Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does anybody drink Glenfiddich?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Does anybody drink Glenfiddich?

Postby pouranother » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 pm

I was wondering if anybody on this board actually drinks Glenfiddich. I'm thinking about buying a bottle of Solera Reserve 15. The tasting notes sound good and when I offer somebody a "Scotch" at least they might be familiar with the name. Instead of getting a look like "what the **** is that?" when I give them my selections.

Any thoughts on the 15 or any other would be appreciated.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Glenfiddich

Postby dram_time » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Hello pouranother,

Glenfiddich, to me is one of 'those' whisky’s (malts and blends) that I don't think about. They are so popular and easy to find that I generally over look them in favour of something a little more outside of the mainstream. Others would be…..Bells…Teachers….Glenmorangie etc..etc..

The last time I had a Glenfiddich must be about ten years ago !!! got a Caoran Reserve on the shelf, but haven’t opened it yet.

“Note to self…try a Glenfiddich again soon.”

Dt
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Didn't have a high opinion about Glenfiddich untill I tried lately the 15 & 18 Yrs expression,and I have to admit it is quite good,especially the 18 Yrs is a dram I can recommend.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:23 pm

I've quite liked 'fiddich 12 as a nice quiet dram. Worth the $$ IMO. Not bothered about having it around because I can always get some at a bar, and I am still on my journey at home trying new expressions or distilleries. Usually order it when the selection is poor at a bar/pub.

Had the 15 (not bad) and the 21 (not great value) and the 30 (great, but not $300 great).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:23 pm

There has been a lot of talk on the board about the 15 and 18, mostly very favorable. For many the 15 is the favorite 'Fiddich.

I thought the Caoran was bloody awful--I think it's the only bottle I never finished. But again, some others here have spoken well of it.

When I started out, I eschewed all malts with names starting with Glen. :shock: (Except Glen Googly, of course!) Took me a long time to get over that prejudice.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:50 am

Yes, the 15 is very good and the 18 is even better. The 15 is a good choice and it's drinkable and moreish. Good choice.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:14 am

All I remember about it the last time I tasted it was sweeeeet! Very. But why not offer your guests something they won't find on every friend's shelf or in every bar??
Di Blasi

Postby pouranother » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:51 am

Di Blasi wrote:All I remember about it the last time I tasted it was sweeeeet! Very. But why not offer your guests something they won't find on every friend's shelf or in every bar??

That's the problem. I have a modest selection of malts (13) that does not include a Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, and when I offer, they actually look afraid to accept :? People who are unfamiliar to SMS seem assume that those 2('fiddich and 'livet) as well as the "Walker family blends" are the best and all others are second class. My thought is that, at least, if I get an expression other than the 12 year old guest may then begin to see the differences in SMS. I also think I need a bottle for therapy reasons. I seem to have a disposition that because they are popular, they are inferior.

Out of curiousity, who owns a 'Fiddich or 'Livet?
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:42 am

Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve and Glenfiddich 18 are, in my view, excellent malts. I have the 12, 15, and 18 at the ready for curious guests, and to date no one has been disappointed in the latter two. I must admit that the 12 is not a particularly exciting whisky; at least it's not expensive.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:40 am

I'm going to France next week and I know prices are cheaper there. If I find any older expressions of Glenfiddich at good prices, definitely they'll be coming home with me.
les taylor

Postby Thomas H. » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:58 am

My 2 cents.....

There really isn't anything wrong with Glenfiddich. The Solera is quite a nice dram really, should appeal to most.

The problem is, it's a little simple. It has a nice nose, a nice palate, but it doesn't have anything that makes it really unique. And that's the same reason it's so popular, like the more mainstream blends. It's very accesible. Easy drinking, is what I'm looking for I guess.

And I guess that's why, I'm thinking, pouranother would like some in his collection. Not everyone is willing to go of the beaten path and try something different, so it's nice to have something familiar to offer to your guests.
Thomas H.

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:52 am

I am very fond of Glenfiddich and I would recommend any of their lines except the Cuban Rum finish, which didn't really appeal. The Solera Reserve is superb and really quite complex. The basic theme with the Glenfiddichs up to 30yo is sweet, malty, fruity (melons, some orange in the younger ones), varying degrees of bourbon (vanilla) or sherry wood, very light smokiness in the background. With imagination, you can get some white chocolate and honey. I think Glenfiddich is a class act.
Deactivated Member

Postby toshie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:57 pm

What power this forum has. Tonight I'll pour myself a generous helping of the Solera 15 . Mibbe even the 18
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:28 pm

toshie wrote:What power this forum has...

Amen to that! If I bought everything that has been highly recommended and raved about, I'd be broke, drunk...and happy.

After starting this thread to get some input on the Solera, I've come across about 5 other malts that I'd like to try, that I'm sure my confederates have not heard of

P.S.
My wife is considering having this site child blocked. :wink:
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby thehighking » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:52 pm

I have to say that I really enjoy the 'fiddich as a whole.

The standard 12 year old is really mediocre and I'm not at all a fan of it, but everything else I've had (the 15, 18, and 30) were also absolutely world class drams.

The 30 in my opinion was very tasty, but had a little bitterness to it because of the wood flavor. Overall, I think it's a really great whisky that doesn't find expression in the typical 12 at all.

Also, I think the Glenlivet is a fine whisky, too. Including the 12...and the 15 year old French oak is absolutely fantastic. The older Glenfiddich tends to be more complex than the older Glenlivet, but the younger Glenlivet is much more drinkable than the younger Glenfiddich (all IMNSHO.)
thehighking

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I am very fond of Glenfiddich and I would recommend any of their lines except the Cuban Rum finish, which didn't really appeal. The Solera Reserve is superb and really quite complex. The basic theme with the Glenfiddichs up to 30yo is sweet, malty, fruity (melons, some orange in the younger ones), varying degrees of bourbon (vanilla) or sherry wood, very light smokiness in the background. With imagination, you can get some white chocolate and honey. I think Glenfiddich is a class act.

Well said! I particularly agree with you last sentance.

Lawrence

I enjoyed the Glenfiddich 15 last night and Friday night greatly and only pulled it from the back of the cupboard because of this thread.

Thank you.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby lexvo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:54 pm

IMHO, the 15Y is a nice whisky but not that special. The 18Y is a good whisky, worth buying a bottle. I wasn't that impressed with the 12Y (though it is certainly not bad).
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:09 am

My favourite is the 18yo, but the 15yo is very good also. I think you'll find most people rate the 18yo and 15yo highly, with the 15yo usually coming out on top.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:11 am

I have drunk only Glenfiddich 12 yo and I think 12 years are still few for this brand.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby WHISKYNOSE » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:50 am

laphroaig10_65 wrote:I have drunk only Glenfiddich 12 yo and I think 12 years are still few for this brand.
Bye
Luca

Lately they handed me an 18y as a gift. The normal "fiddich" is a to weak a taste to me, but the 18y i found really grant !!!!
WHISKYNOSE

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:55 am

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi there,

even it come from conditioned casks and it leaves a taste of cheating, the Glenfiddich Gran Reserva 21 years is a very good whisky. I have heard the opinion being stated that it is the best Glenfiddich on the market at the moment.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Photon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:34 pm

WHISKYNOSE wrote:
laphroaig10_65 wrote:I have drunk only Glenfiddich 12 yo and I think 12 years are still few for this brand.
Bye
Luca

Lately they handed me an 18y as a gift. The normal "fiddich" is a to weak a taste to me, but the 18y i found really grant !!!!
...................................................................................................................................................................... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

I assume the pun is unintentional, but I enjoyed it nonetheless :lol:

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:03 pm

I think glenfiddich is a great pub or social dram. Not very exciting but very enjoyable. Just a good anytime dram. However I've only had 12yo & 18yo.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Bullie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am

It feels like Glenfiddich is a dram made for the masses, at least the 12yo. Not that exciting and quite bland. The best Glenfiddich I've tasted is the 30 yo, but for the price they charge for a bottle, it's not worth the money. I'd rather spend my money on a bottle with some bang for the buck...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:31 pm

I think it is hugely unfair to dismiss Glenfiddich 12 as a bland dram for the masses, just because it has high sales.

OK, it is not heavily peated. OK, it is not heavily sherried. But it has a wonderful and complex fruitiness on top of sweet malt. At other ages, Glenfidddich achieves really good variation through different balances of bourbon and sherry wood.

If you take time, a Glencairn glass, and miniatures of the 12, 15 and 18 you will see that Glenfiddich is far from a "pub" dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:55 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I think it is hugely unfair to dismiss Glenfiddich 12 as a bland dram for the masses, just because it has high sales.

OK, it is not heavily peated. OK, it is not heavily sherried. But it has a wonderful and complex fruitiness on top of sweet malt. At other ages, Glenfidddich achieves really good variation through different balances of bourbon and sherry wood.

If you take time, a Glencairn glass, and miniatures of the 12, 15 and 18 you will see that Glenfiddich is far from a "pub" dram.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it was just my personal reflection over GF.

And still, I've compared (in Glencairn-glasses) Glenfiddich 12, 18 and Caoran head to head with Highland Park 12, 18 and 25 (and other brands as well), and the result was devostating for Glenfiddich. It was, compared to HP just what I wrote earlier 'an unexciting and somewhat bland' dram.

And I do think that the massive sales of Glenfiddich 12yo is somewhat related to the fact that it isn't that massive in taste and nose, and in that way can be a bridge from blends to more intesive tasting single malts. But it's not because of the sales that I mean it's a dram for the masses. That point of view is based on the more mellow and not so intense taste.

I don't say it's a poor dram, but if you want bang for the buck, Glenfiddich might not be the best choice...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:08 pm

I take it as read that people are giving their personal views. That's all I ever give!

HP is certainly a strongly flavoured dram of exceptional quality. It has a reasonably high peating level and is (I presume) matured in sherry. It sets out to be an "island" malt and it succeeds.

I know some people just don't seem to pick up on fruity, malty or floral flavours. (Their loss). To me, they are as strong and resonant as daylight.

Nick
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Most of the views are Steve McQueen's.

Steve doesn't like Glenfiddich, except the Solera Reserve. That said, I, I mean Steve, hasn't had too many Glenfiddich expressions.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Everyone has likes and dislikes.
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the 12yo. Sure, I prefer the 15 and 18 like most seem to, but I wouldn't refuse a 12yo - particularly if it is bought for me.
:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Arebee » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:40 pm

I too overlooked the Glenfiddich malts due to their overwhelming availability. But I took a flyer on the 15 Solera Reserve and was pleasantly surprised. Sweet flavors of chocolate, vanilla and honey, and a crisp creamy finish with just a hint of peat smoke. I found it to be a very nice warm weather whisky. A nice change-up to the Islays that I love so much when the weather is cool or rainy.
Arebee

Glens Fiddich and Livet

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm

pouranother wrote: ...Out of curiousity, who owns a 'Fiddich or 'Livet?
Me, pick me! :D
This is my selection in the lair:
GLENFIDDICH SOLERA no age
GLENFIDDICH 12 yo
GLENFIDDICH Ancient Reserve 18 yo
GLENFIDDICH Havana Reserve 21 yo
GLENLIVET, THE 12 yo
GLENLIVET, THE Fr. Lmousin Oak 12 yo
Regretfully my Glenfiddich CS from the 80's was just drained of the last of it's lifeblood so I'm down to 4.
I enjoy the 12yo 'Fiddich and the 'Livet as gentle drams, what Frodo refers to as a sessional dram. When I don't want to rock my senses and just enjoy a dram I'll reach for either of them.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:23 am

I had my first Glenlivet 12 last week-end and I was not overly impressed. A kind of slight bourbony taste but in a scotch which does not do it for me if you can get my drift. I can handle the bourbon sweetness in a bourbon but feel it is out of place in a scotch. Probably need to give it another go though to be definitive about it, not fair really othre wise. Where as I think the fiddich 12 is a great session dram :D
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Thomas H. » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Had a dram of Glenfiddich 12 year yesterday, en went a little deeper into it then I would normally do.
I'm not gonna write an extensive N&T note now, but let's just say I was pleasently surprised. Soft sweet notes, with some cacao/chocolate and liqorice (spelling?) and something we call sweetwood. Stick of wood you can suck on, an ingredient for liqorice (again, spelling?).

Not a bad dram for a night in the pub or with a few mates during a movie or something.
Thomas H.

Postby Thomas H. » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Had a dram of Glenfiddich 12 year yesterday, en went a little deeper into it then I would normally do.
I'm not gonna write an extensive N&T note now, but let's just say I was pleasently surprised. Soft sweet notes, with some cacao/chocolate and liqorice (spelling?) and something we call sweetwood. Stick of wood you can suck on, an ingredient for liqorice (again, spelling?).

Not a bad dram for a night in the pub or with a few mates during a movie or something.
Thomas H.

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder