Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 21 PortWood packaging

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie 21 PortWood packaging

Postby PuckJunkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:10 am

I came across Balvenie 21 in a store today for far less than the usual price - about $90 USD, when typically it's $125 or more - and the packaging was a presentation box instead of the usual tube I've seen. Is this older packaging? Anyone seen this before?

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:03 am

That sounds a little strange; The tube is the "old" packaging - the presentation box is the new one, which is supposed to be repositioned as a premium bottling, in other words, becoming more expensive....

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:29 am

PuckJunkie wrote:I came across Balvenie 21 in a store today for far less than the usual price - about $90 USD, when typically it's $125 or more - and the packaging was a presentation box instead of the usual tube I've seen. Is this older packaging? Anyone seen this before?

Puck

Jan wrote:That sounds a little strange; The tube is the "old" packaging - the presentation box is the new one, which is supposed to be repositioned as a premium bottling, in other words, becoming more expensive....

Cheers
Jan

Looks like some one made a boo boo ... quick go buy it before they realise their mistake ....
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:51 pm

Yes, that is the new "heavy cardboard" box with the latch on it. I saw them side by side recently and the store owner verified the new one. Indeed, grab it for that price. I still run across a few that are not marked up yet. It seems unfair to charge the new price for the old tube. I thought the box was going to be the wooden one like the 25 has, but was mildly disappointed by the one released. The contents are whats important, and I assume that hasn't changed. I stocked up when I heard about the increase, so it will be awhile before I find out. I did find the new Balvenie 17yo New Wood that same day so all is good. :wink: Anyone seen it in quantity yet? They just had the one bottle I bought in stock and being a limited release, I'd like to have a backup if it turns out nice (as yet unopened).
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:37 pm

How bizarre. The crazy thing is that this place is a small, cheap, discount liquor store and their whisky selection is horrible. What is there has mostly been sitting on the shelves for five years or more - this is where I found the Ardbeg 17 sitting around forgotten (it's gone now :)). I figured they had older bottles at older prices... not newer bottles at strangely low prices.

I'll have to pick up a bottle or two. They had three or four.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder