Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

headaches

All your whisky related questions answered here.

headaches

Postby MOLYDENUM1 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:15 pm

can anyone answer why some bourbons give me a headache while some don't, example old rip van winkle i'm fine but buffalo truce my heads pounding the next morning.

someone said it could be the rye content but i'm unsure, but i'm sure you guys can point me in the right direction.
MOLYDENUM1

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:07 pm

I have a theory that aged CS bourbon messes me up like nothing else.

I shared half a bottle of William Larue Weller, with a friend and I felt destroyed the next day - and we were dirnking plenty of Stella to stay hydrated ;)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Rankles » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 pm

bamber wrote: and we were dirnking plenty of Stella to stay hydrated ;)

There's your problem... :p

Mixing drinks and drinking Stella in general is bad news. I'm yet to get druink of whisky as I generally only have a couple when I drink it.
Rankles

Postby Fergie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm

C’mom Molydenum surely you know the answer to that one.
Most misinformed persons will try to claim that the answer to your question lies in the amount you are drinking and that you are obviously partaking more of one brand than the other.
Well I don’t subscribe to that theory. The amount of booze that you put away at any one time doesn’t count. You can (well at least I can) drink as much as you like, right up to the point of resembling a rubber man, and not have a headache. It is only when you wake up that the headache appears.

Ergo. = Drink doesn’t cause headaches, its sleep that causes headaches.

Cure = Don't go to sleep. :wink:

Cheers. :D
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby MOLYDENUM1 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 pm

mmm not quite the reply i was looking for,

in the example owvw and buffalo trace was used, the control amount was 150ml of whisky, not both on the same night i must add, i have tried this many times, well to the end of the bottle anyway and it was still giving me an headache.

I just wondered if any of you guys knew why this was happening?
MOLYDENUM1

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Fergie wrote:It is only when you wake up that the headache appears.

Ergo. = Drink doesn’t cause headaches, its sleep that causes headaches.

Cure = Don't go to sleep. :wink:

Faulty logic there, Fergie--obviously it's waking up that's the problem.

Can't answer your question, Moly, as I don't know much about bourbon. I have found that Lagavulin gives me immediate sinus discomfort lately, but that's a different thing. Maybe there are some trace constituents that affect you particularly.
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 am

It's a question of how much you drunk :wink:
Whiskybembel

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:39 am

I was talking to a wine maker in perchemant in france last week, and he told us that by law the french have to ferment out all the sugars in there wine hence they taste drier than wines from other countries. The benefit to the consumer is that you don't get headaches from drinking french wines. Perhaps the principle also applies to whisky as well and that some distillers ferment out more of the natural sugars than others.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:45 am

I don't know how the levels are different among whiskies, but isn't it the amount of tannins that gives you hangovers? The more coloured the spirit, the bigger the hangover.
Aidan

Postby kallaskander » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi there,

interesting point, les but here the analogy between wine and whiskey does end. In making whiskey a question of production is the yield meaning that you want to get the most whiskey out of your wash or distillers beer. Therefore all the sugars that there are are fermented and converted to alcohol. I would say that it lies in the charring of the barrels. The more charring the more wood sugars which go into the whiskey during maturation.
Anyway the sugars in grapes and the sugars in corn wheat barley and rye are not totaly identical. That typical corn sweetness of bourbon does it really come from the corn itself or is it something that comes from maturation?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 pm

Well to make matters even more confusing...

I have 2 bottles from the Buffalo Trace stable.

A bottle of George T Stagg and a bottle of William L Weller.

Both are very high in ABV.

I can drink the WLW straight without any consequences, however when it comes to the GTS even when I dilute it down to 40-46% I still get a head ache the next day and it may only of been a dram of it too.

Go figure :?: :roll:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Well, then, obviously it's the water!
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:34 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, then, obviously it's the water!

Dratt!!! but of course I should of known :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:30 am

I had George T Stagg whiskey last night and my sinus swelled up! Maybe it's something else, but I don't feel great today.
Aidan

Postby drfred » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Well John- Just exactly how much Geo T did you have? Remember, moderation is the key!

Cheers,

Fred
drfred

Postby Elliot » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 am

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

That typical corn sweetness of bourbon does it really come from the corn itself or is it something that comes from maturation?

Greetings
kallaskander

After having sampled white dog at several distilleries, I find that the corn is apparent but is much drier and more restrained than once it has been influenced by the new oak. That has a lot to do with the barrel char and the sugars in the wood, if I'm not mistaken.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Thesh » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 am

Rankles wrote:
bamber wrote: and we were dirnking plenty of Stella to stay hydrated ;)

There's your problem... :p

Mixing drinks and drinking Stella in general is bad news. I'm yet to get druink of whisky as I generally only have a couple when I drink it.

I would agree on the Stella, but some spirits just like to give me headaches more than others. Last Friday, I had a double of Crown royal, two Budweisers, a Heineken, Newcastle Brown, a couple shots of Cuervo, and a margarita, and woke up with only a mild headache. Three or four drinks of Wild Turkey Rye, however, and I wake up with a noticeably worse headache.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 am

Just looking at a bottle of bourbon gives me a headache!

I have now learnt to drink with my eyes closed . . .

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:29 am

drfred wrote:Well John- Just exactly how much Geo T did you have? Remember, moderation is the key!

Cheers,

Fred

Fred, not very much, but it turns out that this was just the begining of a cold, my second in a week. I probably need another George T Stagg to boost my imune system.

Actually, the George T Stagg is a little too strongly flavored for me.
Aidan

Postby Fergie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Got a cold ?

Drink a bottle of whisky.

Doesn't cure the cold.

But you forget that you've got it. :P

Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:09 pm

I'd always have a hot whiskey in the pub when I have a cold. They put lemon and cloves in it, aswell as sugar. Very nice.
Aidan

Postby philbert » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:31 am

Seriously, for a second.

Oban does the same to me, even though I like it as a single malt. Don't know if it was coincident with anything else. I but it's off my list for now.

The short list for now is
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
Caol Ila 12
philbert

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:31 pm

By now I know not to mix alcohols. IE dont have a few scotches and then a couple beers and then a few glasses of wine.

It also helps to have a HUGE JUG of water and finish it all, right before you go to bed. You wont wake up as dehydrated and your liver will thank u.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Elagabalus wrote:By now I know not to mix alcohols. IE dont have a few scotches and then a couple beers and then a few glasses of wine.It also helps to have a HUGE JUG of water and finish it all, right before you go to bed. You wont wake up as dehydrated and your liver will thank u.

Yes, I too find that mixing wine and beer, or wine and spirit can have a terrible effect the day after. Beer and whisky is ok though - but I also do the same as you and have plenty of water, but between each dram instead of before going to bed
Mr Fjeld

Postby duckmcf » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:38 am

I recently went to Japan and found the same thing with Japanese whisky. We drank loads of the stuff at $10 per bottle and not a headache between us.

The way it was explained to me is that the Japanese are super up tight about the methanol content of their whisky and so they let more of the foreshot go before capturing the middle cut.

Now given that every distillery has there own recipe when it comes to foreshot, middle cut and feints it's reasonable to expect that the methanol content of various whisky's would also vary.....

just a theory....
duckmcf

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder