Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Co-Worker Gives Isle of Jura 10yo... Friend or Foe?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Co-Worker Gives Isle of Jura 10yo... Friend or Foe?

Postby Richiyaado » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:33 am

It's a question (sort of), so I guess this is the appropriate forum.

My wife and I are buying another house in New Orleans (after getting flooded out of our previous one... call me kooky), and today a co-worker (who knows I like Scotch) gave me a bottle of Isle of Jura 10ya as a housewarming gift. Her husband... author of several military history books, Jane Austen expert, noted literary and film critic, etc... fancies himself a Scotch expert, too. Now, I've never actually tried Isle of Jura 10yo, but have (in this very forum, no less) read that a number of people regard it one of the worst Scotches on the market. Not as bad as "Black Dhu" I hear, but close.

So what do you think... friend or foe? Could be that she thinks it's a great gift, while he secretly titters with glee at his own mischief... I don't know! Should I even open the bottle, or should I re-gift to some unsuspecting relative or other?

(Let me add that I just bought my first bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail... seriously wonderful stuff! But is it enough to counter the possibly deleterious effects of drinking Isle of Jura 10yo?)

Thank you.
Last edited by Richiyaado on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richiyaado

Sorry!

Postby Richiyaado » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:36 am

I really thought I was posting to the "Questions" forum... maybe one too many tots of Uigeadail... sorry!
Richiyaado

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:47 am

Jura 10 is not generally highly regarded, but some people really like it. It's really not bad enough to be perceived as a malicious gift. Perfectly drinkable! Any whisky is an experience, and therefore educational in one way or another, and therefore worthwhile. Open your mind along with the bottle. Who knows, it might become a favorite.

If the giver later asks you, with a bit of a smirk, what you thought of it, just arch an eyebrow and say, "Interesting."
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 am

Say: "Ahh this is definitely the best distillery on the island."
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am

I don't think Jura is at all bad - perfectly drinkable with a malty/waxy profile with some fruit and salt. It's almost like a cross between Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich - although fans of those two would probably disagree.

In my book, anyone who shells out to buy me a bottle of whisky is a friend.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:08 am

You'll probably find that this was a spare bottle around the house which was not going to be drank :wink:

I think any gift should be appreciated but if asked to give your opinion on it be truthful. It may be a scenario that you love it but it may also be a scenario that you feel the Uigeadail is far superior. It's okay saying that you thought it was so so as that is what us mad malt heads do. I actually don't think Ardbeg is the best whisky in the world but it does not mean it's bad. Theycould of very easily bought you avery expensive bottle which also may not have been to your liking.

You should really taste this whisky as this will give you a basis of where you want to go.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm

I recently opened a bottle of Jura 10, the 2005 version before the lable change (the new botteling is supposed to be better). Well, I can say it has a lot of character, but not sure I love it. Gentle on the nose, some salty sea notes, a touch of fruit. Where is the malt on the nose? The mouth is very, very salty to me, some fruit undertones, a touch of sweatness. It is certainly maritime in its salty quality, peat not present. Certainly different, and I can see enjoying it on a cold night (not many here in North Carolina in the summer).

My wife found it gentle and light; the intense saltiness did not sand out for her as much. She found it a tad dull, but "ok." Funny response, as she is just learing to love anything besides Lagavulin.

As was stated, any freind who gifts a single malt is a freind indeed. I think this is mostly a love it or "like it" malt, not sure who many would love it, although it may grow on some over time. I sent a few samples out to freinds this week; I am looking forward to seein their responses.

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:12 pm

I'd agree...any gift of a single malt should be welcomed. I found the Jura 10 to be perfectly fine...it's not one I would pick as my favorite dram, but it's not a bad choice...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:22 pm

I think your friend posted the same message about a year ago when he recieved the Jura 10 in the first place.

I have had it, but don't remember liking it or disliking it.
Aidan

Postby Whiskana » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:54 pm

I have a friend (sailor), who's been keel-hauled too many times probably, and he likes to buy different Juras on his journeys and even drinks them! Rest of the whisky-drinking buddies of mine don't really care about this distillery...

It's OK, if it's free and You have minimum of six shots of something else before that... :wink:

As a gift it's fine and You can serve it to Your friends if You don't like it yourself.
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Richiyaado » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 am

This is good stuff (I mean the responses... still haven't tried the Jura). I should mention it comes with a tumbler and small decanter. I've closely examined the packaging, and it shows serious signs of wear and tear... I suspect it might have been gift wrapped at some point. My tentative conclusion is that this is indeed the fruitcake of Scotch!
Richiyaado

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:54 am

An ex gift so ... ah well you should give it a go all the same...

People don't drink certian whiskies because they have heard they are not good but how do they know if they never tried it.

Give it a go and then you will know for sure and it can be used as mentioned earlier for guests if you don't like it.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby jeffk » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:33 pm

I find that some people fancy themselves as an "expert", or their significant other thinks they're an expert because of how much effort/time/resources they might put into a given endeavor, but "expert" is relative - he might not really know all that much about single malts and think that since you can't buy Jura at the local liquor store, it must be exotic and fantastic. Who knows?

Personally, I'm not a Jura fan, but I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 pm

I quite like the 12yr Jura. Not great stuff but quite drinkable.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Jura has not been one of my favorites.... but.....

Any whisky given as a gift that I have not tried before, is from a friend. At least they thought about it enough to get a single malt. Give it a good try, if you don't like it, mix it up in a whisky sour.

If they ask you about it, let them know what you thought, and talk to them about what you really like. You may get more free stuff in the future.....

cheers.
Last edited by mikeymad on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymad

Postby Richiyaado » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Okay, okay... next hurricane, I'll drink the stuff!
Richiyaado

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder