Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

flasking malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.

flasking malt

Postby korolev » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:49 am

hi, i would like to have my single malt in a portable flask (metal).

i am concerned about the quality of the malt after being flasked and also if prolonged consumption is harmful.

thank you.
korolev

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:00 am

Hi Korolev

Pouring your whisky in to a hipflask can have an effect on the whisky. If it is only for a few hours, you should be fine, though.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby sku » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:43 pm

I often bring a flask of single malt on short trips (three to five days) and have never noticed a change in taste of the whisky, though I never drink directly from the flask.

Prolonged consumption of whisky from a flask, glass, bottle or shoe, can be harmful to you...but I'm not aware of any additional danger from a flask, unless it's made of, say, lead.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:52 pm

I've seen it recommended that you not leave whisky in the flask for more than 24 hours. This in the literature that came with a flask. I suppose they are just being on the safe side--can't imagine too much harm.

Anyone want to do a HTH with whisky kept in a flask for a few days, compared to the same from the bottle, to see if there is any effect on flavor?
Deactivated Member

Postby korolev » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 pm

alright, thanks guys... im out to get a hipflask!
korolev

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:53 am

Hi there,

the A. H. Hirsch´s Reserve and the Boone´s Knoll, both distilled in 1974 at Michter´s distillery in 1974 and some old Tullamore from the 1950´s sold under the Knapougue Label have been kept in stainless steel for quite a while to prevent them from getting too oaky in the barrels they were in originally. Didn´t much harm it seems.

A stainless hipp flask you carry on the body obviously and it is kept warm and the whisky in it sloshes around so 24 hours should be a save margin. You were never planing to have it there for a longe period, weren´t you? :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:01 pm

One thing you might consider that I've found effective....

Nalgene makes a plastic flask that works great...here's one: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48016776&parent_category_rn=5760749&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It holds a lot of whisky and there's no flavor change or smell. Very durable, cheap, and works as advertised. I take it on trips where I'm outdoors a lot and love it.
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby aarkwilde » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 pm

REI carries a flask made from titanium. It's expensive, but apparently the metal doesn't react to alcohol at all. A glass flask is also an option, and a lot more affordable. Fragile though.

I don't have one yet. And my stainless flask does change the flavor of my scotch if I leave it in more then a day.
aarkwilde

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

I've used a stainless steel one and you can get a slight metalic taste while necking the flask but I usually only use if for cold nights watching the football from the sidelines.

I've seen glass ones encased in stainless steel which I imagine would negate this trait
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:57 pm

When you think of all the metal that is in contact with the whisky before it ends up in your bottle, I don't think you have to worry to much.

The stills is made out of copper. The tanks that the wash is in is made of stainless steel in many places. The tankers that transport the whisky from many distilleries is made of stainless steel (here we talk up to a week in a tanker). And there is also vatting tanks made of stainless steel.

So I think you can store whisky in a stainless flask for a week without worrying. :)

I use 6, 10, 15 and 20 cl glass flasks though. They're quite unbreakable. Made out of brown, thick glass. Medicin-type.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 pm

i find if i put whisky in a hip flask, it has gone by the end of the night. :lol:

i blame the steel and its high evaporation rate but my wife says I drink too much :wink:

:P
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby korolev » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:59 pm

thank you so much guys, i'm currently looking for a durable hip flask. just about to finish my bottle of macallan 12. picked up a bottle of balvenie doublewood and highland park 12 just yesterday. pretty new to single malt still...but i guess itll be a life long journey.
korolev

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder