Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How Much Water Do You Add To A Cask Strength Bottle?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How Much Water Do You Add To A Cask Strength Bottle?

Postby sydfan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:39 pm

I bought a bottle of Bowmore cask strength today, and I understand that you are supposed to add water to it it. Does anyone have any idea how much water I'm supposed to add? Let's say I'm drinking a glass with two shots in it. I tried searching for something in the forum but was unable to come up with anything .
sydfan

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:48 pm

Whatever suits you Syd! Try with water and see if the whisky benefits from it or not. There's no right or wrong - just what is right for you!
Some say the whisky is best appreciated with water to bring out more scents and tastes - maybe nuances. Others claim it's best undiluted to appreciate the whisky as it was made to be. Try for yourself and tell us what you think?

Welcome to the forum!

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:57 pm

If you look at the top of the forum index page, you will see a link for FAQs. Follow that, scroll down a way, and you will find a whole section on adding water to whisky. But I'll save you some trouble...the short answer is that you should put in as much water as seems right to you. You will find all kinds of recommendations--the blurb on the Rare Malts bottlings suggests two parts water to one of whisky, which everyone here thinks is insane--but the bottom line is that it is a matter of personal taste. When I started drinking malts, I watered all of them, cask strength or not, to cut the alcoholic burn. Now I very rarely water any whisky, even cask strength ones. Many folks will tell you that adding water will "open up" the whisky, particularly to the nose. To be honest, I still don't really know what that means. I only get dilution. But then again, I have no nose. ("How does he smell?" "Terrible!" Ha ha.) Some here have said that they dilute for nosing, but drink uncut. Experiment, a few drops at a time, and figure out for yourself what you like. After you've been doing this for a while and have settled into your own habits, shake yourself up and experiment again. Your perceptions will change a lot over time.

Welcome to the forum. You have a fascinating lifelong journey ahead of you!
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby nicholtl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Yes, welcome!

I personally like to drop in one custom watered-down ice-cube so that it adds just the right amount of chill and "dilution."
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:00 pm

...And the name we have for those who use ice is "heathen"! :wink: But to each his own.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:04 am

Welcome to the forum Sydfan. I think that you will find the need for water in your whisky if any may well vary day to day. Somedays it may taste as if it could use some, then again the same whisky on a different day may need more or not at all.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:07 am

Add water as suits your tastes. I initially added a few drops to some cask strenghts as I found the alcohol "bite" a bit harsh. However, I quickly grew accustomed to it and no longer needed to dilute them. I've seen enough notes from those who do add water and describe some changes in aroma and flavor that I do occasionally put a drop or two in.

And welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby sydfan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks guys. I was afraid the answer would be "add to suit your taste" and, well, that's the answer, I guess. I drink my regular malts with a dash of water, as I've found that it seems, to me anyway that it does brighten the flavour. This is my first taste of a cask strength. So I suppose I'll add a dash and see how it goes. I fill you guys in tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
sydfan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:02 pm

I personally very rarely add water at all as that is the way I like it. I like to be able to chew my whiskey :wink: But I do find some CS need a bit of water even for me.

As said do your own thing and see how you get on... it's trial and error. However remember getting into the habit of adding the same amount of water to every whiskey may not be the best thing. Might be an idea to experiment even with your regular strength whiskies again and see how you get on.....

Enjoy and welcome...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lexvo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:18 pm

Well, the others explained it already very well.

I had a Lagavulin CS some weeks ago, which was my first CS whisky also. I tried it with and without water and liked it both, however I think I prefer some water.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby sydfan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:29 pm

Very good fellas. I will add a bit of water. Now, which one??!!!

:lol:
sydfan

Postby Aidan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 pm

Try it without water, try it with a drop of water, try it with two drops.... and then pick the one you like the most.
Aidan

Postby scoobypl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 am

sydfan wrote:Very good fellas. I will add a bit of water. Now, which one??!!!

:lol:

Any not-chlorinated, low mineral content water will do...
scoobypl

Postby sydfan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:21 pm

So, Bowmore definately has a lot of Islay character to it! I wasn't quite prepared for what it was! I actually added what seems to me a lot of water. It was pretty sharp at first, but a little water mellowed it quite a bit. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out how much water to use. I'm a whisky rookie. I have a lot to learn yet! Anyhow, thanks for your help!!!

:)
sydfan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:25 pm

sydfan wrote: It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out how much water to use. I'm a whisky rookie. I have a lot to learn yet! Anyhow, thanks for your help!!!

:)

As you get used to whisky in general you may find that you can appreciate the bigger islays (and the like) with less and less water as you develope a taste for them, like I did, I'm no long at dramming Islay's either. Good luck with your experimenting .... :wink: All whiskey is good :)
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder