Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

good Talisker

All your whisky related questions answered here.

good Talisker

Postby bjorn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:58 am

I'm searching for a good (spicy, peppery) Talisker, but noticing different packaging on different bottles of the 10. I also am noticing different people giving different criteria for the good stuff-gold cap vs blue cap or box/label with prominent '10' vs box/label that downplays age statment. Where oh where is the Talisker of my dreams (and approximately when did it dissapear from the shelves?)

any advice appreciated (just so long as it isn't conflicting :wink: )

-bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:10 am

As far as I know it is the bottling with the blue cap and the blue box is the new one.

And the one with the gold cap and grey box is the older type, and older still with green bottle.

Image Image

I could be totally wrong though as I have only been drinking Talisker for 1 year now. I've had the middle one which I loed then I got one with the blue cap and 2 free glasses and that was great too however my last one was a blue cap also and I was very disappointed. I sourced the middle one again in a shop in holland lately but have yet to open it but the store keeper told me it was much better than the blue cap one.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am

Hi there,

the Talisker of your dreams might just hide out under the label of Macleod. Independent bottler Ian Macleod of the clan Macleod native to Skye has bottlings of Talisker in different strengths and from different vintages which mostly come from bourbon barrels.
Contrary to the standard bottlings that means there is no sherry sweetness to counter the pepper which can come to the fore unabashed. Try one of these if you can find them.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:42 am

Cheers K much appreciated as I too love the pepper in Talisker so I will also look for these.....

Bjorn try

http://www.spirituosen-superbillig.de/

or

http://www.whiskyworld.de/whiskysinglemalts_arran_skye.htm
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby kallaskander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:27 am

Hi there,

Níl an focal faighte.

Meant to say you`re welcome.

Hope it is not too far off the mark.

Greeting
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby drfred » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:42 pm

This thread just answered a question I had. I bought 2 bottles of Talisker from a local shop and one of them had a funny green tinted bottle. I wondered why the whisky had such a more pronounced peppery taste than the previous bottle had. Now I know that it is an earlier bottling. The other bottle is like the one in the middle. Thanks for the pictures!!!

Fred
drfred

Postby JWFokker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:01 am

You might also try the Distiller's Edition line. The bottle I have now is a bit more peppery than the more recent 10yo bottles I've had. I think they may just handpick the casks with the most distinctive Talisker flavor and give them the DE designation. The cream of the crop more or less. Unfortunately, it's not cheap.
JWFokker

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:30 am

JWFokker wrote:You might also try the Distiller's Edition line. The bottle I have now is a bit more peppery than the more recent 10yo bottles I've had. I think they may just handpick the casks with the most distinctive Talisker flavor and give them the DE designation. The cream of the crop more or less. Unfortunately, it's not cheap.

The Distiler's Edition is finished in an Amontillado sherry task. I have a bottle of the 1992/2005 edition, and for that year I actaully find the pepper is a bit more gentle, almost muted by the sherry. It is a very nice and rich dram, with some added complexity, depending upon my mood and the actual "sip" I find differnt elements dominate. A very good dram in my eyes, not a great dram.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 am

To correct myself, the Talasker DE is matured in Amoroso..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 am

Has anyone tasted the 175th anniversary bottling? I have a bottle of this.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Aiden - I've got a bottle too - yet to open though. Some say it contains 20yo stuff and is better than the 18. If I open soon - I'll let you know. SO many whiskies and only one liver :roll:
Deactivated Member

Re:

Postby bcrossan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:33 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:As far as I know it is the bottling with the blue cap and the blue box is the new one.

And the one with the gold cap and grey box is the older type, and older still with green bottle.

Image Image

I could be totally wrong though as I have only been drinking Talisker for 1 year now. I've had the middle one which I loed then I got one with the blue cap and 2 free glasses and that was great too however my last one was a blue cap also and I was very disappointed. I sourced the middle one again in a shop in holland lately but have yet to open it but the store keeper told me it was much better than the blue cap one.

This is an old thread but it is some of the info I am looking for. I found some of these bottles in the middle picture and I am just trying to figure out what date range these were bottled? Trying to look it up on maltmaniacs.com but not sure which this is.

Thanks
bcrossan
Silver Member

Re: good Talisker

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 pm

Rough Estimates would be ...

Current Blue cap since 2005.

Midle one 2000-2005

And the Green bottle 1990's

These are just rough estimates so don't quote me on it :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Re: good Talisker

Postby bjorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm at the heel of a bottle which resembles the middle of the 3. The bottling code on the back started with L1, if that helps anybody. At least I'm pretty sure it did before it rubbed off.

-Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder