Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie 12

Postby denec » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi all,

I been reading and browsing your boards for a few days now. I have always wanted to try a single malt, I am usually a vodka drinker(ketel one), but wanted to try something different.

At first I tried Glenfiddich 12 year since they had a small bottle of it at the liquor store. It was ok, nothing too impressive to be honest. It wasnt bad, but it did not really impress me in fact I had to drink it with ice.

So then I was reading all the newbie topics and saw the different ones you were recommending, anyway my store only had the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood, I was looking for Highland Park.

So last night I opened the bottle and I was shocked at how enjoyable it was. I think I am hooked now lol.

I even drank it last night warm without no ice which I was not able to do with the glenfiddich.

So just wanted to say thanks for all the advice!
denec

Postby Dubois » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Hello and wellcome to this forum !
Indeed the Glenfiddich 12 yrs is nothing special,you should try the 15 and 18 Yrs...
As for the Highland Park 12 yrs,this is a firstclass choice:it's one of the best drams out there,together with its older brother,the 18 Yrs.
About the Balvenie 12 yrs,I am not especially in love with it,as I prefer by far the 15 Yrs Single Barrel.

Enjoy !
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 pm

Welcome Denec, hope you have great fun with your new discovery :)

What did you not like about Glenfiddich? I find it a very pleasent dram to be quite honest but as you say not overly impressive. What makes me curious is that you found that the Balvinie more interesting where I would think the opposite. Don't worry you will find that we all dissagree on everything here :lol:

However if you are only starting off remember that the more you get into it the more you will broaden your spectrum and get into more sterner stuff.

Good Luck and enjoy :wink:

P.S. maybe try a Jameson 12yo also for a bit of fun to see how you get on with that. Don't use regular Jameson as a guide though.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lexvo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Balvanie 12Y DW was my first single malt too and I think it is a great whisky.

Glenfiddich 12Y is quite OK but not special for me. I find the Glenfiddich 18Y very nice however.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby denec » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:01 pm

Yeah I might try Glenfiddich 18yr next not sure. I cannot say for sure what I did not like about Glenfiddich 12, I enjoyed it overall and would drink it if somsone gave me a bottle, but I dont see a reason to purchae it in future

I would really like to try Highland Park if I can find that.

But for now I will enjoy Balvenie 12

Thanks
denec

Postby Thomas H. » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 pm

The Balvenie 12 year old Double Wood is very nice IMO. Good allrounder, nice for regular everyday sipping. :)

The Highland Park 12 years is good too, you'll like it.

As for Glenfiddich, try and find one of those packs with the 12, 15 and 18 year old, in 5cl bottles. Glenfiddich released on with all three, in 5 cl bottles, with a Glencairn glass. You can sample all three and find out which one you like best. :)
Thomas H.

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi denec:

Welcome to the forum! Both the Balvenie DW and the Highland Park 12 are nice drams. I don't think you'd be dissapointed by either, but most here would prefer the HP. I'd go for the Balvenie 12 in a shot, but you can't miss with either.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby denec » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks all for suggestions.

Actually I stopped off at another liquor store by me, they had the Highland Park 12 year for $44, the Balvenie 12 was $44 as well at other store so same price.

I did not pick it up yet, wife would kill me lol...i will pick it up maybe in a week or two
denec

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:07 am

Denec, I'm afraid you're letting yourself in for a lifetime of spousal homicide. The odd $44 bottle is just the beginning! Just wait until you find yourself trying to hide a $200 bottle, or an unending string of $75 bottles. Do yourself a favor and quit now! You can't take this much pleasure. Or, more to the point, your wife can't take you taking this much pleasure! :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:11 pm

Get them to gift wrap it in the store and make a fake note to yourself. Burn all your bank records. Start buying cheaper and poorer quality clothes for your children and only by own-brand products from the the supermarket. Oh, leave the heating off and wear coats around the house during the winter.
Aidan

Postby Rankles » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Fuunnily enough, Balvenie 12 and Highland Park were my first two single malts and I love them both. Currently on the Highland Park at the moment and planning to get a full bottle of Balvenie next. Try the 15 year too, a great whisky.
Rankles

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Hey Denec,

Take over the minor cleaning tasks and stick the bottle behind the rest of the glass cleaner, sticky removal solution, etc. Best with green colored bottles (think Laphroaig) :))

On the Balvenie and Glenfiddich 12, I have to admit that I would rather go with the Glenfiddich. Cant put a finger on it, but the Balvenie seems to have even less character. But as others have stated, its all up to your taste, smell, etc., preferences.
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Postby JWFokker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 am

If you liked the Balvenie Doublewood, try a Macallan or a Longmorn next. Highland Park is quite good too, but too similar to the Balvenie Doublewood to make it a worthwhile purchase. It's all about trying new flavors with single malts. The best way to go is to spend an evening or a few in a bar that stocks lots of different single malts, as buying a bottle without having any idea whether you'll like it or not can be an expensive proposition. As much as I love single malts, there are several bottles I truly regret purchasing.
JWFokker

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:36 am

yeah, that's a good way to try lots of malts without having to gamble on a bottle. Also, look out for tastings being held in your area.
Aidan

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:32 pm

JWFokker wrote:If you liked the Balvenie Doublewood, try a Macallan or a Longmorn next. Highland Park is quite good too, but too similar to the Balvenie Doublewood to make it a worthwhile purchase. It's all about trying new flavors with single malts. The best way to go is to spend an evening or a few in a bar that stocks lots of different single malts, as buying a bottle without having any idea whether you'll like it or not can be an expensive proposition. As much as I love single malts, there are several bottles I truly regret purchasing.

IF you have a bar that has what you have not tried. In Charlotte, the best selection in town only has between 20-30 bottles. To the best of my knowledge, I have only NOT tried the Auchentashen 21 and the Glenfiddich 30... At least now, there are too. Also, in my eyes, with all due respect, HP is very differnt from the Balvinie. Yes, honey notes in both, but the HP (especially the 18) gives a nice peaty kick that can serve as a intro to the Island Style (if there really is such a thing), or at least accostom someone to peat before trying the Islays..

Last night I taskted Glen Moray 12...Nice and malty on the nose, some spicy notes, a bit of sweetness. The mouth is also malty sweet at first, with long spicy/pepper notes moving into the finish, which is long, spicy and satisfying. The only downside, a touch of sourness middle end of the mouth, moving ito the finish. A good basic dram.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:55 pm

Boy, there's a valiant attempt at spin--"Honey, I'm going out to a bar to try malts. I'll save money that way!" Think she'll buy it? :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Les Paul » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 am

Hi friends.......I just bought the Balvenie DW 12 today. I am really looking forward to trying it. Will report back after tasting.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:53 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Boy, there's a valiant attempt at spin--"Honey, I'm going out to a bar to try malts. I'll save money that way!" Think she'll buy it? :?

Tried it..she didn't buy it.

I think this is an excellent malt. To me the the vanilla,spice(nutmeg) and sherry all take a turn, a perfect compliment to a slice of pumpkin pie in the fall. If you're so inclined.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:42 pm

I too think that HP and Balvinie are worlds apart. HP 12 is a much bigger boy compared to the mellow Balvinie 12 DW but that is just me I suppose.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Les Paul » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 am

Balvenie DW 12 was fantastic......very mellow, some caramel, honey...just overall fantastic. I prefer this over the HP 12.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:41 pm

Les Paul wrote:Balvenie DW 12 was fantastic......very mellow, some caramel, honey...just overall fantastic. I prefer this over the HP 12.

Your education is advancing well and you are ready for the next examination:-

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to obtain a bottle of Balvenie 15 and HP18.
Consume as before and report back in due course :D
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:10 pm

pouranother wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Boy, there's a valiant attempt at spin--"Honey, I'm going out to a bar to try malts. I'll save money that way!" Think she'll buy it? :?

Tried it..she didn't buy it.

I'm a lucky man. Now that we have a decent malts bar in town, though it's quite a distance from our home, I typically say, "Honey, I'm going out to try a few malts. Will you drive me there and back?" Usually the answer is yes and she brings some reading material or work with her. I have to be careful to not try it too often and, of course, make sure I return the favor by partaking in her choice of activities. I've not yet been able to get her to pay for my tab, but I'm still getting a good deal :wink:

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby SongSmith » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:54 am

I love the whole Balvenie range -- it has always maintained my interest -- If I go somewhere and someone asks "Would you like a scotch?" ---- I tense up and get the feeling of impending doom - If I say "Yes" I think - are they going to bring out a bottle of lighter fluid - or aviation Kerosene??? (Bells)

When someone opens a bottle of Doublewood or The founders reserve... My muscles relax and I can be happy again.

Only once has a friend opened the Single Barrel 15 yr for me ----wow, such a nice dram.

The Doublewood is a fine malt, but I am finding inconsistencies in the bottlings year on year. Sometimes it has a nice start - middle and finish - sometimes it seems "One noted" .... could be my palete on occasions tho.
SongSmith

Postby Escott » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:09 pm

JWFokker wrote:If you liked the Balvenie Doublewood, try a Macallan or a Longmorn next. Highland Park is quite good too, but too similar to the Balvenie Doublewood to make it a worthwhile purchase. It's all about trying new flavors with single malts. The best way to go is to spend an evening or a few in a bar that stocks lots of different single malts, as buying a bottle without having any idea whether you'll like it or not can be an expensive proposition. As much as I love single malts, there are several bottles I truly regret purchasing.
This is hilarious. Where in Kingston NY will you find a good selection of Scotch?

A friend had a restaurant on B'way which is now closed. I went in there and he had the best selection of Paint Thinner I have ever run across at his bar which he called a "Scotch Club". I invited him to my house to taste some real Scotch and a good meal.

I have 20 Scotches from 12 yo's to 45 year old Macphails distilled in 1938 in my restaurant in the Dominican Republic. I haven't seen anywhere near my selection in Kingston. I have a home on Pearl St.

I happen to like the Balvenie 12 year old which I have just recently had brought in from the states. It is very nice!

Escott
Escott

Postby aggiesipper » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:23 pm

I really like the Balvenie 21. It is available for about 83$ around here. Compared to the the Macs, I think the Balvenies are a much better deal
aggiesipper

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:25 pm

aggiesipper wrote:I really like the Balvenie 21. It is available for about 83$ around here. Compared to the the Macs, I think the Balvenies are a much better deal

Keep quite so and pretend you don't like it ... therefore maintaining a non cult like status for the Balvenie and keeping it at a reasonable price :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby aggiesipper » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:29 am

im with you on that. Trouble is, when I have it strapped to me with an IV, its kind of tough to keep it under wraps.. :lol:
aggiesipper

Postby denec » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:15 pm

I know I have not posted in a while, but I just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yo, got it for $37 at another store I found that has a much larger selection of single malts. They also had the Highland 18 yo for $57, but figure let me try the 12 first

I like it a lot, it is similar to the Balvenie, but after drinking for a while I would say this is a step up and I prefer the HP over the Balvenie

How much difference is the 18 yo? Should I go for something different altogether? or go for 18 yo next?
denec

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:49 pm

HP 18 is one of the really highly regarded malts around here, although of course individual tastes will vary. Click on Tasting Notes in my signature and look it up--I'm sure there's no shortage of comment. I'm not sure how the price you quote compares to average, but it strikes me that $57 for such a top-notch malt is a bargain. Macallan 18 is at least double that, and most of Diageo's standard 10-15yo's are going for more than that now. Go for it, absolutely!

HP 25 is one of my very few all-time faves, but it will set you back around $200.
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:00 am

I remember liking HP 12yo at one time, but HP 18yo has completely taken its place. The 12yo doesn't excite me any more. At my house, there will always be an open bottle of HP 18yo.

Also try Talisker 18yo. Similar balanced, complex style. No one element dominates either malt.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:09 am

Binny's shows HP 18 at $87; Park Ave at $70, which is quite a disparity. If you can really get it for $57, I say clean 'em out.

I wonder if this is a clearance price, to make way for the newly-packaged HP. Supposedly there is no difference in the 18.
Deactivated Member

Don't overlook

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi denec,
I'm a little late to this thread, but.........
Anyway, I had to laugh at some of the post in this thread, yup you are in for a $$$$ time of it, but you can limit the damage. here's my 2 cents for what it's worth (not much)
Don't over look the cheap-o blends, Johnny Red, Famous Grouse, Dewer's, etc....uh, ouch, I can feel the punches coming at me now, I know I have "pee-on", "common slob" written all over me for suggesting such a thing, but hey....I have some really nice bottles of the 'good stuff' in the closet, but I also have some blends.
I enjoy blends, sure they don't delivier the big punch of a good single malt but so what, you don't have to shoot for the stars everynite. I enjoy just having a couple shots or as many as I want of a blend, where I don't have to worry about stuff like.....gosh....this sh*t cost me a fortune and I shouldn't be drinking it so fast, I'd better savour every little drop, nope sometimes I just want to drink some scotch and listen to music and a lot of times I just want a blend, sorry I like them, as long as you don't get the real nasty stuff.
Besides drinking blends on a regular occasions seems to keep the magic in the good single malt stuff, when I drink my single malts there is a specialness about the occasion. So don't over look the blends, and don't get hungup in that "gotta have the best and try 'em all" frame of mind. Take and enjoy the blends for what they are, I find them perfectly enjoyable, and like I said, you don't have to fret over how much they cost, or get to feeling all guility and self-indulgent about drinkin them, or turn it into some kind of tasting ritual, besides they do tend to keep the magic in the better single malts by comparision.
As I like to say "ALL scotch is good....some just better than others"
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:38 am

Johnny

It's nice to see you make your point without going over the top or being confrontational, because it's actually a very good one.

Basically it comes down to what you like. If you or I like something no-one else likes then no-one can say we are wrong. Similarly if anyone else likes something we hate then we have no place to say they are wrong. Yes, we can discuss the relative merits of various whiskies but in the end we like what we like.

Now I don't like blends. I don't like Rye and I don't like bourbon (except as a source of barrels for Scotch.) Every whisky I've ever tried with a grain component just gives me an awful taste near the top of the back of the throat. This includes cheap blends, premium blends, bourbons and very expensive, very old single grain Scotches. So I drink malt. This doesn't make me a snob any more than your preferences make you a common slob.

Yes we will all continue to discuss the relative merits of various whiskies of all types. We will continue to disagree and occasionally argue but in the end we should all just respect each others tastes, unless of course, they don't like whisky at all, cos that's just stupid...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:55 am

Yeah, Johnyy, you're actually not so wacky when you put your mind to it! :P

Laddie, I'm with you--barley, barley, barley, and nothing but barley. If folks like that corn likker, good on them, but it's not for me.
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:13 am

I would rather have a dram of good whisky than five drams of JW Red.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder