Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillation

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Distillation

Postby Frederick C. Lindgren » Mon Apr 23, 2001 2:23 am

I am trying to find books about the history of distilling alcoholic beverages. So far I've only been able to come up with an out of print book A SHORT HISTORY OF DISTILLATION FROM THE BEGINNINGS UP TO THE DEATH OF CELLIER BLUMENTHAL by Robert J. Forbes. There are no copies available. Can any whisky drinkers out there help me by recommending a decent bibliography on the subject. Thanks,
Fred
Frederick C. Lindgren

Postby lexkraai » Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:19 am

Hi Frederick

Here a few more references from my whisky library:

Benn G, 1858. On the early use of aqua-vitae in Ireland. Ulster Journal of Archaeology VI: 283-293.
Carruthers E, 1859. On the antiquity of brewing and distillation in Ireland. Ulster Journal of Archaeology VII: 33-40.
Harper WT, 1999. Origins and Rise of the British Distillery. The Edwin Mellen Press, Ontario.
Needham J, 1980. Distillation and Extraction Apparatus. In: Science and Civilization in China. Vol 5, part 4, pp 55-121. Cambridge University Press.
Needham J, 1980. The Coming of Ardent Water. In: Science and Civilization in China. Vol 5, part 4, pp 121-162. Cambridge University Press.
Pokhlebkin W, 1992. A History of Vodka. Verso, London.
Scott-Moncrieff R, 1916. The early use of aqua vitae in Scotland. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland L: 257-266.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:45 am

To start, you might enjoy having a look at entry for "distilled spirit" at www.britannica.com

Also, for some interesting theories (not backed up by refs, sadly!), have a wee look at www.ginvodka.org/history/originvodka.html

Still looking for a decent bibliography.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Frederick C. Lindgren » Tue May 08, 2001 6:21 am

Thanks to Lex and Iain,
I've not got time to spend on researching about whisky. The book recommended to me is "A Handbook of the Scottish Gaelic World" by Michael Newton. Supposedly, an in-depth portrait of the Gaelic society that flourished in Scotland until the Reformation, including the rich tradition of poetry and oral history, the organization of clans and kinship, and notions of honor. An essential resource for students of Scottish culture. Am interested in your opinion about Talisker, I really enjoy it, what do you think?

Thanks again,
Fred
Frederick C. Lindgren

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder