Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg - Lord of the Isles - whydoesnt anyone like it?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Lord of the Isles

Ardbeg - Lord of the Isles - whydoesnt anyone like it?

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Is it me, or do I get the feeling Ardbeg collectors and drinkers just dont like this bottling?

It is 25 years old and every shop has it for sale for £120/£130, collecting dust.

So Question 1 ... Is it as collectable as the other Ardbegs.

and following that, if it isnt collectable, what is it like to drink? Jim Murray sems to think the finish is flat? is it? Is it worth the £120/£130 price tag to drink? or are there other Islay whisky's in THAT PRICE RANGE that are better?

Thoughts please ..........
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Good question - it certainly isn't over communicated around here.....
I guess I'm in line with that sentiment as I'm not too impressed by it. It's good but in my opinion not worth the money. But it isn't bland, it just doesn't win me over and although it's unfair to compare it to its younger siblings I'd still say the standard Ten impresses me more. As does the Very Young.....and Uigeadail.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:20 am

Hi adogran......,
This is a good question, but I know quite a few collectors (who are also avid drinkers!) and they are almost all not too impressed by this bottling.

If I remember correctly, the original issue price on the Ardbeg site was around 95 to 100 GBP and it didn't seem to sell well.
Then it was announced that stocks were dwindling and it would be discontinued, which raised the (Ardbeg) price to 150 GBP, which is what I think it sells for now in the Ardbeg online shop. Ebay prices seem quite static around €170 - €200 so this is very much in line with your UK findings.

My personal belief is that this will not increase in price as much as other more collectible Ardbegs, certainly the Single Cask bottlings.

It is a 25 year old Ardbeg, but again if I remember correctly, it is not a single cask, nor are any cask numbers identified on the bottling, nor is it "limited" with any outrun numbers.
Compared to the Single Cask bottlings which are limited to anything from 160 to 500 bottles, I think this doesn't represent such good value or investment potential.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskana » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I guess I'm in line with that sentiment as I'm not too impressed by it. It's good but in my opinion not worth the money.

Same here. I have tasted LotI couple of times and have not been really satisfied with it. I would buy this if the price was right though (~100£).
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:00 am

Nice to try, but too expensive to buy. Would not say the finish is flat though.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:19 am

It goes for about that on eBay...
Aidan

Re: Ardbeg - Lord of the Isles - whydoesnt anyone like it?

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:46 am

adogranonthepitch wrote:Is it me ?

Yes it's you Chris ! :lol: :wink:

or do I get the feeling Ardbeg collectors and drinkers just dont like this bottling?

As stated elsewhere , the "Collectors" don't like it because it's not a short run and they can't put "Rarity" or "1 of only xxx bottles" on their little e-bay advert .
The genuine Ardbeg drinkers love this dram (ask the plowed mob on a weds/thurs chat and they'll tell you ) , which Ardbeg fan couldn't love it when it's got the classic years of 1974 , 1975 and 1976 in it ! the only way it could have been improved is at CS and with 1972 and 1973 Ardbeg in it !!!!!!
Us Ardbeg fans love it , so what if Jim thinks it's flat ? It's not law what he thinks , try opening a bottle (oh my god ! what have i said !!!!) and seeing what YOU think ? Or are you a Sheep Dog ? (sorry couldn't resist ....)

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Re: Ardbeg - Lord of the Isles - whydoesnt anyone like it?

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:59 am

...try opening a bottle (oh my god ! what have i said !!!!) and seeing what YOU think ? Or are you a Sheep Dog ? (sorry couldn't resist ....)

After all that good advice and information, maybe I will have to open it up and try it again! I don't have any Ardbegs I'm drinking now, and I really should! The first time I tasted it I thought, "weird!" It took me a bit to get used to it and like it, which I do, but it's interesting, reminds me of seashells. I've heard the "weirdness" could be what happens when peat ages.
Di Blasi

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi there,

posted a remark in the spirit of the Spirit this morning which vanished. I think the Lord suffers from not carrying a big fat 25 or the year -let´s see - 1981 on the label. 1973 or something would be even better but not entirely true :twisted: !
And there is still some coming from Ardbeg as you can see in their online shop. It sells here for 199.- to 250.-€ which is not quite my range but for others it just might not be exclusive enough yet.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:52 pm

Interesting post.

I have been interested in this bottle for a while. But it always seems to slip a little bit too far out of my price range (or more like, what I am willing to pay for it). I am an Ardbeg fan, but I have yet to open my Provenance bottle.

I am not hearing a unanimous, 'must buy' from the group on this one. But I might be more on Gordon's side, along with the malt maniacs (91pts). I guess that I will keep up my search in the background for a 'good' price.
mikeymad

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 am

If you like ardbeg and can afford it then buy it... if you are not sure but heard great things about but afraid it's a bit too expensive then I know I would not. But at the end of the day it probably is a quality whisky .....

......but if you are a sheep dog then you are actually leading the way so you will be looking for the next best thing as Ardbeg is old news :wink:

We build then up so we can tear them down :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby corbuso » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:05 am

The lords of the Isle is a smooth ardbeg and like mentioned in a few posts, the finish is not as impressive as some single cask bottlings of that period. The finish is rather smooth and discreet, but netherless, this whisky is good.
I does not attract yet collectors, because of the current price (£150). However, with the price increase in the 1970's single cask bottlings (£250-300), the lord of the isles is getting more interesting.

When I was reaching the bottom of my Lords of the Isles and my Feis Ile 2005 Oloroso bottles, I mixed the left over together and the resulting "vatted" malt was very good.
Mixing some Lords of the Isles with some Ardbeg Still young or oogling might worth a try.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:12 am

corbuso wrote:I does not attract yet collectors, because of the current price (£150). However, with the price increase in the 1970's single cask bottlings (£250-300), the lord of the isles is getting more interesting.

The price of the LOTI at The Old Kiln last week had gone up to £175 but if you look around you can still get it at a reasonable price . And they still had two 4717's on the shelf .....
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:24 am

I think it's quite a nice Ardbeg. The Uigedail is nicer, for me, so I buy that instead.

As I say, you can get it on eBay for about 150 euro, which isn't bad value.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:51 pm

I wanted very badly to like LOTI, to feel that it was worth the price I paid, but a whole bottle left me a bit underwhelmed. A whisky that age ought perhaps to be bottled at cask strength.

I have another bottle in reserve, and think it will stay there for a good long time. The palate takes its own journey, and it may be that I will find something in it in a few years that I can't now.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Lord of the Isles

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder