Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay malts

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Islay malts

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 am

Which malt best exemplifies Islay? Not the best one, but what would you recommend to somebody who wanted to experience a dram from this region. Sorry, if this topic has already been visited.

I've had all of the standard expressions(Laphroaig,Lagavulin, etc...), and I would say Laphroaig 10 is the best pure example of an Islay malt.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:40 am

I think I will go with Ardbeg 10. Austere like how "they say" Islay were, in the "good ol' days" Certianly more like the Laphroaig of the 80s and the Lagavulin 12 of the 80s than the current expressions of those distilleries.

All are good, but Ardbeg 10 is in your face, ala the style.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:58 am

I don't see how you can answer this question. Any of the Kildalton malts, or Caol Ila, will give the impression you want, but no one of them can "exemplify" all of the others. Each is unique. Certainly Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain will not be represented by any of those, nor even Bowmore. This is exactly why I think regional classification has a very limited usefulness.
Deactivated Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:16 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't see how you can answer this question. Any of the Kildalton malts, or Caol Ila, will give the impression you want, but no one of them can "exemplify" all of the others. Each is unique. Certainly Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain will not be represented by any of those, nor even Bowmore. This is exactly why I think regional classification has a very limited usefulness.

I don't mean as a regional classification, I mean, which one jumps, slaps you in the face and says "Welcome to the island of Islay". Now, I have no personal experience of the place, but, from my distillery tours(via bottles) I choose Laphroaig.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:35 am

My answer is the same. Any of them. None of them.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Fachan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:05 am

Pouranother,

I agree totally with Mr. T, there is so much more to the malts of Islay than the peaty Kildalton malts that everyone believes is typical.
If that is what you like, all good and well but they cannot be compared to a Bunna or Bruichladdich.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:15 am

When most people talk about the Islay taste, they mean the taste of Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Their iodine and smoke is rarely matched by a malt from the rest of scotland, so that would be my answer.

Bowmore is probably in the middle of the Islay flavor spectrum, so that's another answer.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:03 am

I too have to say that there is not definitive answer to this one. It all comes down, as always, to personal taste.

When I think of Islay, all of them come to mind, each malt represents a certain part of what Islay is. Same goes for the Highlands, Speyside, Islands..... All of them.
Thomas H.

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:17 am

But when you hear someone say that they particularly like Islay malts, especially if they're joe punter, they are not referring to bunnahabin. They're usually talking about the three peat monsters.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby maverick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:32 pm

For me Islay= Laphroaig and I guess that's sort of naive but the reason I say that is because I think it's the best know(among non whiskey enthusiasts) of the bunch, atleast among my friends.

Also because Laphroaig 10 was the first whiskey I really liked and got me interested in whiskey and other Islay distilleries
maverick

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Just goes to show how subjective it all is, maverick. If you'd left the brand name blank in your post, I'd have filled it with Lagavulin.

And incidentally, Mr Picky wishes to remind you that there is no "e" in Scotch or Canadian whisky. :wink: I wrote a limerick once to tweak my Irish friend Bob, the gist of which was that my whisky should contain no water, ice, or e. Wish I could remember it! No offense to any who like any of those things.

Mr Picky's an annoying pedantic bugger, isn't he? I don't know how I live with him.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:25 pm

In defense of the 'Laddie.....

Having been to Islay several times to me Bruichladdich is everything Islay just like it's peat-monster siblings. Where it lacks in peat it makes up for in the essence of a coastal windswept Islay.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder