Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Irish Distilleries

All your whisky related questions answered here.

New Irish Distilleries

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:36 am

I have heard it a few times before, but apparently, John Teeling is still planning to fire up the Kilbeggan Distillery again and make traditional pure pot still whiskey before the end of the decade. This distillery is still powered by a waterwheel and is still in working order. They have the stills from the old Tullamore distillery. The whiskey will be triple distilled.

There was also a project called the Coola Mills distillery. They distributed literature about the plan and had a website, which has now disappeared.

And then there's the Cloonaughill distillery project, headed by Rionnan Walsh. I have no idea what has happened to this project. I've tried to find out, without success. Does anyone else know anything?

Anyway, there were to set up in Galway or Donegal, I think, and produce malt whiskey.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29 am

Hi there,

hello Aidan, you are right, there is nothing newer than 2005 concerning both distillery projects on the net at the moment.

http://www.cooleywhiskey.com/_news/erin_e13.pdf

the last paragraph thereof was the newest I could find.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am

And the Willbrook site is still just a holding site.... I fear all these projects are suffering from under investment which in one sense is strange due to the amount of money in Ireland at the moment but I suppose then again not ..... as people have to wait circa 10 years before they see their investment mature...

A pity I don't have a bundle o cash to get one of these started :(
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Well hopefully these projects aren't dead in the water, but who knows. I believe the Kilbeggan one will still happen. Actually, this would be the one I'd be most excited about.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Aidan wrote:Well hopefully these projects aren't dead in the water, but who knows. I believe the Kilbeggan one will still happen. Actually, this would be the one I'd be most excited about.

Oh of course the Kilbeggan is definitely going ahead alright, just as you say a matter of time with Cooley and I too can't wait. More pure pot still to the market is never a bad think :)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:33 pm

...and hopefully they'll use oats in the mash. I look forward to tasting their first 30 yr old...
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 pm

Aidan wrote:...and hopefully they'll use oats in the mash. I look forward to tasting their first 30 yr old...

Stop I'm drooling at the thought already.

That would make a nice grand fathers day present from your grand children :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder