Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How long does your bottle last?????

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How long does your bottle last?????

Postby drfred » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 am

I was wondering just how long, on average, does a bottle of your favorite dram last? If I really like something, it usually doesn't last but about three to four days. Please tell me that I am not an alcoholic for this! :roll:
drfred

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:20 am

The fact I have about 20 bottles open at any one time I'd be getting worried if I was clearing a bottle I liked ever 3-4 days as I'd have to many bottles that I really like open. In general I'd empty a bottle in about 3-4 weeks if I was really into it as I like to measure it up against others.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: How long does your bottle last?????

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:28 am

drfred wrote:I was wondering just how long, on average, does a bottle of your favorite dram last? If I really like something, it usually doesn't last but about three to four days. Please tell me that I am not an alcoholic for this! :roll:

I would advise you not to buy another bottle of something you really like directly after finishing the last bottle you really liked.
Aidan

Postby bamber » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:28 am

drfred wrote:I was wondering just how long, on average, does a bottle of your favorite dram last? If I really like something, it usually doesn't last but about three to four days. Please tell me that I am not an alcoholic for this! :roll:

21 units is the recommended weekly allowance for men (which I generally exceed). A 75 cl bottle at 40% (80 proof) contains 30 units. A unit is 10 cc of pure alocohol.

The bottom line is that for the average person, this is way too much, as it works out at about 60 units / week. How much this hurts depends on your lean body mass and gentic tolerance to alcohol.

You may find this link cuts through the crap:

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth ... ctype.html
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:06 pm

If I really like a bottle it generally lasts a month. If I don't really like a bottle it may sit on the shelf for 6 months or even a couple of years. I have a good number of bottles open, however, so I rarely drink much of one at one time.

We've discussed how much we drink on some other threads. Generally 1-3 a night is considered positively affecting for men, more than that (more than 14 drinks a week) is considered unhealthy. I think I average out to more like a bottle a week which would be a bit too much but I don't really count -- only when I go back through the "what did/are you drinking" threads or when I take stock of my bottles do I see the consumption rate. If you have 5-7 drinks nightly (enough to finish off a bottle in 3-4 nights) then that is definitely too much on a regular basis. If you only do that once a month then it probably isn't too bad (most college students do much worse).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Having around 35 open bottles,each bottle last for about 5-6 months.
Dubois

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14 pm

bamber wrote:

21 units is the recommended weekly allowance for men (which I generally exceed). A 75 cl bottle at 40% (80 proof) contains 30 units. A unit is 10 cc of pure alocohol.

The bottom line is that for the average person, this is way too much, as it works out at about 60 units / week. How much this hurts depends on your lean body mass and gentic tolerance to alcohol.

Most doctors would recommend that you match your alcohol consumption with your girth. If you find your are drinking too much, try putting on lots of weight. I think that's what a responsible doctor would recommend anyway.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 pm

bamber wrote:
drfred wrote:..........and gentic tolerance to alcohol.

I find Alcohol never bothers me as we are very good friends so I really don't have to tolerate it at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Jan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Bottles generally last me 6-8 months.

Bottles I really like usually go in about 2 months or so.

Each to his own and all that... but a bottle in 3-4 days is a bit on the high side, if you ask me.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:01 pm

The bottle seems to last forever, however, the whisky is long gone!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Aidan wrote:Most doctors would recommend that you match your alcohol consumption with your girth. If you find your are drinking too much, try putting on lots of weight. I think that's what a responsible doctor would recommend anyway.

Excellent idea, perhaps IWC's, butter suggestion is called for.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby drfred » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:04 am

Well I certainly dont need to gain any weight since I'm well over 300lbs. And I was just kidding about being an alcoholic. Seriously, I appreciate all the info you guys have given me! As they say in the States, 'Everythings bigger in Texas'. Even the bullshit. Tonight I am enjoying some Macallan CS and enjoying it tremendously.

Fred
drfred

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:29 am

Once i open a bottle, its doomed and i make sure it's death is swift and i am painless. :wink: :lol:
Usually less than a week. :oops:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:21 am

drfred wrote:Well I certainly dont need to gain any weight since I'm well over 300lbs. And I was just kidding about being an alcoholic. Seriously, I appreciate all the info you guys have given me! As they say in the States, 'Everythings bigger in Texas'. Even the bullshit. Tonight I am enjoying some Macallan CS and enjoying it tremendously

It's a great dram. Satisfying and full of power. Sorry if I came across a little straight faced - can never tell for sure when someone's kidding with the written word.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:23 pm

:oops:
I knackered my back - strained the rhomdoid muscle - and decided that self medication was the answer.
Ingedients: 1 bottle of Glenmorangie 10
1 packet of Ibuprofen

Directions: Watch USA Grand Prix then footie.
Consume sufficient tablets and wash down with bottle of scotch (or as near as damn it!).

Eat dinner and feel better. Quite soon after, do not feel better.
Undergo a series of involuntary back exercises and go to bed.

For rest of week dine on cold tongue pie, excellently served up by Mrs C.

This particular bottle lasted 2 days

PS Back is fine.......................liver is recovering................ears cooling down :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:12 pm

A bottle will generally last two to four months. I now try to limit my open bottles to no more than three. In the past I've made the mistake of having too many open bottles and having several suffer from oxidation due to being open for far too long. Of course, the other lesson I've learned is to hit a bottle a little harder when I first detect deterioration :wink:

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby drfred » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Crieftan- Now thats my idea of self-medication! Can't go wrong that way. :lol: :lol:

Fred
drfred

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:25 am

An open bottle usually lasts me awhile because I am generally concerned with not being able to obtain more in the near future for either availability or finiancial reasons. As a result, the stuff I am the most fond of actually lasts the longest. I have no qualms about finishing a bottle I don't particularly like because I'm not sorry about seeing it go or clearing up valuable shelf space.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:18 am

Elliot wrote:......, the stuff I am the most fond of actually lasts the longest. I have no qualms about finishing a bottle I don't particularly like because I'm not sorry about seeing it go or clearing up valuable shelf space.

I am usually the same. If there is something that I really like and cannot replace very easily (like most scotches) I take my time with the bottle and savour it. Plough through stuff I don't like just to get rid of it :lol: However sometimes there are bottles that I get that I can't put down. I went through over half my bottle of Lap QC in 3 nights and had to put the brakes on, probably wll be finished with next sitting :cry:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Bob & Jill » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:46 pm

hpulley wrote (Jul 5): "We've discussed how much we drink on some other threads. Generally 1-3 a night is considered positively affecting for men, more than that (more than 14 drinks a week) is considered unhealthy. I think I average out to more like a bottle a week which would be a bit too much but I don't really count -- only when I go back through the "what did/are you drinking" threads or when I take stock of my bottles do I see the consumption rate. If you have 5-7 drinks nightly (enough to finish off a bottle in 3-4 nights) then that is definitely too much on a regular basis. If you only do that once a month then it probably isn't too bad (most college students do much worse). Harry"

I just ran across an encouraging article (below) on the internet that can shed some more light on this subject (Guess you guys will have to wait until you are 70 before drinking is "Healthy"): Jill
Bob & Jill

Another study Shows Light Drinking Good for Heart
(Reuters Health 7/25/06)
Older adults who have up to one drink a day may live longer and suffer fewer heart problems than teetotalers do -- though the exact reason remains unknown, researchers report. Their study of adults in their 70s found that those who regularly had one to seven drinks per week were 30 percent less likely to develop heart disease over six years. They were also less likely to die of any cause. Light to moderate drinkers were 26 percent less likely than non-drinkers to die during the study period -- with factors like weight, cholesterol levels and physical activity taken into account.
The findings, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine (July 24, 06), add to evidence that modest alcohol intake benefits the cardiovascular system. However, the researchers found no evidence that the anti-inflammatory effects of alcohol deserved the credit, as some experts have suspected. Whatever the reason, this study "confirms a protective effect of light alcohol drinking," said lead author Dr. Cinzia Maraldi of the University of Florida in Gainesville.
Still, she and her colleagues are quick to point out that heavy drinking is a health hazard, and even moderate drinking does not have the same benefits for everyone. In their study, light drinking showed the strongest benefits in men with high levels of a protein called interleukin-6, which is associated with an elevated heart disease risk. In contrast, there was no clear benefit among women.
Bob & Jill

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Tendency is leaning towards 3 weeks...which makes my better half a bit uneasy. Ive got to say though, never felt better in the mornings.
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:41 am

Ltr of whisky = 6 to 7 days.
Thats a blend of course. A malt will last much longer than that. Only because I will drink it in between, or as a change from, drinking a blend.

Being a bit over weight, I once decided to try consuming nothing but whisky and so put myself on a whisky diet. And it worked fairly well.
In the first week, I lost three days.

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:38 am

Fergie wrote:Ltr of whisky = 6 to 7 days.
Thats a blend of course. A malt will last much longer than that. Only because I will drink it in between, or as a change from, drinking a blend.

Being a bit over weight, I once decided to try consuming nothing but whisky and so put myself on a whisky diet. And it worked fairly well.
In the first week, I lost three days.

Cheers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Righton Fergie
I've managed to find some smsw at reasonable prices, i never touch blends.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:39 am

hey fergie ... did you ever find those missing 3 days :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:59 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:hey fergie ... did you ever find those missing 3 days :lol:

Sure...he went on the wagon for three days after, and it seemed like six.
Deactivated Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:hey fergie ... did you ever find those missing 3 days :lol:

No. But I'm not really allowed to forget any lost days. The wife keeps reminding me about them. Constantly :oops:
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby DramMeister » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm trying to reduce the number of open bottles I have - usually about 10.
As a bottle tends to last me 6 mths to a year so some whiskies deterioate. Having said that the Ledaig NAS seems to have improved, some of the sulphur has gone.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Whiskana » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:48 pm

I have usually 8-12 open bottles and some of them have been popped over two years ago. They are for "guests"... 8)

Good bottle of Brora or Ardbeg goes down the throat in 4-8 months. I don't drink much but often. :wink:
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Eight months ???? must work out at about one small drink every six weeks or so. And you say that you don't drink much but often. :?: :?: :roll: :?: :?:
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby meataxe » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:52 am

I've currently got 6 bottles open at the moment, and the last bottle I polished off (Caol Ila 12) was done over 4 months or so. I think I probably have a dram about twice a week (in addition to my other addiction, port).
meataxe

Postby Thomas H. » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:34 pm

They can last a long time with me, but I'm the kind of guy that has around 20 open bottles at any given time, so it's hard to choose. :) Could be a few months, could be more then a year. Really depends.
Take into account this is the second time this year I'm not allowed any alcohol for a week, a bottle can last a while. :D
Thomas H.

Postby Whiskana » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Fergie wrote:Eight months ???? must work out at about one small drink every six weeks or so. And you say that you don't drink much but often. :?: :?: :roll: :?: :?:

I have many bottles and will drink willingly others too, not just own stock... :wink:
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:22 pm

I have been drinking very little of anything recently.

Bottles I like disappear pretty quickly, maybe over a couple of months. Although I usually save some at the end of the bottle if it's very good and I'm unlikely to come across it again soon.

Some I don't really like last forever. I have a Clynelish 14 for a long time. I liked it at first, but now can't bring myself to drink it. Not because it's bad, but there's a lot better available.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:53 pm

A quick glance at my inventory shows that most bottles last three to five months. I usually have five or six open at a time, so that translates into a bottle every two to four weeks. A lot will depend on how much I am home, as work takes me out of town a lot. Some faster bottles went in two months or less, and two different bottles of Balvenie 15 lasted exactly sixteen days each. That may not sound very fast, but that's with four or five other bottles open, so it's a good indication of how often I will return to that dram when I have it available!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Bottles that last two to three months???? OK, perhaps I have been drinking a little too much recently. I usually only have 2-3 bottles open at any time. Unfortunately, each bottle has been lasting only a week. Two things need to be said in my defense. First, the bottles have been 700ml size and not the 750ml that I was used to drinking. And secondly, these bottles have been wonderfully powerful Islay whiskies and so I feel a certain justification knowing that I am doing my part in helping the people of Islay. The inhabitants there have to eat too you know.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder