Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ban on liquids in carry on luggage

General chat and talk about whisky.

Ban on liquids in carry on luggage

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Just in after the British foil a plot involving commercial airlines. No liquid is being sold at the Duty Free shops in Vancouver. So much for anyone buying a bottle of whisky to take home after vacation. I wonder what the impact will be for collectors hoping to bring home a bottle.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Honestly, I don't think too many will care about not being able to purchase a bottle of whisk(e)y - Or at least no one should!!
I think the concern should be in both safe travel and getting these terrioist bastards :x

Although I believe that passengers would be able to place it in their check-in luggage.

The No Liquid rule, as far as I know applies to cabin luggage.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Well, if it's possible to bring the toll free quota or other whisky purchases in the luggage then it's no problem. If that isn't possible then I'd say it is a problem - especially for those living in scandinavian countries with limited availability. It's a hobby and if something restricts it then it's a problem.

I hope the authoroties and the business can come up with a solution.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:13 am

Yeah safety must of course be #1 priority - but still sad that is has come to this. :cry:

I can imagine that World of Whisky and the other shops are not too happy about this development....

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Re: Ban on liquids in carry on luggage

Postby bamber » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:51 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Just in after the British foil a plot involving commercial airlines. No liquid is being sold at the Duty Free shops in Vancouver. So much for anyone buying a bottle of whisky to take home after vacation. I wonder what the impact will be for collectors hoping to bring home a bottle.
Muskrat Portage

Seems annoying. Isn't Duty Free after you've cleared security. Hence th e only way liquied bought could pose a threat was if the staff in the shops were involved in a conspiracy, with terrorists.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:25 am

When I was coming back from New York, you paid for your duty free, which was taken by the seller and returned to you in a sealed bag once you when through security, or something like that.

I'd say things will be back to normal soon. Maybe not, though.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:31 am

Apart from the obvious, i.e. how annoying this is, and yes I do find it rather so, despite of the security threat, one might wish to remember that there are hundreds if not thousands of people globally who make their livelyhood from duty-free sales.

If duty-free is now, thanks to our fundamentalist islamic 'friends', a thing of the past, all these people will inevitably loose their jobs and the companies will go out of business as well. After all, alcohol IS the number one product offered for sale - and being purchased. And besides, as more & more fanatic islamists spend their precious time planning how best to execute largest possible number of people while merrily enjoying the free lifestyle provided to them by Western civil nations, soon we will no longer be allowed to purchase any duty-free, or carry luggage at all - or even travel.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:31 am

Well like it or not, you can't take any hand luggage on planes from the UK whether it was purchased airside or not. Also, as far as I know, if you stop in the UK in transit, you will also have to surrender your hand luggage.

FWIW, I don't think safety should be number 1 - I think quality of life is more important than life per se - otherwise we'd never leave the house! I cannot see how banning airport sales of whisky (and books, for heaven's sake) will improve our safety anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:34 am

Nick Brown wrote:
FWIW, I don't think safety should be number 1 - I think quality of life is more important than life per se - otherwise we'd never leave the house! I cannot see how banning airport sales of whisky (and books, for heaven's sake) will improve our safety anyway.

Here, here.....

I would hope this is a short term thing. Remeber you cannot pack duty free in your luggage when your luggage is checked in before you even reach the duty free :shock: . You will have to purchase it outside where it will cost more :roll:

And as you say it does not really have any bearing on safety. If they are worried about liquids being brough into the air port fair enough but how can they say that something which is already in the airport shop and bought by a person a safety issue.

I applaud the authorities for their quick action but I think they have over thought this issue if they are going to bring it in full time :?

If air travel is going to become this restrictive I'll be staying home more often.... :(
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 am

I think their action was more sudden than quick. They knew about this for a while...
Aidan

Postby parvus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

M.R.J. wrote:If duty-free is now, thanks to our fundamentalist islamic 'friends'

I think the fact that they are muslims has really been driven to the point of bogglement by the media these days, since when does it make a drop of difference what religion, color or appearance these people have? They are vile people, what they are beyond that is of little importance.

...while merrily enjoying the free lifestyle provided to them by Western civil nations, soon we will no longer be allowed to purchase any duty-free, or carry luggage at all - or even travel.

Oh certainly. It's clear they are living a life of luxury thanks to the all powerful and ever-so-nice western civilization, they are so comfortable with the life provided to them that they decide to go and blow themselves up near other people. That's some luxury, whoo eee!
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:57 pm

According to the BBC website, these restrictions will probably be made permanent.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Nick Brown wrote:According to the BBC website, these restrictions will probably be made permanent.

That is totaly crapy .... whatever about not being let through departures with a bag I cannot see why people should not be allowed when they are in departures to purchase duty free or even a book or magazine for a long haul flight.

It makes no sense to me and this will probably spread beyond travelling to and from the UK & US :?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:14 pm

I think your emoticon was wring. This one might have been better:

:evil:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:28 pm

It is unfortunate that those in authority often feel the need to be seen to be doing something as much as actually doing something. But that is largely reaction to public pressure.

I agree that the purchase of duty-free items airside, after passing through security, can pose no threat in this regard, unless of course the bottles themselves are used as weapons. Perhaps the airport security agencies should consult with Glasgow city council.

I always carry my toiletries and a change or two of clothing in my carry-on, so as not to get stuck wearing the same shorts for five days running, searching fruitlessly for a pair in some place like Callander. The underwear and socks are clean, so they can't be classified as toxic agents. But I guess I won't be able to carry shampoo and such any more.

I hope the hysteria dies down before I go over in October. I certainly don't mean to minimize the threat (and we should all remember to be grateful to the authorities who quashed it), but the public do tend to overreact to this sort of thing, and the public agencies mirror that.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:48 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I always carry my toiletries and a change or two of clothing in my carry-on, so as not to get stuck wearing the same shorts for five days running, searching fruitlessly for a pair in some place like Callander. The underwear and socks are clean, so they can't be classified as toxic agents. But I guess I won't be able to carry shampoo and such any more.

Well unfortunately your underware has just been sanctioned as high treath :lol:

I thought all carry on luggage is now banned.

Only things that can be taken through are Passport, ticket and perscription medicines...

Hmmmm ..... :idea: ..... I wonder can you perscribe whisky like they used to do in Prohibition :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:57 pm

Agree 100% with your post Parvus! Cheers for putting some things into perspective...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:58 pm

Frodo wrote:Agree 100% with your post Parvus! Cheers for putting some things into perspective...

Agreed! Let's keep this forum clean of nasty attitudes and keep it a nice place to write about everything pertinent to whisky.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Duty free purchases

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:22 pm

I suspect that as the airports benefit from the sales of duty free stores, and the governments still get their share of taxes from said sales, that a method of delivering the purchases to the aircraft will be arranged. As the future may very well see no carry-on luggage, perhaps purchases wil be placed in a shipping container for pick up at your final destination prior to going through customs.

When I first flew to Britain in the 80's, you picked your duty free up at the gate before you embarked by showing your receipt. It wouldn't take much to ship it through in the aircraft to your point of disembarkation. (Of course Air Canada will lose 2% of it, but that's our problem, eh?)

I personally applaud the efforts of the authorities to do whatever makes travel safe, as you cannot surrender to fear. Travel is a privelege which benefits you with an expanded appreciation of other cultures and people.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Duty free purchases

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:12 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:I suspect that as the airports benefit from the sales of duty free stores, and the governments still get their share of taxes from said sales, that a method of delivering the purchases to the aircraft will be arranged.

Well, no...you don't pay taxes in the duty free. That's kind of the whole point. Or are there some taxes still paid? Excise, I suppose.

Muskrat Portage wrote:I personally applaud the efforts of the authorities to do whatever makes travel safe, as you cannot surrender to fear.

I don't disagree with you, Musky, but I sometimes feel that some of the things being done in the name of security are exactly surrendering to fear.
Deactivated Member

Duty Free? Really?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:47 am

Mr Tattieheid wrote:Well, no...you don't pay taxes in the duty free. That's kind of the whole point. Or are there some taxes still paid? Excise, I suppose.
Yep, that's exactly what I mean, Her Majesty gets her cut from the "cut".
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:47 pm

There is no "Duty Free" within the EU, taxes are paid when we buy from the airport shops, so the ealrier point is valid in this scenario.

Personally, I rely a lot upon airport whisky shopping and need to find a solution reasonably quickly.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:35 pm

1 April 2007--In the wake of the recently foiled hijacking, in which a woman attempted to strangle a flight attendant with her brassiere, authorities announced that all such garments would now be banned on all flights. Initially, all female passengers were required to demonstrate to security personnel that they were not wearing the contraband item, but after an outcry about profiling, authorities announced that male passengers would be checked, also.

In an unrelated development, several British MPs have announced a "Holiday at Home" initiative, saying they would forego their usual trips to Majorca and Mykonos.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:04 pm

Parvus was upset I pointed out to which religion these individuals who have caused this and other travel etc. restrictions whilst committing / trying to commit atrocities. Some others seem to have also pointed that I was out of line with this.

Sorry if you found that was uncalled for - it was not meant as an offense. Nor was it meant as a call for stakes and torches certainly.

Other terrorist groups were childsplay compared to these fundamentalists. Most of the other terror groups of past tried to avoid massive casualties for example, as it turned their supporters off and decreased their support. This current lot, however, are confident enough that they gain more & more support in certain corners the more carnage they are able to produce.

I have to amaze at how easy it is to bring a modern, tolerant world to its knees by a minority if they are fanatic enough. All of us suffer the consequences, regardless that the vast majority of the people who suffer can easily be distinguished as posing no threat at all. I am, please excuse me, just a tad fed up on the extortion and threat tactics.

And yes, it does upset me that some individuals who live amongst us and enjoy the freedoms (which are not present in many other countries, including the ones where this aforementioned religion is predominant) try impose on us and dictate on what our foreign policy and ways should be - if not, there will be terrorism. The audacity.

In any case, I would like to apologize profusely for what seems to have upsetted some, and I promise I will never touch this or other political topics here or elsewhere in the whisky magazine forums. Sorry folks. I will concentrate on enjoying whisky :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby parvus » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:46 am

As discussed in our private messages MRJ, you have caused no offense nor upset anyone here, i'm sure.

I was meerly saying that I think it does the vast majority of peacful muslims a great disservice every time the word terrorist is mentioned, the fact that they are of a particular faith is somehow important. Yes, it would appear that these people are being corrupted via their religion, but that is not something that people who are 'fighting' terrorism can do anything about.

One cannot point the finger of blame soley at extremist muslims and their warping of the Koran for the current situation we face, the finger has to land a great deal with the way the US and her allies have treated a lot of the countries these extremists come from, or recieve training from.

...try impose on us and dictate on what our foreign policy and ways should be - if not, there will be terrorism [war]. The audacity.

Is this not what the united states are currently doing, world wide?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:03 am

parvus wrote:As discussed in our private messages MRJ, you have caused no offense nor upset anyone here, i'm sure.

I was meerly saying that I think it does the vast majority of peacful muslims a great disservice every time the word terrorist is mentioned, the fact that they are of a particular faith is somehow important. Yes, it would appear that these people are being corrupted via their religion, but that is not something that people who are 'fighting' terrorism can do anything about.

One cannot point the finger of blame soley at extremist muslims and their warping of the Koran for the current situation we face, the finger has to land a great deal with the way the US and her allies have treated a lot of the countries these extremists come from, or recieve training from.

...try impose on us and dictate on what our foreign policy and ways should be - if not, there will be terrorism [war]. The audacity.

Is this not what the united states are currently doing, world wide?

"Got any bombs, Paddy?" - Heard that lots of times during the 80s. There was some kind of assumption that most Irish people supported the IRA at the time, which of course is completely wrong. I suspect muslims are hearing similar allover the world at the moment.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:20 am

Chaps, you are right. I really just hope that the future of air travel will still allow us to do some shopping as well, and that I could still bring a book in the airplane to keep me entertained.

On that topic, anyone spot any extreme 'goodies' at airports, or bargains we shouldn't miss recently?

I travelled to US via Denmark one month ago and at the Kastrup airport (I think thats the name) the 18yo Caol Ila one litre was on sale, the 'traveling outside EU' price translated to approximately £28 (about 41 euros). A bargain I couldn't resist..
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm

And what about when you get to your destination and the suitcase doesn't? How much money are the airlines willing to lose in re-payment of purchased toothpaste, makeup, underwear and such?? Will they eventually make new rules saying they aren't responsible any longer? Will travel insurance companies increase their rates, and benefit in the long run? And what about my damn spare change-filled coffee tin I've been saving up and planned to spend on whisky in Scotland the end of the month???! Will I have to pack it up real well and warn "fragile, glass, valuable" and ship it over, praying it arrives, and safely? And when I go "red" through customs, how obvious will it be how many bottles I really have!! And since we have to send ALL belongings, what insurance do we have from the airline our ipod, camera, telephone, laptop etc will still be in our bag, when we are supposed to leave our suitcases unlocked! And what the heck is the deal with no shoppping in duty free as many have already mentioned?? Hello, we've been checked, this is secure merchandise, isn't it?? That's just the American paranoia spreading I'd say.
Anyway, I hope it blows over by the end of the month!!!
But it will probably get worse...
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Hey - now's the time to buy cigarette speedboats and start smuggling! A new and burgeoning market :shock:
I see boats loaded with crates filled with Laphroaig in a quiet dark cove with lanterns turned off - heading my way.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Sure thing!! Great idea! Or on cruise ships that pass through Bergen a few hours in the day, usually a bunch of old tourists anyway. Nobody would ever expect it!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:31 pm

We need submarines to be able to travel from Islay to eve the furthest corners of the EU and our neighbour countries (well, those that have a coastline at least) undetected.

I suggest discussions with the russians, they may have silent subs for sale...If memory serves me correct, they were constantly testing the buggers in Swedish waters and none were ever caught!

After that we could offer some 'real McCoy' and care less about airtravel problems...! Bring back the good ole days of rumrunners and whisky adventures...Aye!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:37 pm

M.R.J. wrote:

I suggest discussions with the russians, they may have silent subs for sale...If memory serves me correct, they were constantly testing the buggers in Swedish waters and none were ever caught!

:lol: Well, they did serve one on the rocks in 1981 in Sweden. That was a hilarious incident. It's even more fun to know that the U-137 was identified to be what NATO classified as "Whisky Class" :P

More on the story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_U-137

Christian
Mr Fjeld

A satisfactory conclusion?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:51 am

Things have eased up a bit here dependant on the airline you are flying with. This is from the CBC website: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/airportsecurity/

"As of Saturday, Aug. 19, Transport Canada allowed certain duty free liquids, including alcohol, perfumes and aerosols, to be purchased at the airport and transported, but only under strict conditions.

For all flights departing Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal for the U.S., duty free liquids, gels and aerosols must be transferred to checked luggage before a passenger proceeds through the screening process. These airports have pre-clearance services for duty free items.
For all other Canadian flights bound for the U.S. and the U.K. duty free goods like these may be available depending on the airline but passengers will only receive their purchases at the end of the flight. Travelers are urged to check with airlines in advance.
For other international flights, the rules can vary. Some airlines will allow duty free liquids, gels and aerosols to be taken on board with carry-on luggage but only if the goods are delivered to passengers after the boarding gate and while getting on the aircraft. "

So things are getting back on track with added security. Like I posited earlier, with some flights to the US and UK, you can pick them up at the end of the flight. I guess the financial impact was an issue after all.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:58 am

Things are going to be different flying in and out of the UK for some time yet I suspect. I'm simply going to rethink my options about bringing back whisky from Scotland, ie, a much tougher suitcase for carrying bottles. I was simply lucky this time since one of my bottles came back in a soft sided sitcase, luckily we managed to lay our hands on some bubble wrap so all was OK.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:09 am

The thing that bugs me most is not being able to take basic toiletries in my carry-on. I've always carried my kit thus along with at least one change of clothes, so that if my luggage is lost, I'll at least have that stuff.

If banning these items is essential, then why wasn't it done before? Because no one thought of it? What aren't they thinking of now? Why do I hope they never will?
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder