Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

End of an Era !

General chat and talk about whisky.

End of an Era !

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:01 pm

Well it seems like no one from here views the Ardbeg site regularly (probably too busy trying to shoot the place down no doubt...) , i didn't know where to post this as it's news and us mortals arn't allowed to post there .
This was posted yesterday on the Ardbeg site-

Dear Committee Members and friends,

As your Chairman for the last five and a half years I have thoroughly enjoyed watching our beloved Ardbeg grow from a whisky known by a few to a malt increasingly recognised across the world.

Who would have believed this could have happened when I arrived in 1997 with the backing of The Glenmorangie Company to breathe new life into a Distillery that by all measures was nearly lost forever. The transformation in those 9 years has been quite extraordinary, extremely exciting and yes, from time to time a little scary... especially when the roof of the Old Kiln blew off in the hurricane of January 1999!

The passion and enthusiasm you have shown for Ardbeg and indeed the support you have given me and the team at the Distillery has been one of the most rewarding parts of my job. Many of you have made the arduous journey to Islay to wonder along with myself at the remarkable renaissance of this proud Distillery.

In no small measure this is down to you, the Committee, who have spread the word about Ardbeg and its indomitable spirit to the four corners of the globe to the extent that the Committee now numbers some 35,000 members in 112 countries!

So it is with great regret that this note announces my departure from Ardbeg. I have been considering this for some time not because of any dimming of my passion for The Ultimate Islay Malt - more because there comes a time in life when it's quite simply time for a change.

I shall be leaving Ardbeg soon to go off to pastures new, but one thing I will always carry with me are memories of all the conversations, e-mails, tastings, discussions, debates and comradeship we have had over the years. My admiration for Ardbeg under Glenmorangie’s stewardship remains as strong as ever.

I wish my successor well and go off to my next adventure bolstered with pride in all that I and the team at the Distillery and Old Kiln have achieved together. I, of course, remain a member of the Committee and look forward to keeping in touch.

Slainte

Stuart Thomson

I was quite shocked at first when i read this but i wish my friend Stuart all the best where ever he may land next , he's an all round good guy , and they're few and far between , and myself and my wife are glad we can call him a friend. One thing for sure Ardbeg won't be the same without him around !

Now all that remains is cue the conspiricy theorists, rumour mongers , gossipers etc etc .......
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I saw that on the Ardbeg website. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

Does anyone know why he left? Is it just straightforward? I'm sure he's a man in demand.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:34 pm

I have the impression from what I've read here and there that he and his wife has been instrumental in developing the resurrected Ardbeg. I'm sure the new owners of Glenmorangie Plc are professional enough but I cannot stop wondering if an upper market brand like LMVH will make the products costlier? I'm sure there will be many good opportunities in the whisky business for a couple like Mr & Mrs Thomson.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:47 pm

I wish them well, I'm quite sure the move is simply for persoanl reasons, they've done a great job bringing the distillery back to life.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:43 pm

I have just seen this message elsewhere and was really surprised.
I have met Stuart and he was a great amabssador for Ardbeg, always coming across as someone who loved his job, loved Ardbeg and as a total professional.

I also wish him and Jackie luck in their next venture.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby kildalton » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:16 pm

I saw it...
I'm very dubious about the way ardbeg seems to be taking....

1965 it's a sad example.
Anyway I hope I'm wrong...

I wish best luck to Stuart!
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Ardbeg still produces superb whisky and will do into the future, I'd say.
Aidan

Re: End of an Era !

Postby Whiskana » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Well it seems like no one from here views the Ardbeg site regularly...

I check them and buy from them regularly and noticed this departure too. We'll see what happens...
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Yes, sad to hear and read! Although I've never been over to Ardbeg, or had the pleasure of meeting Jackie and Stuart, it is while they have been there have I fallen in love with Ardbeg! I look forward to hearing what's next for them, and what's next for Ardbeg.
And of course all of the best wishes to them and their family for continued success and happiness.
Di Blasi

Postby corbuso » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I have the impression from what I've read here and there that he and his wife has been instrumental in developing the resurrected Ardbeg. I'm sure the new owners of Glenmorangie Plc are professional enough but I cannot stop wondering if an upper market brand like LMVH will make the products costlier? I'm sure there will be many good opportunities in the whisky business for a couple like Mr & Mrs Thomson.

Christian

Hi Christian,
Knowing what LVMH did to the other businesses they acquired during these last 10 years and what was written about LVMH and Glenmorangie, I would be very surprised if they won't make the products costlier.

Knowing a bit Stuart and Jackie, I would not be surprised if LVMH is not one of main reason for this departure. Will see if he will continue to work for a distillery of the LVMH group or not.

In any case, the work done so far by Mr Thomson, his wife and Glenmorangie is quite impressive and I am confident that there will be some very good Ardbegs in the future

Corbuso

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:57 pm

I don't know Stuart Thompson (although the name rings a bell from Laphroaig...) but perhaps he just felt that he'd done all he could at Ardbeg. The distillery is on a far firmer financial footing now and the new whisky is getting rave reviews. Perhaps the time is right to pass the baton on - people and organizations can get stale if they stay together for too long.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Yes...and we all think Islay is a wonderful place, but none of us live there.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Hopefully he can weave his magic on another lesser distillery and turn it around like he helped do at Ardbeg.

Then we won't have to slag off ardbeg any more :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:38 pm

I've heard (from a reliable person who lives on Islay) that Jackie is staying on, does this mean Stuart is going to manage another Islay distillery?

Time will tell and as I said before I wish them the best.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:40 pm

That would lead to some interesting vatted malts.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Serendipitous
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:Serendipitous

I'm not one for emoticons, but that deserves a :lol:
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:15 pm

C_I wrote:But what will happen with Shortie?

The whole website of Ardbeg is amost built on him.... Needs a serious revamp, or is Shortie coursety of LVMH and are Stuart and Jackie allowed just to take care of him...

I think someone said that Jackie was staying on at Ardbeg so that would indicate not problems for Shortie being shipped out ;-)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:35 pm

Shortie (and Shortie junior ) are owned by some guy at the top of the road , they just sort of took over the place ......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder