Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch Malt Whisky Assoc

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Scotch Malt Whisky Assoc

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Is anyone here a member from a country without its own society? They don't operate in Ireland, but I presume they would post whisky if I paid the extra cost? I suppose this is a question I could ask them myself.

Anyway, good value for money?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

SMWS

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Aidan,

Personally I don't think it's worth it unless you have access to the bars. It's great getting down there and trying a few of their bottlings, with some friends, but at the end of the day they're really just another IB.

They do some fantastic whiksies, but there are some real stinkers in there too, IMO. With regards consistency, I think they're pretty low down the list. I guess that is not what the SMWS is about.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks Bamber. I was considering joining, sure enough, but maybe my money would be better off paying my taxes. I've already spent way too much money on whisky this year.
Aidan

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:37 am

A similar thread is here
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3437&highlight=smws

Still say the society is great value for money IMHO and i've only ever tried 3 really bad bottlings from memory (A Jura , A Glengoyne and a Glenfarclas ....yes there has been a bad Society bottling of a Farclas ....Ask at the bar in the Vaults !) .
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi Aidan,
I was always a (happy) member whilst still in the UK, but when I moved to Germany I was not allowed to remain a member of the Society in Scotland.
There is an affiliated society / branch, based in Holland, which covers the rest of the EU.

To be honest, their service was lousy, the monthly magazines never arrived - which meant I had no information about the bottlings and no chance to buy.
After some time and many complaints I finally decided to leave the Society.

If you are allowed to remain a member and recieve offers from the original Scottish Society, then I would say go ahead, the bottlings are really worthwhile.
If they try to make you join the EU version, based in Holland, then good luck.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:35 pm

I'm a UK member even though I live in Canada and I can buy at other branches without being a member of them which I do frequently. As with any club, if you don't use it then there's little point. Quite frankly I've NEVER purchased a bad bottle from them and can't imagine myself not being a member.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Keith, Lawrence and Gordon. I suppose the membership isn't that expensive, and I'd try to join the Scottish one, if I could. Ryanair flights are quite cheap to Scotland, so maybe I could get some value out of it.

It might be a birthday present.
Aidan

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder