Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Michael Collins Irish Whiskey

General chat and talk about whisky.

Michael Collins Irish Whiskey

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:07 pm

After a successful release in the US I saw this in the Irish Independant today. Looks like I'll get a chance to try this after all. Both a blend and single malt available.

A US spirit company is to start selling Michael Collins-branded whiskey here from next month.

The whiskey, which has sold 120,000 bottles Stateside since it was launched in March, is produced by Ireland's last remaining independent whiskey maker, Cooley Distillery, which supplies to Sidney Frank Importing, a New York-based company which owns and markets the drink.

Sold in an original blend and a single malt, the especially long whiskey bottles are branded with the signature of Collins from the 1921 Treaty.

The idea for the whiskey came from late American billionaire Sidney Frank who read Tim Pat Coogan's book on Collins and used the author as a consultant on the project.

Once listed as the 185th richest man in America, Frank made his fortune through the promotion of Grey Goose vodka and Jagermeister.

Brand manager for Sidney Frank Importing, Abaigeal Hendron, said the company would be aiming to sell the whiskey to 21 to 35-year-olds in "style bars, hotels and restaurants in major urban areas".

So far, 20,000 cases, each containing six bottles, have been sold in the US since March. There has been a recent resurgence in Irish whiskey consumption in the US.

The 700ml bottles will be priced at €34.95 for the original blend and €49.99 for the single malt. It will be distributed in Ireland by Brinkman Beverages from Blackrock in Co Dublin.

Ms Hendron said the company had sales projections of between 3,000 and 6,000 bottles of the whiskey by the end of the year.

Before his death, Mr Frank wanted to develop a brand of whiskey which would challenge the traditional Scotch, Canadian and American drinks.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:49 pm

There was a review of the blend in the last whiskymag, and it was reviewed very favorable by one reviewer, giving it ninepointsomethingorother.

I think it is a bit overpriced for a youngish malt. I'll be buying some, though.
Aidan

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:23 pm

I have an extensive interview on the Michael Collins malts with the guys from Cooley (which makes the malts) in the March 17 episode of the show...I've also tasted both versions, and found them to be pretty good. (Tasting notes elsewhere on the site).

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 am

Cheers Mark, Much Appreciated.

It's always very exciting for us to see a new Irish in town :D

But as you say Aidan it is quite expensive :(
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Elliot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Those prices are outrageous. Even here in Ohio, the single malt will run you less than $45.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:48 am

it will probably be cheaper to have them posted from the U.S., quite a round trip.
Aidan

Postby PuckJunkie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Elliot wrote:Those prices are outrageous. Even here in Ohio, the single malt will run you less than $45.

Agreed. The blend is something like $30-35 USD here - and that's for a 750ml, not a 700.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 am

PuckJunkie wrote:
Elliot wrote:Those prices are outrageous. Even here in Ohio, the single malt will run you less than $45.

Agreed. The blend is something like $30-35 USD here - and that's for a 750ml, not a 700.

Puck

$45.00 = €35.00 so ye are paying over in the states for the Malt what we will be paying for the blend. But that is not un-usual here in Ireland with excise and VAT (tax) to be paid. Also standard bottle size is 700ml in Europe.

Screwed both ways :cry:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:30 am

Yes, but Michael Collins dies at Béal na mBláth so this whiskey could be born... justifying the price.

It is a very unusual name for a whiskey.
Aidan

Postby MGillespie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 am

One thing to remember is that this was never intended for the European market...it was created to fill a need in the Sidney Frank portfolio in the States for an Irish whiskey, and all of the production was destined for the U.S. That makes it pretty rare in Ireland and the UK, and gives some people the justification they need to charge higher prices. (That, and the fact that they did a higher-quality bottle that was designed for 750ml, and had to tweak things to get it down to the EU standard 700ml.)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:50 am

I am formally offering to tweak the contents of all these bottles down to 70 cl for free.
Aidan

Re: Michael Collins Irish Whiskey

Postby whiskeyman5 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:55 am

I was given a free sample of this down at the ballymore. I enjoyed the fact that it was free, but it was quite horrible. This is probably one of the most hilarious whiskies I have ever seen or tasted.
whiskeyman5

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:36 am

I've tasted it and it's okay. It's worth swallowing once you've got it as far as your mouth.
Aidan

Postby Newbie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Aidan wrote: It's worth swallowing once you've got it as far as your mouth.

ROFL!! Thats the funniest one liner I've heard on this forum yet! Almost as funny as the one from Tropic Thunder!
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 am

NG :yuk:
Gov
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder