Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Summerdram ?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Summerdram ?

Postby Dubois » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:22 pm

Do you believe there is a typical "Summerdram" ?
If you do,which one(s) ?

I believe there are.
Just to name two : Dalwhinnie 15 Yrs and Bruichladdich 10 Yrs.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:38 pm

Here we go again :D I agree with your choices....Cragganmore 12 may also be a choice. Little different in flavor but still light enough.
Last edited by pouranother on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:00 pm

I think whisky isn't really a drink for very hot weather. Actually, hot sunny days are a good time to discover rose wine. Honest.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Don't really differentiate my whiskies by the weather...

If I feel like it I'll drink it ... but then again we do no really get oppressive heat over here so it's not really an issue.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:39 pm

No summer drams, I just tend to add a drop more water during the hotter months.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:12 pm

My summer drams are Ardbeg Very Young, Balvenie PortWood, Bruichladdich Links Turnberry, Bruichladdich "The Tonga Valinch", Cadenheads Clynelish 12, Glenrothes 1992, Highland Park 25, and Signatory Vintage Islay 5yo cs...because that's what I happen to have open. If my turnover were fast enough to actually plan for seasonal drinking, I suppose I'd choose to have a Bruichladdich 10, Scapa 14, some Rosebank or other, and a nice calvados.

On a warm, sweaty evening last week, I had a Lagavulin 16, just because it was there. So I guess I really don't think that way. I tend to agree that I am less inclined to drink whisky at all in hot weather, but, judging from my intake the past few weeks, not that much less inclined.
Deactivated Member

Summer dram

Postby dram_time » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:32 pm

For me it would have to be something light, fresh and fairly uncomplicated.

Scapa
Balblair (one of the younger ones)
Old Pulteney 12

But the ultimate choice would be a tall glass of Ricard with lots and lots of water and a touch of ice !!

Haven't seen a bottle of Ricard for ages??? is it still available in Scotland??

Dt
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm inclined to go with the initial choices of Bruichladdich 10/12 or Dalwhinnie 15. Unfortunately I usually drink whisky only in the weekends but even wood infused bourbon like the Noah's Mill works on warm summer evenings. I allow myself more slack in the vacation and have had ales or beers every day. Works fine too. When I open one of my Laphroaigs I'll even try Lawrence's tip and add a little lime juice.

Christian
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Bulldog » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:13 pm

i think if it's good in winter it's good in the summer.
only if the whisky isn't stored in a cool place on hot days it's not that enjoyable as in winter
Bulldog

Postby pouranother » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:..When I open one of my Laphroaigs I'll even try Lawrence's tip and add a little lime juice.

Christian

I'm intrigued...do elaborate.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:51 pm

I have no particular summerdram - like TH and others, I dram from what I have open at the moment.

This summer this has included; Springbank, Ardmore, HP, Cragganmore, Bruichladdich, Glenlivet, Bowmore, Ardbeg, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie etc.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:57 pm

Last summer, although mostly lousy up here, I enjoyed the Bladnoch Flora and Fauna, very nice, light, cerealy, mandarin, perfect. This summer the weather has been great so far, so I'm not drinking so much whisky, haven't zeroed in one I'd call perfect for summer yet. I agree though, that Bruichladdich 10y is a great choice!
Di Blasi

Postby lexvo » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 pm

I think Glenmorangie 10Y is a very nice summerdram. With its fresh/citrus nose and taste, together with some sweet/vanilla makes it a very nice dram to drink, especially in warm weather.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:22 am

pouranother wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:..When I open one of my Laphroaigs I'll even try Lawrence's tip and add a little lime juice.

Christian

I'm intrigued...do elaborate.

If I may, if it's really hot out, pour measure or two of Laphroaig 10, some ice ( and maybe a bit of water) and some ( to taste) Rose's Lime Cordial but not too much, don't over power the whisky, just enough to add a little zing. It's very refreshing.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Scotchio » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Laddie, Rosebank, Glenmorangie 10,Longrow 10 if I want a little peat, Talisker on ice is good at dusk. Not supping much at present though. Erdinger wheat beer if anything
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Scotchio wrote: Erdinger wheat beer if anything

I wonder if there's anything better on a warm summers day than a wheatbeer?

.........although I'm about to drink a "Famous Taddy Porter" from Samuel Smith.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Apparently the late Queen Elizabeth drank dubonnet and gin every morning. I tried it last night because I thought it sounded quite good for the summer. I have to say now, having tried it, if that's what I had to look forward to every day when I got up, I would stay in bed!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:35 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Apparently the late Queen Elizabeth drank dubonnet and gin every morning. I tried it last night because I thought it sounded quite good for the summer. I have to say now, having tried it, if that's what I had to look forward to every day when I got up, I would stay in bed!

I've always thought of and enjoyed gin and tonic as a near perfect drink on a very hot summer day, patio, poolside.
Gin and Dubonnet strikes me as sweet and heavy, maybe cough-syrup would taste better kinda drink.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:48 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I wonder if there's anything better on a warm summers day than a wheatbeer?

.........although I'm about to drink a "Famous Taddy Porter" from Samuel Smith.

Christian

Ah, Sam Smith...marketed abroad as a high-priced prestige beer. It is by far the cheapest beer in Yorkshire, and justly so. Christian, you must make the jump across the North Sea and get yourself a proper pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord!
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 am

Mmmm, wheat beer. Can't knock that choice. My personal favourites for the summer are Unibroue Ephemere (this year, Green Apple and Raspberry) and Macauslan's Apricot Wheat. Whatever them folks in Montreal are doing these days is working.

On the tequila front, Don Eduardo for something light and flowery, Herradura Anejo or Chinaco for a full-bodied blast of agave.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:32 am

Those are two fine breweries, monkey, maybe the best two in all of Canada. But I'm afraid I prefer my beer straight. There's a bit of wheat in MacAuslan's St-Ambroise Pale Ale; that's as fancy as I care to get.

But you know, I just might be tempted by that Ephemere....
Deactivated Member

Postby Duffer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:No summer drams, I just tend to add a drop more water during the hotter months.

Agree - and I usually drink whisky just before bedtime... when its not so hot :wink:
Duffer

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:15 am

double post
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:32 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Ah, Sam Smith...marketed abroad as a high-priced prestige beer. It is by far the cheapest beer in Yorkshire, and justly so.

Still, it's an alright porter - although one can find better ones out there. In general however, just think about how lucky beer drinkers are compared to wine drinkers? Have you ever seen a "high end beer/ale" go for silly prices like a Château Margaux?
Christian, you must make the jump across the North Sea and get yourself a proper pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord!

I'd love to but Copenhagen is up next I think. I'm very curious about the two ales you've spoken so well about: Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Deuchars IPA. Do anyof you danish guys know if it's possible to get these in Denmark?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Frodo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Badmonkey wrote:...On the tequila front, Don Eduardo for something light and flowery, Herradura Anejo or Chinaco for a full-bodied blast of agave.

Wow!! Someone's been into tequila!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:51 am

Honestly, I don't think there is any finer a summer spirit than a high quality tequila. A few of Alberta's better shops have started to bring top-shelf brands like Patron, 4 Copas, Tres Generacions, Herradura, and so on, but tequila remains woefully underappreciated in Canada.

I see Murray McDavid is bottling rums from Antigua, Venezuela, Trinidad, and other locales. Has anyone had a chance to try them?
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder