Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

ARDBEG 1965 the Heart of Islay only 261 bottles in the world

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

ARDBEG 1965 the Heart of Islay only 261 bottles in the world

Postby TheHoodedFang » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:22 pm

Hello All, as an avid Ardbeg adorer I decided to register to win the right to purchase this rare Ardbeg. I actually won. Now unfortunatley I can't afford to keep this Ardbeg, so I was wondering if any whisky lover out there could give me any advice on selling it. Thanks for your time.
TheHoodedFang

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm not sure where you'd sell it. I'd imagine most, if not all, people who applied won, considering the price of it.

I think this will be available for a while, although I could be wrong, so it might be hard to sell. Who knows, though. Best of luck.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:22 am

Have your financial circumstances really changed that much over the past fortnight?

How unlucky...
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:11 pm

Tell them you thought it was a raffle for a free bottle.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:33 pm

bamber wrote:Tell them you thought it was a raffle for a free bottle.

nice one bamber .....maybe they'll have the same sense of humor about it as you do :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:40 pm

It's amusing to see that Ardbeg is going to auction bottle number 1 - wouldn't it be embarrassing if (as I fully expect) it sells for less than they charged winners of their "lucky lottery".

I have a feeling there might be quite a few Ardbeg 1965s coming up for auction soon...
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Nick Brown wrote:It's amusing to see that Ardbeg is going to auction bottle number 1 - wouldn't it be embarrassing if (as I fully expect) it sells for less than they charged winners of their "lucky lottery".

I have a feeling there might be quite a few Ardbeg 1965s coming up for auction soon...

Not wanting to open this whole can of worms again but I hope your right.

Maybe then they will decide to sell it at a more 'reasonable' out rageous price :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:33 pm

It would be funny if it went for less ....
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby TheHoodedFang » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:28 pm

This little ole whisky drinker is getting the distinct impression that I should pass this "oppourtunity' on to someone else. I guess I got really excited by the advertisment and a chance at a "new" Ardbeg. All right then, I won't buy it. Thanks for your help.
TheHoodedFang

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Fang

Don't forget that all this is just speculating. I don't know for sure if all the stock is taken up, and there are a lot of people out there with plenty of money for this kind of thing, so you'd never know.

I just think it's a bit of a gamble spending this kind of money.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Yes, there seems to be an Ardbeg backlash going on around here; I'd take it with a grain of salt (or maybe a drop of water). That said, it is a risk, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. In this case, it's probably better to risk being sorry you didn't buy it than to risk being sorry you did.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:22 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yes, there seems to be an Ardbeg backlash going on around here; I'd take it with a grain of salt (or maybe a drop of water). That said, it is a risk, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. In this case, it's probably better to risk being sorry you didn't buy it than to risk being sorry you did.

That's known as the minimax strategy - minimizing your maximum losses.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:05 pm

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm lashing out at Ardbeg. I feel about it what I've always felt about it - it's a very good distillery. In my opinion, it gets more credit than it deserves, but it's still a very worthy distillery. It's also a business and can sell its whisky at whatever price it thinks it will sell or at a price that will give it exposure. Everyone at the distillery deserves credit for its success.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:47 pm

I asked somebody who has actually this whisky and they said that it is really nothing special, but eventually 261 collectors will be thrilled.

I took photos of a bottle.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 am

Lawrence wrote:I asked somebody who has actually this whisky and they said that it is really nothing special, but eventually 261 collectors will be thrilled.

Indeed - even Jim Murray only scored it at 95!
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 am

a note to the hooded fang ......

if you cant sell this option to buy the 1965 and you dont have the money, i have a 'Get of Out jail' card for you......

Ardbeg wont send whisky over to the US and Canada......

Therefore, how can it be sent to you :lol:
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:16 am

Nick Brown wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I asked somebody who has actually this whisky and they said that it is really nothing special, but eventually 261 collectors will be thrilled.

Indeed - even Jim Murray only scored it at 95!

It gets 90 for just being called Ardbeg.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 am

My point entirely. Merely good Ardbegs get 96!
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 pm

When you read Murray's tasting notes, you will notice that they are quite emotional.
The Maison du Whisky in France rated it at 85.

Corbuso

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:41 pm

Just noticed that a bottle of Ardbeg Still Young is at 125.00 Euro on the WhiskyAuction site. :shock:

Now that is cracked as it is still fairly widely available for well under 50.00Euro. :?

Just goes to show little some people research the bottle they are buying :roll:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:58 pm

It's crazy and you see it all the time.

If I had the energy I'd flog Uigedail on ebay - I've seen it go for over £60 ! Could be really cheeky and get it delivered straight to them from the whisky exchange :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:04 pm

There's also someone who has cracked open a peat pack and is selling each miniature separately - with the Kildalton at a buy it now price of 25 quid. I've also seen people selling Friends of Laphroaig membership for a fiver.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:19 am

Nick Brown wrote:"Let's bathe in malt whisky: covet gold finery
through the eyes of a Jackdaw, dressed to the nines."

Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Just to let you all know that the Caley Bar, part of the famous Caledonian Hilton Hotel on Princes Street Edinburgh has a bottle of Ardbeg 1965 behind the bar. If. like me you can't afford a full bottle, at least you can have a taste here.

Slainte
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:45 pm

martin grant wrote:Just to let you all know that the Caley Bar, part of the famous Caledonian Hilton Hotel on Princes Street Edinburgh has a bottle of Ardbeg 1965 behind the bar. If. like me you can't afford a full bottle, at least you can have a taste here.

Slainte

I don't think I could afford a taste either... :lol:

It probably work out at well over £100.00 a shot at bar prices. I think I'll stick to buying a full bottle of something else thank you very much.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Most bars seem to do drams at around 10% of the bottle price - so I'd expect a figure of around £210 a dram.

BTW - I spoke to the Ardbeg chap at Whisky Live and he said he could have sold his Scotland allocation three times over - so perhaps demand was higher than I expected. I still think we'll need to wait a couple of years to gauge real value at auction.
Deactivated Member

Really a 'winner'?

Postby senselessthing » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:17 pm

I also "won" the Ardbeg '65 lottery and was forced to seriously consider whether I wanted to take advatage of my 'luck'. When I was called by the distillery I cheekily asked them how many people had entered the draw for teh 50 bottles available from the distillery. To my shock and suprise they told me - 112 applications.

Doesn't seem like unprecidented demand to me! If it had been 3000 applicants then maybe I would have thought twice but on this occasion I politely declined, saving my £2 grand for something better.. I'm sure a good proportion of the 112 also entered the ballot for fun rather than with a serious aspiration to get hold of a bottle.

I agree with the suggestion that the on-line auction sites are insane - I bought 6 bottles of 17yo Arbeg a few months ago at £60 when some stock breifly came on sale on Ardbeg's on-line shop. Even while the stock was avialable at this price bottles were routinely going for £80+, I notice that the current going price is £100-130!

Apparently the 2003 'Committee Reserve' I bought for £100 is fetching £250+ on eBay, which has insensed me as it is now too valuable to drink! :D

With this insanity in mind I recently got hold of 6 "peat packs" from the distillery shop for £15 a pop in the sale... I haven't split them open yet as I figure if I hang onto them until the 17yo minatures are also out of stock the value of the intact box will also spiral out of control.

I think it's all daft - whisky is surely for drinking not collecting... but while there are fools out there I may as well take advantage eh?

ST
senselessthing

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:23 pm

ST - I agree with everything you say with one exception. If you buy a whisky for drinking, you ought to value it at the price you originally paid for it, whether or not it has subsequently risen or fallen in value. You should only value it at resale value if you bought it for the purpose of resale. If you allow yourself to transfer drinking stock to the collectible stock, you'll only be drinking the dregs.

NB - I am prone to gross generalizations. Forgive me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:18 pm

The Peat Pack - am I wrong in thinking that they initially said it would be sold at the distillery alone? Now I see it in every other decent off licence...so what's going on?
And Serendipity - wasn't that supposed to be a one-off "accident"? It's lasting very well in that case...

Anyway, if you bought the 1965, take heart. Some Russians I know bought a bottle and intend to hammer through it at a retirement dinner in Moscow quite soon. So that'll be one less for the auction market!

The Glenmorangie MD was quoted recently in the FT as saying they could and should have charged more. Watch out for more of this nonsense then!
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:42 pm

If there's any nonsense about it, it's in the number of people willing to pay that price. What the Glenmo MD said strikes me as very reasonable. Why do we blame them when we, the consumers (speaking broadly) are the ones who are nuts?

112 people entering a lottery for the privilege of spending £2000 sounds like pretty heavy demand to me. Think how many would enter if it were for a chance at a free bottle.

Serendipity is lasting very well because no one wants it! Marketing can put lipstick on a pig, and often enough convince plenty of people to kiss it, but it can't make the pig fly. Or something like that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:47 pm

When pigs fly, lip sticked or not, I'll buy a bottle of Ardbeg 1965. If people want to pay that price then good for them, it's their money and they can spend it how they want. But in the mean time I'll stick to Ardbeg 10 and Ardbeg U. My 1977 bottles are carefully set aside for future drinking.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:112 people entering a lottery for the privilege of spending £2000 sounds like pretty heavy demand to me.

The question is what people were expecting to get for their £2000 - was it a bottle of whisky or was it [potential] profit? If it was profit, then it becomes almost self-fulfilling. Those who didn't get the bottle will pay more on the expectation of further profit, and so on until the bubble bursts. This is what happens when people have spare money and don't know what to do with it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 pm

No argument here, Nick. And I'd be very wary of investing in whisky right now--usually by the time people latch onto the fact that there's a collector's market, it's too late to get in. qv Beanie Babies. A little different with consumable items like whisky, but not that much, I don't think. Just my gut feeling.
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:05 pm

this chap is being optimistic .....

http://collection-collectors.vivastreet ... -whiskey-1
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:03 am

To increase his chances he should also say it includes a 5cl mini to taste or also collect, and white gloves to handle the museum glass encasing this beautiful bottle, and the black wooden case that also protects that.
Di Blasi

Next

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder