Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tax Free in Canada and other..

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:31 pm

CI, there is a duty free in Vancouver airport, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Dalmore 12 Black Isle, Isle of Jura, Tormore 12, Bunnahabhain 12 etc along with the usual line up of blends. Any chance you're going to leave the airport? What are your plans?

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Tax Free in Canada and other..

Postby Frodo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 am

C_I wrote:Any tips for good/special Canadian whiskies?

One whisky that gets good reviews from this forum is Gibson's 18yr old. This would be my choice if I wanted to spend money on a Cdn whisky.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 am

In August I will be going to Niagra Falls and I am planning on going over to the Canadian side. Any duty free stores?
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:11 am

Hi C_I...

When are you planning to be in Vancouver? ('just in case a West Coast Whisky Society event aligns with your schedule).

The distillery in Kelowna is now part of Andres Wines - and I don't believe they are producing any spirits there... A quick search led me to an aritcle about Highwood Distillers of Alberta having purchased some of the Cascadia/Potters brands:

http://albertaventure.com/abventure_470 ... oc_id=6487

Following up on Lawrence's question: there are some great deals in Alberta (more variety and often better prices than the duty-free stores at the airports) if your travels take you there...

Otherwise - I did find the Yoichi 10 in Toronto for $104.25 (not duty-free) - and if you are interested in the Yoichi 15 I'd cross the fingers - as they've discontinued carrying it:

NIKKA YOICHI SINGLE MALT 10 YEAR OLD*
Japan | Nikka Whisky Co. Hokkaido Plant
LCBO 604454 | 700 mL | $ 104.25
NIKKA YOICHI SINGLE MALT 12 YEAR OLD*
Japan | Nikka Whisky Co. Hokkaido Plant
LCBO 604462 | 700 mL | $ 119.15 | PRODUCT DISCONTINUED

If you want a true Canadian bargain (and if you want to ruffle Mr. T's feathers) - grab a bottle (or three) of the Alberta Premium - for $20.25 Cdn. Great value.

Otherwise, I could point you to a few spots in Vancouver if you like... more for drinking (like the Irish Heather)... Enjoy Western Canada.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:56 pm

I've done a bit of traveling through both the Calgary and Toronto airports. I found the duty free selection a little lite. I did get a great deal on a Crown Royal limited edition (good stuff). The nice thing about Calgary is there is a liquor store before you go through security called Cloud 9. It has a great selection of common and hard to find bottles. I didn't find it until the end of a 6 month stay and I wish I would have known earlier. I don't know if Toronto has the same thing or not. As far as other places in Canada I'm not sure.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Visit to Canada

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:12 pm

C_I:
I perceive that you will be flying into Toronto from Europe then on to Calgary then continuing on to points west somehow.
Two great ways of seeing Canada are 1) the train and 2) driving. I took the Canadian (CPR) through to Vancouver from Thunder Bay on our honeymoon, and the scenery and comfort was exceptional. Regretfully there are no more coast to coast passenger trains on the CPR trackage. There are websites where you can book onto The Rocky Mountaineer or alternately on the CNR through Northern Alberta/ B.C. but train travel is not cheap over here.
Renting a car and driving is also good, if you don't mind driving in mountains. The good thing is you can pull off the Trans Canada for photos, picnics or just to gaze in awe. It will take a couple of days to get through the mountains if you choose to drive. You can also fly but that's just cheating.
If you set out your basic itinerary, the Canadian forumers will be able to point you towards whatever is going on in their neck of the woods better.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Hello C_I,
Your trip to the Canadian Rockies sounds spectacular. I hope you have a great time on your vacation. In addition to the good advice already given to you, I would suggest looking into an Ontario whisky named, Forty Creek Whisky - Barrel Select and/or Three Grain. The website is http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com. For what it's worth, I quite enjoy Barrel Select. It is too bad that your time in Toronto is so short. There is a whisky bar quite close to the airport that I am sure a few of us could have taken you to. :(

Virginia Gentleman seeing that you are going to visit the Canadian Niagara Falls, you may want to also look into the Forty Creek Whisky website. The Distillery (which is also inpart "Kittling Ridge Estate Wines and Spirits) is in Grimbsy which is quite close to Niagara Falls. It might be a welcomed addition to your day trip to Ontario, Canada.

Happy trails,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:20 pm

CI, I live about 6 blocks away from where the Victoria whale watching starts, we should meet up, even if just to say hello. If you need any arangements made please let me know since I live here. It would be a shame for you to come all this way and for us not to meet.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:35 am

Virginia Gentleman wrote:In August I will be going to Niagra Falls and I am planning on going over to the Canadian side. Any duty free stores?

All of the land crossings have duty free stores, though I can't recommend one over another, but keep in mind that your customs exemption of one liter of spirits does not apply until you have been out of the country for at least 48 hours.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:43 am

Eliot is correct about the 48 hours, and they will ask how long you've been over. It's just as well to spend as much time as you can on the Canadian side, anyway--the best views are over there (aside from Goat Island), and the US side is pretty ratty. Make a trip down the parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake, often cited as the prettiest town in Canada. I think it would be a much nicer place to stay than Niagara Falls itself. Kittling Ridge/Forty Creek is about a half an hour further out the QEW (highway)--I've been there, and I'm not really sure it's worth a visit for a whisky fan. For what it's worth, their product is more like American whiskey (i.e. bourbon) than scotch. But if you are at all interested in wine, there are many good vineyards in the Niagara region.

The last time I went through the duty-free at the Rainbow Bridge, they had a few interesting things--Macallan and Caol Ila Cask Strengths, among others.
Deactivated Member

Postby JAL3 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:35 pm

lbacha wrote:I've done a bit of traveling through both the Calgary and Toronto airports. I found the duty free selection a little lite. I did get a great deal on a Crown Royal limited edition (good stuff). The nice thing about Calgary is there is a liquor store before you go through security called Cloud 9. It has a great selection of common and hard to find bottles. I didn't find it until the end of a 6 month stay and I wish I would have known earlier. I don't know if Toronto has the same thing or not. As far as other places in Canada I'm not sure.

Len

Hi Len, I'd posted a few months ago looking for similar information (not tax/duty-free, because I'm Canadian, but good places in the west for whisky). I can happily say that Cloud 9 has a pretty good selection, and fantastic prices -- I bought my first bottle of Ardbeg 10 (newbie!) there for $52.99 Canadian, with no sales tax. That compares very favourably with prices in Ontario and BC, certainly.
JAL3

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder