Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Why so few Lagavulin Indies?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Why so few Lagavulin Indies?

Postby sku » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:21 pm

I have seen very few indie bottlings of Lagavulin. At my local store, there is a mystery malt, Spirit of Islay(?), which is supposed to be Lag, but I have barely ever seen any from the major indies. Does Lagavulin not sell to indies? Do they just get bought up quickly or maybe they don't make it out of Scotland. What gives?
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:17 pm

For one thing, Diageo do not seem to like their Classic Malts appearing as independent bottlings--you don't see much of the others, either. So they won't sell, or are very careful who they sell to. For another, Lagavulin has been in short supply in recent years, and there simply hasn't been much of any available to brokers--it has all gone into the OB (anything of any age, anyway).

There are lots of unspecified Islays that are supposed to be Lags. I suspect the vast majority of them are Caol Ilas. Salespersons, aware of the great popularity of Lagavulin, are perfectly happy to say ambiguous things like "could be Lagavulin" and let the public believe what it wants.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:26 am

Hi there,

Mr T is right as usual. What can be added is that many Islay mystery malts may may have started their lives as Lagavulins but later mutated to become Caol Ilas because of the short supply.
In short, the bottle content can vary. On the other hand there are some old contracts that are still valid between the distillery and independent bottlers so some might have genuine Lagavulin to bottle.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder