Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New airline rules?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

New airline rules?

Postby jeffk » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:05 pm

I always carried my malts back from England to the US in carry on, for fear of the pressure drop in checked baggage allowing the bottle to blow. I guess that's not really a rational fear...but it seems it would get mighty cold in the baggage well, if the pressure wasn't a problem...

Anyone here bring their whiskies back from the UK to the states in checked baggage? Any problems or things you need to do in doing so?

jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby adramaday » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Well, it wasn't an int'l flight, but I recently packed a couple of botles into checked baggage just fine. I just rolled them up in bubble paper and taped them them into another cardboard box. I can't really imagine the pressure or the temperature being a greater issue than the baggage handlers.
adramaday

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

I have always brough some bottles back by checked baggage to maximise my stash and have yet to encounter a problem. I always wrap them in my clothes but that was more for protection than temp reasons.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:26 am

I'm planning to bubble wrap and put into a box, like a 12 wine bottle box since I plan to bring back 8 or so bottles, then send them with the suitcases. Is this allowed?? If I only have the one suitcase, and send the box as well, is that okay? Packing the bottles in my bag I think will make it too heavy and have other problems.
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:33 am

And maybe soon they'll have those "speedboats" running booze back and fourth, perhaps they'll start carrying passengers too so we can import our own stuff!
How about sending with the luggage a box of well packed whisky? Will they allow it?
Di Blasi

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:54 am

With each bottle weighing approx 2kg your rapidly approaching the limit where you have to start paying for overweight baggage and that can get expensive - price depending on airline (Widerøes limit is 20kg and 40kr/kg for overweight baggage).

Unfortunately with today's restrictions there isn't much to do with it other that cancelling the planeticket and going by boat from Bergen to Newcastle and then catching a train (approx 1,5 hours from Newcastle to Edinburgh by train).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 pm

I brought back two bottles of wine in my checked luggage from France to the States and had no problem. I hope they ease the rules before I go to Ireland in November but I am not counting on it.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:40 pm

I've brought back as many as 14 bottles at one time alot of it checked and never had a problem, I brought a second bag so I could spread the weight between bags and not have a problem. The lady at the count was nice enough to plaster the bag with fragile sticks. Hopefully this helped and didn't make it a target. None the less they all made it safe.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:23 am

Last June I did some shopping in a whisky shop in London and I had quite a few severe issues with the Customs, because I claimed the tax refund. In order to do so, in Heathrow, they forced me to carry the whisky bottles as hand luggage.
I will fly to Scotland next month and I hope that the situation will improve, since I intend to bring back some bottles with me. Carrying bottles in check luggages has not been a problem so far, with only 1 exception. The cork of 1 bottle went loosed and the whole bag was then flavoured with Glenmorangie whisky. In any case, please make sure that your bottles are well packed, with bubble paper.

Regards
Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder