this?" he asks. One of the lads answers, "If you drink whisky, you won't get worms."
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:40 pm

Worms are wriggly segmented invertebrates that dig through the soil and crawl on the sidewalk on rainy days. Adders are snakes. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by a worm!

Ah, thanks for the clarification! As I said worms/adders/snakes can mean the same in norwegian.

Anyway, I gave in to the pressure of not buying whisky this month, partly because of lack of will and partly because the plumbing bill wasn't as high as I feared it might be! So I bought a Dalwhinnie 15 YO. The reason for mentioning this is because on the box it says:Increasingly rare wooden worm-tubs.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:11 am

On the subject of The tubs
I think the Worm tubs at Dalwhinnie are probably the biggets in use............. anyone make me right /wrong.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Worm Tubs

Postby Frank D.Scott » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:58 am

Well, It took a couple of years to get this topic going but I 'm still interested.I have been taking in the Speyside Whisky Festival the past few years and discovered that Balmenach still uses worm tubs as well as Speyburn. I was out on the roof having a look see at both distilleries. Thanks to Managers Dennis Malcolm and Bobby Anderson for their tours.I love the Balmenach 12 yr F&F.I have been trying to find more of it but not easy any more. I look forward to the new stuff in a few years.
I'll try to be about on your stop over in F'ton Mr. Tattieheid...I'll treat ya tae a dram..with a nosing glass to boot....Mortlach's worm tubs seemed larger than most but I cannot remember Dalwhinnie's so you might just be right on the largest ones. :lol: Worm tubs might be a step back in time but, I like them.I liked Inver House Distilleries. Like stepping back in time.

yours aye,
Frank
Frank D.Scott

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks in advance, Frank--I'll try to pm you when the date is nearer.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder