Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help! A gift similar to Johnhny Walker?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Help! A gift similar to Johnhny Walker?

Postby Akik0 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:54 pm

Hello :)

I'm a totally whisky-noob, trying to get into this right now.

I would like to give a friend of mine (28 ) a tasty whisky for his birthday, but I have no clue what kind might match to him.
He is from Mississippi and totally loves Johnny Walker, either pure without any ice, or in bars mixed with coke (strange...^^). He's a little bit of a gourmet I think!

Well he doesn't like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam at all. I couldn't even tell ANY difference, cos I don't know anythink about whisky!

So, I'd say I give him something like Johnny, just maybe something new. I think he tried the green, black, blue and red labels already.
It shouldn't cost more than 35$, hopefully some of you have an idea what would be the right thing for him :)

uhm..I'm from germany, so hopefully I can get get it all from here..you never know o_O

Aki
Akik0

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Try a Talisker 10yo Single Malt as seemingly there is a fair bit of it in the JW blend as it is.

Might be worth a try. Smokey and spicey with a nice sweetness. he shou;d enjoy it if he likes all Johnnie Walkers as they are all different.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:11 pm

Yes, or maybe Cragganmore, Linkwood, or Caol Ila...
Aidan

Postby kallaskander » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Hi there,

as you have posted the same question in a German forum I will only answer here to save time.
One of the lead malts in the younger JWs is Cardhu. The 12 year old is around 30.-€ or a bit above.
In older JWs there is Talisker in noticeable quantities so this suggestion is to be considered.
I f you do want to buy a single malt that does not stray too far from a blend but is a very fine single malt in its own right try to get a Benromach Traditional. Smooth and mellow, lots of very fine flavours. A malt that wants to be discovered and then rewards you with an abundance of tastes. It is around 30.-€ as well.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:08 pm

You could look out for the short-lived Cardhu vatted malt. Some say it's better than the single malt.
Aidan

Postby Akik0 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:29 pm

wooow lots of answers, thank you very much!
now I just have to decide which one to pick! I will see, thank you !!
Akik0

Postby Akik0 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 am

Hey I just found out yesterday he likes the red and blue label (very smooth), but not the green one cos of too woody taste :)

Aki
Akik0

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Get him a bottle of Talisker 10yo. It's lovely. One of the first whiskies that got me into the stuff. The colour of sunshine and the taste of Skye.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:50 pm

If he likes Johnnie Walker then why not get him Johnnie Walker? If you want to get him something similar, then how about White Horse?
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder