Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

About the flavours in whisky...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

About the flavours in whisky...

Postby Rankles » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:06 pm

I was reading up on what flavours whisky... and reading Michael Jacksons guide I kind of understood this...

These flavours we pick out are generally not actually what they taste like, but combinations of what was previously housed in the barrels, the location of the dostillery and th malt quality etc along with a dozen other factors that create particles of flavour which taste like real fruits and fragrances?

Is that right?
Rankles

Re: About the flavours in whisky...

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 am

Rankles wrote:These flavours we pick out are generally not actually what they taste like....

Uh...yeah...it's kind of complicated. Just what is inherent to the malt, and what is songs from the wood, is what it's all about. But you know, the flavours you pick out are what it tastes like.... :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:36 am

If I don't remember this wrong, about 80% of the nose and taste in whisky derives from the casks. So the casks has a high impact on the final product. That's one of the reasons we like to see what casks are used on the lables. :)

But as TattieHeid is writing,
the flavours you pick out are what it tastes like....
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Rankles » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Heh yeah I mean, bad phrasing on my part but what i mean is you can get a hint of strawberries when that whisky has never seen a setrawberry.
Rankles

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:55 am

[quote="Rankles"]Heh yeah I mean, bad phrasing on my part but what i mean is you can get a hint of strawberries when that whisky has never seen a setrawberry.[/quote

From my limited experience, the purpose of tasting notes are to help communicate the exereicne of nosing/tasting whiky to others,and to ourselves. Nobody will experince a whisky exactly the same way; depending upon my mood and other factors in my life, I expericne the same whisky differently myself.

At first, I felt frustrated that I did not pick up the smells and tastes that others seemed to. Or, I just discounted their experiences as being "over the top." Now, I just try to focus on the enjoymnet of the drink, and allow the smells and tastes to come to me; I don't stress what I am or am not picking up...

Or at least that is what I TRY to do.....

Just my thoughts..

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby sku » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:18 am

Rankles wrote:Heh yeah I mean, bad phrasing on my part but what i mean is you can get a hint of strawberries when that whisky has never seen a setrawberry.

Isn't Glenmorangie coming out with a strawberry wood finish? :P
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:32 am

Rankles wrote:Heh yeah I mean, bad phrasing on my part but what i mean is you can get a hint of strawberries when that whisky has never seen a setrawberry.

Yes you can have several different fruity notes, such as apples, pears and strawberries (and many others) in a whisky. This comes from esters (alcoholic strings) and other chemical reactions in the alcohol while distilling and from the reaction between the wood in the casks and the whisky.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:46 am

Yeah, look at the tasting notes on this website under "Whiskies" - they're never the same. There are some constants - like smoke, phenols, pear drops, vanilla, sherry, aniseed - but the rest are in the minds of the tasters.

I'd agree what Rich as to say about tasting. Never expect to taste old boots from a whisky.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:44 pm

As Aidan said there can be certian basic flavour profiles to a whiskey and many more others which come and go due to your form (state of mind :lol: ) setting and even where you are in a bottling (i.e. start, middle or end of a bottle).

Don't get too caught up in what flavours are in such and such whiskey as the next time you taste it it will be different. Just enjoy it and have fun trying to identify differences.

Sometimes I feel trying to figure out the whisky can take from the experience and I just drink it and enjoy.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:06 pm

There are however, loads of other factors that produce the taste/smells.

For instance the length of time the spirit is in contact with the copper of the still, the esthers that are released etc.

It really is a bit of a minefield
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Bullie wrote:

Yes you can have several different fruity notes, such as apples, pears and strawberries (and many others) in a whisky. This comes from esters (alcoholic strings) and other chemical reactions in the alcohol while distilling and from the reaction between the wood in the casks and the whisky.

And if I have not been misled, or have not simply misunderstood, these esters are identical or similar to such in the referenced fruit, the result of various chemical processes. Or maybe someone will tell me I'm hunting for polyps again.
Deactivated Member

Postby maverick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 pm

I think that taste is not an objective thing and that is why reviews differ so much. As with much other things, like cigars for example, drinking whiskey is a personal experience. Taste and smell can also trigger memories from the past making you brain sense things others don't. When I drink Ardbeg 10 there is something in the nose that reminds me of a plum spirit my grandfather use to make which I would be surprised if anyone else would pick up.
maverick

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder