Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Turner

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glen Turner

Postby DramMeister » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:15 pm

I accidently purchased a bottle of Glen Turner 12yr malt whisky for a friend. He's not too impressed, although he hasn't opened yet. It was only £12 from a french supermarket.
It claims to be a Highland malt and does not appear in any of my whisky books. Does anyone have an idea what this whisky might be?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:50 am

Glen Turner is, AFAIK, a malt whisky (Pure Malt) made by the French company La Martiniquaise. What exactly goes in to it is known only to the company. The contents would anyway change depending on which distillers are willing to sell them whisky.

Glen Turner is France's bestselling malt.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks SoS
I've just checked. It says it is a single highland malt. I know the younger Glen Turner is a pure malt.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:37 pm

Could be a new product they came out with after relocating the bussiness to Scotland a few years back.

The contents will still change from batch to batch, as a constant supply of whisky with the same taste from one distillery is impossible for an independant operator.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:59 am

Hi there,

I can not say what is in the bottle but it could be anything since La Martiniquaise moved operations from France to Scotland in 2004.

http://www.whiskyportal.com/distillery. ... ng+Company

http://production.investis.com/bbeatty/ ... -01-22.pdf

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Scottie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:00 am

Its also widely available in Spain.
Scottie

Glen Turner Distillery

Postby tal82 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am

i know this thread is old but thought i'd bring it up as i drove past the Glen Turner distillery last week and have been fasinated at how it is not mentioned in any whisky books. I came across this website, which i think you'll find interesting, that tells you all about the single malt (8, 12, and 18 yr olds) and the blend its put into, Label 5.

http://www.luding.ru/en/range_of_produc ... lenTurner/

hope this helps
Natalia
tal82

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:38 am

there isnt a "glen turner" distillery.

they have a bottling plant at starlaw ind est in livingston, glen turner is a company that buys casks and then bottles them under there own livery.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:11 am

Natalia,

Sorry to say, Vitara7 is 110% correct on this one. Big brand in 1/2 european markets but the liquid will be whatever the company purchases on the market.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:53 am

Hi there,

I do not think that there is a actual distillery named Glen Turner. It would be interesting to know where you did come across what you describe as Glen Turner distillery.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:20 am

Interestingly I bought a bottle of this last August on holiday in the dordogne. I happened to open it last weekend. Its not that impressive. Its labeled as pure malt. Distilled in scotland under british government supervision. If anyone fancies a dram this is one of those open house bottles. Hopefully it won't last too long taking up good shelf space.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Glen Turner Distillery

Postby Wendy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:35 pm

tal82 wrote:i know this thread is old but thought i'd bring it up as i drove past the Glen Turner distillery last week and have been fasinated at how it is not mentioned in any whisky books. I came across this website, which i think you'll find interesting, that tells you all about the single malt (8, 12, and 18 yr olds) and the blend its put into, Label 5.

http://www.luding.ru/en/range_of_produc ... lenTurner/

hope this helps
Natalia

miscellaneous info.: I bought a little chocolate liquer the other day that was filled with Label 5. I had never heard of Label 5 before and had been wondering about it. As a little sweet treat to go with my coffee, it hit the spot. Thanks Natalia, I will check out the website.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Re: Glen Turner

Postby KrazeyLady » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:45 pm

I know I'm YEARS out of time, but I just joined and have found this.

http://www.westlothiancourier.co.uk/wes ... _page.html

So - a Glen Turner Distillery does exist.

K.L. :)
KrazeyLady

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi there,

nope it doesn`t. Glen Turner Distillery Ltd. is a misnomer for the bottling plant of La Martiniquaise at Bathgate.

The plans for a new distillery there will probably never be realised as La Martiniquaise has bought Glen Mory Distillery in Speyside in the meantime.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby The Colonel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Actually the distillery has been in place for a couple of years now.

From where I work I can smell the malting when the wind's in the right direction and its heavenly. However the 8; 10; and 12 year old single malts are from a separate highland supplier.
The Colonel

Postby MacDeffe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:56 pm

It's a grain distillery and its built behind the "Glen Turner" Buildings

The name of the distillery is Starlaw

Glen Turner is the bottling and blending facility, owned by La Martiniquaise and they are making the Glen Turner bastaqrd malt there and probably others as well

La Martiniquaise owns Glen Moray, so that's probably a substantial part of their blends

I positioned the distillery on my google maps of distilleries

http://bit.ly/cgpHsX

It's near Livingston, just west of Edinburgh and south of Linlithgow

You need to go to streetview to see it, the aeroplane photos show just a bare field

At the time of photography it looks like they are putting up the distillery at the back to the right of the entrance

One fun thing is that google for some reason have blurred out "distillery" on the entrance sighns but not Glen Turner nor Starlaw :-)

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder