Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Bottle for HP

General chat and talk about whisky.

New Bottle for HP

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:08 pm

It seems that Highland Park are re-packaging their wonderful drink in new style bottles to be revealed at Whisky Live Glasgow. 8)
As long as they don't alter the stuff inside!
I'll try and post a picture after the event.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:19 am

Guys...the latest episode of WhiskyCast has a long interview with Jason Craig, the global controller for Highland Park. He's not a whisky man...but was smart enough to go in with one thing in mind..."thou shalt not touch the whisky...the whisky is good as it is..."

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 am

Here is a good picture of the new bottles:
http://www.nmwl.no//index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2656.0

I really like the new bottles. Sophisticated and old fashion. Showing the history of the company, so to say...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:18 am

Hmm, i'm unsure about these new bottles, they're quite nice looking, but they have a bourbony feel to their design for some reason.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:58 am

I'm a bit iffy too .... I like them but .....

I prefered the old bottles and did not think they need changing.

Agree with the bourbon feel too.

But sure, what do I know?????
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:02 pm

I was in the HP Masterclass at Whisky Live in Glasgow when they told us about the change.

They stated that the current bottle was introduced some years ago when HP were looking for cost cutting measures without changing the whisky itself. They now say tha tHP has moved forward a lot since then and should have a morefitting image of quality, thus a new bottle.

It was also said that when they have spoken to people doing market research, the most common request is to revert to the old-fashioned "Glug glug" when pouring HP.
This is translated as a thick / wide bottle neck like they used to have years ago, which makes that sound whilst pouring.

Personally, I like the bottle shape, but as yet I am not so convinced about the actual labels.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:24 pm

The old labels were not so hot either I suppose

but the bottles before that again I thought were the nicest.... (or they could of just been special limited bottlings) ... but why could they not have reverted all to these and save a mini fortune on paying some AD & PR consultants and also designers.

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:37 pm

The new labels look a bit generic, and I miss the Orkney scenes; but I have always preferred an understated look, anyway. Are the bottles oval-shaped? If so, they do look rather bourbony. As everyone is quick to state, it's what's inside that counts, and it's reassuring to hear that the ownership recognizes that as well. These days it's hard to escape the notion that you can put any old crap in a bottle and do well if you package it and sell it well. One need only look at the top-selling brands in every food and drink category to see how true that is, unfortunately.

Those old bottles always reminded me of ketchup bottles--appropriate enough for HP sauce!

(Note to Americans: HP is the UK equivalent of A-1.)
Deactivated Member

Postby maverick » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:01 pm

I actually like the current bottles and now after checking out the new ones I like the "old" ones even more. The current bottles look massive and robust. And the shape isn't anything special which makes it even more appealing to me. Remember, it's what's inside that counts! :D
maverick

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:05 pm

I won't let it bother me too much either as long as the amber nectar is okay :D
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Jobi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:19 pm

parvus wrote:Hmm, i'm unsure about these new bottles, they're quite nice looking, but they have a bourbony feel to their design for some reason.

Exactly. My first thought when I saw them was Bulleit Bourbon.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:52 pm

It seems to me that the guys up at Highland Park are rather concerned about the 'girlie' image their whisky has obtained of late, and this re-packaging is a desperate attempt to 'butch-up' their brand.

Foe me it's not working!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby maverick » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Girly? I would never say that about HP and since when is whiskey a butch (mans) drink? I've never seen a hairy guy covered in tattooes, chewing tobacco with a spit bucket beside him. Maybe that's just me :D
maverick

Postby maverick » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Drinking whiskey that is!
I think it is implied but I also know how it can get at this forum :wink:
maverick

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder