Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:35 am

Has anyone ever heard of or seen Wasmund's pot stilled non chill filtered single malt whisky? I came across this while following a link from another thread. It is made by the Copper Fox Distillery in Virginia.

How do we do it?
The foundation of our product is Thoroughbred barley from our own private grower and used by no other distillery. We malt our own, in small batches, using a traditional floor malting the way it's been done for centuries in Scotland.

When the malt is ready to be dried, we don't use peat! Instead we use the smoke of an apple wood, cherry wood and oak wood fire that is kept at a slow burn for a night and a day. This is another first for single malt whiskey that adds to the cascade of finishing flavors.

When the malt is ready, it is milled here and mixed with hot water to make a sweet smoky mash that is pumped over to the fermenter where yeast is added and it is fermented out to a distiller's beer.

The beer goes through our double pot still and comes out in one-barrel batches. It is said that the smaller the still the better the whisky, by that standard this may well be the best whisky on the market today!

The next step is our secret chip and barrel aging process (patent pending). We can only tell you that it involves apple wood, cherry wood and oak chips, special selection and toasting techniques, and more time and passion than could be expected from a larger operation. Our process results in a deep, rich range of finish flavors that is unique. It also happens to obtain optimal maturity much faster. Please don't hold that against us. Sometimes older is better, sometimes it's not.

We are small. Three of us do all the work. We continue to have a passion for making great whiskey and hope that feeling comes through with every sip of Wasmund's Whiskey. Please buy a bottle soon and enjoy it responsibly.

http://copperfox.biz/
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:19 am

Hi there,

I think the forum search function will unearth another thread from about two month ago where we talked about Copper Fox Distillery.
I have not yet seen or tasted one of their whiskies yet. Apple Wood?

Greetings
kallaskander

PS Just saw that the other rhead is active again.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:48 pm

The other thread is for Copper Fox whisky made by Belmont Farms. This thread is for Wasmund's single malt whisky made by the Copper Fox distillery. I know it is confusing. They are both in Virginia as well. Copper Fox whisky has toasted apple wood chips soaking in the whisky before they barrel it. Wasmund's using apple wood to dry the barley instead of using peat.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:21 am

Hi there,

hä???

I mean one distillery makes a whiskey that is named like a distillery that makes anothes whiskey and both in Virginia? What abaout a fusion and going worldwide? :wink:

You are right it is a bit confusing. Is there a plan behind it or is that coincidence?

Greetings
kallaskader
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:09 am

I spoke to the Master Distiller yesterday and he told me the whisky would be available in late July or August.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:53 pm

So yesterday I took a drive out to the Virginia mountains and got a personal tour from Rick Wasmund. He worked at Bowmore on Islay for a short time and that is where he learned the art of distilling. The distillery is in an old apple warehouse and they malt there own barley using floor malting. I tried a sample from a barrel that was only two months old and it was very good. When I nosed it I could really pick up the apple wood. It will be available in DC next month and in Virginia probably sometime in September.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Re: Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:15 pm

I was intrigued by the idea of Virginia single malt, but hesitant to plunk down the money for something aged only 4 months. Then a friend brought me a bottle after a trip to Richmond. I really want to like this stuff - it's something new and different made by hand in an American state other than Kentucky or Tennessee - but I'm afraid this won't cut it. It doesn't even taste like whisky - more like floor polish or sucking on popsicle sticks. I can only hope this is from a bad batch, as I can't imagine someone setting out to create this flavor. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions of Wasmund's - in fact, I have a nearly full bottle I'd be glad to pass along!

Jon B :(
Jon Barleycorn

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder