Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Bottle

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Black Bottle

Postby Fergie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Came across this bottle lurking in the attic and wondered if it was a collectable bottle or just simply a run of the mill drinking one.
I bought it about 17 years ago because it looked a bit of an oddity and I don’t recall ever having seen another one like it. (This is where dozens of you guys jump in and tell me that these bottles are as common as muck)
The bottle is jet black and has a matt feel to it. There are no paper labels so I have no idea as to how the printing has been done.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers.

Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:16 am

Nice bottle fergie !
Never seen one before , i presume its an american bottling given the 75cl size ?
The Current standard Black Bottle bottlings are the NAS blend and 10yo expression . It's very popular on Islay ( nothing to do with all the Islay malt in it of course....) and it's a pretty good dram !
No idea how much this is worth or if it's collectable but it's a beaut !
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 am

Curious, I never knew there had been a Black Bottle 15 years.

I did a quick google for it, but couldn't find anything. I hope someone knows more about this.
Thomas H.

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Nice to know (so far) that it’s not a common bottling.
I bought it in my days as a publican and I’m now quite pleased that it never got as far as being placed on the gantry.
I am equally pleased that it was stuck in a box and forgotten about as otherwise, Black Bottle being one of my most favoured blends, it would probably not have survived this long.

(Liked the website Gordon)

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi Fergie ,
Thanks for the compliment about the site , i try my best !
If i see John ( Maclellan , manager of Bunnahabhain ) at this week-ends Whisky Fringe in Edinburgh , i'll ask him about the 15yo . I wonder if it was like the 10yo and only available on Islay ? Or has that changed now ?
Enjoy the bottle when you crack it open and let us know what it's like !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Found it here:

http://www.whisky-online.com/acatalog/b ... hisky.html

Rather tempting I'd say.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 pm

I find this very interesting as Black Bottle is one of my favourite blends also.

Has anyone tasted this and if so, how does it compare to the 10Y?
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 pm

Ah well. There I was, thinking that I had discovered a little treasure chest, only to find that I have simply found a little gem.

Now, do I drink it or stick it on my website for sale with the rest of my collection. Would I have the willpower to just have a couple of drams at a time.
http://www.freewebs.com/rferguson/

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:26 pm

£60-ish for a 15yo blend is pretty good I'd say. However, I'd drink it personally.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:56 pm

£60 ish would buy a couple of bottles of Antiquary.

(and some crisps . :P )

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Hmm £60, I'd go for a nice CS IB. Glenugie perhaps (and crisps of course).

Not had Antiquary. Nice blend ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Antiquary.....One of the best. It certainly was last week.
If you have never tried it, then you should. Soon.

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Fergie wrote:£60 ish would buy a couple of bottles of Antiquary.

(and some crisps . :P )

Cheers.

Heck, $60 USD will buy a couple bottles of Antiquary here. £60 would buy three and have change, maybe for your crisps (? whatever that is :)).

I'll have to try it, I keep passing it over in favor of new (to me) single malts.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 pm

I would recomend that you try it Puck.
A glass of Antiquary and a comfortable armchair....sheer bliss

Crisps. I think they are called 'potato chips' on your side of the pond ???

Cheers
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:56 am

Can't find this whisky on sale anywhere except by 'whisky-online'
Are they the only vendors ?? :?: ??

Cheers
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:06 pm

I'll give it a go as my next blend. Just finished my White and Mackay 12yo. Down to Grants 100 proof and White and Mackay NAS as only blends.

Really working on reducing by bottle count currently Image so another purchase is worrying :(
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Info from within the old Allied distillers tells me, the bottle went into the market circa 1992 as a premium to the NAS version.
It was distributed by URM(United Rum Merchants)Agencies, the sales side of Allied and became almost an exclusive to the Scottish market.
Needless to say over the intervening years it has become a little more widespread.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 pm

The Fachan wrote:Info from within the old Allied distillers tells me, the bottle went into the market circa 1992 as a premium to the NAS version.
It was distributed by URM(United Rum Merchants)Agencies, the sales side of Allied and became almost an exclusive to the Scottish market.

Ian

Hi Ian ,
This gets more interesting by the posting , i presume this ran along side the 10yo ? or was it instead of the 10yo ? The 10yo was always marketed as only been available on Islay (which of course you can now get else where ) , wonder if this was the same . The next question would be does this contain all 7 Islay distilleries as the 10yo does ? If so that means it contains Ardbeg and Laphroaig from 1977 or Before !!!!
Come on Fergie Crack it open , we want to know what it's like !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 pm

Gordon,

The 15yo was on the market a good time before the 10yo. Not sure about the malt content, yes the current 10yo is 100% islay malt content.
I was working in a Cash & Carry in south west Scotland when it came out so would have been national distribution.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Fergie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:07 pm

Gordon :- Get thee behind me ..or words to that effect... :?

Ian :- Bought the 15yo. at a Cash & Carry in Airdrie. 1992/93.
Can I assume, from what you are saying, that the 10yo is different from the standard Black Bottle.

Cheer
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am

Well would you believe it. I was up in the attic earlier and there is another one.
Two 15yo. Black Bottles. What a nice surprise that was.
The photo is a bit of kidology, but the two bottles aren’t. Now I have a real dilemma on my hands.

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:10 am

Wow Fergie, good on you.

It's nice to see that this expression is aged for for 15 long years - hate it when they use those pesky short years :wink:

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Ize » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:19 am

Funny that there is the same kind of a scratch(?) in the same place on both bottles. :?:
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:26 pm

Jan :- I did notice the ‘long years’ that were used in maturing the whisky. I wish that long years could be used in my personal aging process. Now that I am, what some people would call, an elderly gentleman, I find that I am now growing older with years that are very short, and seem to be getting shorter. Time is not passing by any longer, it is rushing by, at an alarming speed. So I must agree with you when you say that you hate ‘those pesky short years’.

Ize :- You have noticed that the same scratch (?) appears on both bottles. I did say (just under the photo) that “the photo is a bit of kidology”. Even though I genuinely have two bottles, the photo shown is made up by using a mirror image of the same bottle. I did it that way instead of using my camera and setting up another shot. No photograph will ever prove that I have two bottles especially when you consider that I could, if I wished, set up an image that showed a dozen or more bottles.

What does surprise me is that many people go to great lengths in describing bottles and labels when a simple photo would do the job much better. ??? Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 pm

What dilemma? Finding a second bottle is the answer to many a feinschmecker's prayers. Now you have one to drink and one to keep (or sell).

I have to assume that "long years" are leap years, since they are a day longer than regular years. So a whisky aged for "15 long years" would be about 60 years old! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Photon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:What dilemma? Finding a second bottle is the answer to many a feinschmecker's prayers. Now you have one to drink and one to keep (or sell).

Or two to drink...

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:33 am

Sorry, I somehow did not internalize that kidology part ..
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Fergie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:24 pm

"Internalize" now there's a word to play around with.

ie. Whisky snobs don't drink whisky, they 'internalize' it :D

Cheers
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:55 am

Fergie wrote:Whisky snobs don't drink whisky, they 'internalize' it :D

Clearly this one is so classy that it makes it potential signature stuff. ;)
Ize
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder