Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 21 PortWood

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie 21 PortWood

Postby pouranother » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:47 am

Looking for thread and tasting notes for the 21. Does it not merit any serious consideration?

I opened up a bottle of Glenmorangie PW finish a few days ago, and really enjoy it. I happened to get it when there was only 2 left in the state so replacement is going to be tough. How would you rate the Bavenie 21 compared to the 'Morangie PW?
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 am

They're both peppery and with port derived fruitiness. I think the Balvenie is a bit better integrated and certainly has a lot more oaky spice - especially when the bottle is first opened.

Personally I think the 21yo Portwood Balvenie is an 'interesting' whisky experience, but does not taste as nice as the 15yo SB or the 10yo.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:28 pm

It's really hard for me to put these two in the same category. The Balvenie is twice the age and twice the price and are not really all that similar to each other. If you can find the Balvenie at the old price $80-$90, then it's a good value. When they repositioned it as a premium malt at $125-$135, I motivated towards Glenfarclas 21yo or 25yo as my favorite Speysider of that age range. As Bamber says, the Balvenie 15yo Single Barrel represents their range very well at a comparable price to the Glenmorangie PW, although no Port influence there. The 21 Portwood, while still a great expression with alot of character to show, has priced itself as an occasional dram for me. I did catch 2 bottles before the increase.

The Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish is a good variation on the 10yo, and I'll eventually try the whole range of wood finishes, but don't expect the same style if you try the Balvenie. I have notes on both if you want them.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: Balvenie 21 PortWood

Postby OGOLD » Thu May 27, 2010 6:51 pm

The Balvenie Portwood 21 Year Old won the Silver Medal in the Ultra Premium Scotch category and the Gold Medal in the Single Malt 18-24 category at the 2010 International Whisky Competition! Check put these videos!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiskyCompe ... T4Ly_EIZic

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiskyCompe ... ZlwzCeqifs
OGOLD

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 am

I liked the early editions of the old Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish a lot, and (fortunately) still have a full bottle stashed away in the back of the liquor cabinet. Hard to beat its overall smoothness and those lovely Turkish delight notes on the finish.

For me, the newer Quinta Ruban seems quite a bit spicier and a little rougher around the edges, likely due to lessening the average age of the casks employed as well as opting for a higher proof and no chill filtering (two strategies I normally appreciate... But in this case...).

The 21 Year Old Balvenie Port Wood? Simply one of the best-crafted, smoothest flowing, most complex and classiest whiskies around. But 'Oh' the asking price!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:42 am

I regard it as excellent and therefore worth the money. Buy it! It will not disappoint.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby newwhiskyworld » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

For me teh BV Portwood is one of my very favourite Malts of all. It is not cheap but it never disapoints. My comments from another post:

Stunning. An amazing nose full of sweetness and deep red fruit. Tastes incredible with the usual sweetness and honey of The Balvenie and the finish is full of the contributions from a port pipe - deep red wine and port.

Jonny

www.newwhiskyworld.blogspot.com
newwhiskyworld

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder