Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker Swing

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Johnnie Walker Swing

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:13 pm

Does anyone have any information on this product, specifically age?
Why is it so hard to find information?

Alan
Alan

Postby Opi » Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:28 pm

JW Swing is 12 years old. In the 20s this blend has been created for oceanliner, therefor its bottle with a rounded bottom, so that it will never tip over - just swing.
At some places its name is Celebrity, in Taiwan it is sold under the Label Swing Superior. (found in W. Schoberts Whisky Lexikon)
Hope it will help you.
Opi
Opi

Postby badams » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:10 am

Not sure if 12 is correct though. Dont think House of Walker has ever published that information.
I do know that it will make you stop drinking ALL Highland malt, except maybe Craggenmore and Balvenie. NO PUSSYFOOTIN' its better than Balvenie, period!
Blended back when price didnt matter and every malt wanted JW to use theirs, he blended his last concoction, JW Swing.
Dont know if its a vatted malt, but it is exceptionally smooth and the BEST BLEND I know of. Think Ive had em all over the last 30 years. Remember it 20 years ago, and it became basically extinct. ITS BACK and only a fool would turn their nose up to possibly the worlds best blended scotch!

At 55us dollars locally, Ill get it all!

I wish Michael Jackson would review it so all would know that its a 9 out of 10! But better is that he doesnt and I know. Price vs Quality give me Ardbeg 10, Redbreast 12 and Johnnie Walker Swing and the rest of the buggers can nitpick over-priced, over-aged and over-finished versions. Ill stick to the best. Cardhu(probably the MOST underrated malt) is the backbone of Swing. The demand for Cardhu wipes out ALL the stock no matter how much they make so they wont be advertising this stuff.

Hope that helps
badams

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:35 am

Think Ive had em all over the last 30 years. Remember it 20 years ago, and it became basically extinct. ITS BACK and only a fool would turn their nose up to possibly the worlds best blended scotch

I admire your zeal and enthusiasm, but not sure I'd agree with your sentiments.

If a blend was around 20 years ago, disappeared for two decades, and was then re-launched, you can guarantee that it will taste very different to how it did originally.

And there's little point making references to the original blend that Mr J Walker concocted in the 19th century, since a lot of the distilleries he used at that time have long since disappeared or been re-built.

I'm not even sure JW Swing actually disappeared; I think it just got allocated to a smaller & unique market.

Anyway, if anyone else has any personal experience with this whisky (i.e. you've tasted it, I'd certainly be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:50 am

I admire badam's zeal, also, and welcome him to the boards. I admit he even has me wanting to try a dram of of Swing, just to see what he'so crazy about. But baddy, you should realize that presenting your opinion as such incontrovertible fact will only cause those whose opinions don't match yours to dismiss your opinions altogether. We don't want that. There is room for all here; the only opinion you're not allowed to have is that others' opinions are wrong, or must match yours. No one can ever tell you that you don't really love Swing that much! Feel free to continue gracing us with your opinions--that's what we're all here for.

Anybody have JM handy? He must have rated it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:58 pm

I don't have JM handy, but I know it was in the high 70s, the lowest in the JW range.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Where can one purchase a Johnny Walker Swing? And do they still have the round bottomed bottles of yore?
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:40 pm

Marvin wrote:Where can one purchase a Johnny Walker Swing?

Try the 60's :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Marvin wrote:Where can one purchase a Johnny Walker Swing? And do they still have the round bottomed bottles of yore?

Many duty free shops carry it; at least in Latin America.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:27 pm

The Round-Bottomed Bottles of Yore would be a cool name for a band.
Deactivated Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:22 pm

It can easily be found in the Washington, DC market.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:35 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:The Round-Bottomed Bottles of Yore would be a cool name for a band.

That's why Reggaeblues hasn't been seen for a day or two .... he's given up playing bleggae and is now playing folk music. He's given up Scotch in favour of pints of scrumpy with indescribable floating lumps in it....
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Re: Johnnie Walker Swing

Postby mapleleaves » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 am

My first post... and it was Johnnie Walker Swing that brought me to this forum...

I have tried it, and been through a couple bottles by myself (at a leisurely pace, of course). I find it to be smoother than any Bourbon. It has, for lack of a better phrase, a more casual feel than Blue Label. Blue has a bit of a bite that reminds you that it's supposed to be enjoyed slowly and expensively.

A Diageo rep told me that Swing was being pulled back, but I've started seeing it in more stores than I did a year ago. I highly recommend it to anyone that won't be buying it up in the stores where I shop!
mapleleaves

Postby bond » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:48 am

If its indeed being pulled back, then it might be worth picking one up as a collectible.. knowing the folks at Diageo though, the risk is that they might relaunch a decade later !!!
bond
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I see JW Swing at the liquor store but I have not paid attention to it. I think its similar to Pinch but not very sure. At least they have the same odd looking bottle. I should buy and try it out.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby ncardenas » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:48 am

it is still available in northern south america,i believe it is quite diferent from other J.W. blends,in fact i prefer swing fron the rest of the blendeds,or the green label.hope they do keep it on production. :smoke:
ncardenas

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder