Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Staffing a Small Distillery

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Staffing a Small Distillery

Postby Tommy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:51 pm

For those of you who have gone on distillery tours, especially the very small producers, do you remember what they might have said about how many people staff their organizations? I'm trying to create some organizational charts for distilleries as well as create a production to staffing curve and while I have some numbers at the very large end, as well as for artisan distilleries, I'm missing data for the small to mid-size distillery. Can anyone help with this?
Tommy

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:55 am

Hi there,

I seem to recall that three persons were making whisky at Edradour and some ten were guides and shop personnel.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 am

I think there are 33 employees at Springbank and 31 at Bruichladdich. Quite a lot, but then both distilleries are very 'manual'.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Bullie,

How many at Springbank and Bruichladdich are involved in the production process, that would be a fair comparison as most others do bottling etc. off site.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:17 pm

The Fachan wrote:Bullie,

How many at Springbank and Bruichladdich are involved in the production process, that would be a fair comparison as most others do bottling etc. off site.

Ian

Hard to say, when most of the people at Springbank has to do a lot of different things. And the bottling is for sure a big part of the production, as we don't buy the whisky in casks anymore. ;) It's a very 'simple' bottling line, where most of the labor is made by hand. (Checking the bottles, packing bottles in boxes etc.) Only six bottles is filled at a time. There were 7 people working there. But they're also involved in other tasks, such as vatting and fillings of casks.

But in the actual process of making whisky? Hard to say. There are two teams of 3 working the kiln. (Hot hot hot) A lot of people are involved in the maltings. All the malt used by Springbank, Longrow, Hazelburn and Glen Gyle is made at the maltingfloors of Springbank. And it has to be grubbed and turned every third hour. 10 tonnes on one floor and 11 tonnes at the other. And there is no machines used...
Then there's people working the stills, the mashing an so on.

So as a conclusion, most of the 33 working there is involved in the production process. And as I've understood from a friend who's been working there, the same goes for Bruichladdich.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Glenmorangie is staffed by 16 people. They are all male and all live locally.
Deactivated Member

Thank you

Postby Tommy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:11 pm

Just wanted to thank all of you that provided information. It's helpful and much appreciated.
Tommy

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm

And a curse on all those who provided no information.

I've found all this interesting too.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Small Staff at Bladnoch

Postby scotch4ever » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:33 am

There are only two people who proudce at Bladnoch. Raymond Armstrong who is the owner and John Herries the Stillman. The rest of the staff is running the shop and having tours.

Cheers,
scotch4ever

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder